WS Domain & Exchange

I'm usually pretty darn good at this, but cant help thinking im doing something wrong, or have some knowledge on how to set it up correctly.

Windows Questions
    I WILL be install WS2003 EE R2 on a dedicated server.
    However, I will make this into a DC/AD so I can install Exchange and serve the system as a Webserver. All that's fine

But the question during the creation of an DC props up.

I have 2 domains. I will also have 2 dedicated IP's.
    Now, lets say I have domains www.aaa.com and www.bbb.com

1) Would I Install and configure DNS on this server? Remember, this is a dedicated server located in a datacenter somewhere with their infrastructure in place.

2) Would I need to configure anything in the LAN settings? Should I just leave everything to automatically detect IP and DNS Servers? (No other computer will be joining this domain)

anything else I should be aware of?

ok, now I have those domain names, I would need to update the DNS Records from the web hoster right? So I would need to update the NS records (The place I purchased the domain from)

Exchange

Now, since I will be creating several user accounts here, these user accounts will be for email addresses.

1) Is it possible to have 2 domains on this 1 exchange server? I'm guessing not? (I dont have knowledge about exchange)

2) What about configuring an exchange server? How would I say create an email address like "[email protected]"? So this email account would then be able to send/recieve email?

Thanks!
    Last edited by firehawk1010; 03-06-2008 at 07:29 PM.

You should really install DNS on the server, as Active Directory prefers to use the local DNS server to store its domain details. You can use an external DNS server if you must but I would recommend setting up your own, if only for AD use.

For your LAN settings, you must have a static IP and the server must be set to use its own DNS server (or the external one you set AD up with) as its primary DNS server.

You can have as many domains as you like on your exchange server, the method for setting these up, and setting up users, is different depending on what version of exchange you are using, so feel free to give me a shout and I can give you some advice on that.

ok, it does have DNS server setup (I just looked) and using a static external IP also.

I will be using Exchange Server 2003

thanks so much for your help, its much appreciated, just trying to install it now but facing a problem currently, and also trying to get my domain name transferred/configured so it points to the server....but taking its time or ive messed up some setting somewhere.

hmmm ok ive screwed up something somewhere with my domain. perhaps you could help me? I'd appreciate it.

server details:

has 2 IP's
    has a static IP Assigned to the server as well as DNS Settings as well. has 2 IP's added into the network configuration.

I've also created a website in IIS and assigned the IP Address to it (the one im going to be using for the domain)

Domain settings:

logged into my control panel from where I have the domain from/bought it from and set the nameservers to be of the hosters and set the A and WWW records to point to one of the IP's assigned to my server.

it doesnt seem to work, not pingable or anything....

ok, the domain works fine now...woohoo. now to install exchange and get back to you

ok ive got it up and running after days! basically I had to set the DNS LAN Settings to 127.0.0.1, demote then promote the DC (re-install the DC) and set the full DNS name to whatever.local rather than domainname.co.uk. That all seemed to work fine and now installing Exchange

right, now how do I go about setting up user accounts and web access for 1 domain?

what if I wanted to add another domain into exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk1010 View Post
    ok ive got it up and running after days! basically I had to set the DNS LAN Settings to 127.0.0.1, demote then promote the DC (re-install the DC) and set the full DNS name to whatever.local rather than domainname.co.uk. That all seemed to work fine and now installing Exchange

right, now how do I go about setting up user accounts and web access for 1 domain?

what if I wanted to add another domain into exchange?
    If you're using .local as your AD domain name ensure you change your SMTP virtual server's hostname to be an FQDN. If you start sending mail out from 'yourserver.domain.local' it'll end up getting blocked.

Set up your user accounts via ADUC and it will prompt you to add an Exchange mailbox at the end. Adding additional SMTP domains can be set up under recipients > recipient policies within ESM.

What do you mean by web access? Do you mean host a website?

As a side note, you seem to be learning as you go. If this is a production setup I'd really reccomend getting someone who knows to set it up for you. Windows is quite easy to pick up for a tech-savvy person, but if it's sat on the internet and not set up correctly it'll be hacked within 5 minutes.

Dan

thanks.
    well yeh im usually pretty good in Windows admin etc... but yes I am learning on the go as I like to.

I've gotten exchange up and running with OWA using SSL (self created certificate).

ok now, how do I go about creating several user accounts for 1 user (easy) BUT allowing the user to select any one of their assigned email addresses to send FROM?

This is one of the problems with exchange, there isn't an easy way to do this. The best thing you can do is give the user the send from permission for the accounts, then in outlook, use the from field to enter the address you want to send from.

The "From" field, is the user allowed to edit in Outlook 2003/2007? in OWA I can't seem to modify that even though the user has been given send permission from the other email accounts.

in addition, when a recipient sends an email to say:

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

and bob has access to both, when they send it from [email protected], it gets "translated" to the Primary email address of bob, how can I prevent it from doing that so it actually shows who the recipient truthfully sent the email to ([email protected])

I have always setup a different user say like the following.

[email protected] and delegate permission to [email protected] you could always attempt to create a distrabusion list for [email protected] and just add [email protected]. This has worked for me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk1010 View Post
    The "From" field, is the user allowed to edit in Outlook 2003/2007? in OWA I can't seem to modify that even though the user has been given send permission from the other email accounts.

in addition, when a recipient sends an email to say:

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

and bob has access to both, when they send it from [email protected], it gets "translated" to the Primary email address of bob, how can I prevent it from doing that so it actually shows who the recipient truthfully sent the email to ([email protected])