Requesting Help to become a Technical Support Representative

Where do I start? How can I gain experience and knowledge to get my first job as a Technical Support Representative? I would like to eventually work for DreamHost as a Technical Support Representative. What level of Technical Support Representative is DreamHost looking for? Are there any certificates that I can obtain to give me job-related knowledge? Every company seems to have a different idea of what Level 1 Technical Support is and they all want applicants to have prior experience. How can I break into the field if I need prior experience for Level 1 Technical Support?

Hi Tamakyo,

Many (though not all) places requiring X number of years experience are intentionally asking for more than they really need. If they're asking for one or two years experience, they meane "don't bother coming to us if you're a big freaking loser".

A big part of providing quality tech support is being able to communicate in an empathetic and clear manner. This involves being able to listen well. If you have an understanding of the technical issues that your employer's service offerings my present and you can provide that you have an above average ability to communicate, you'll be half way there.

Now if you really want to take proactive measures, go get your A+. In the real world, it won't really do much for you. On a personal level, it'll at least give you a solid understanding of hardware, Windows and networking basics (with an emphasis on basics). Some, though not many, employers will allow certifications in place of experience. I feel this is silly but so are the Muppets, and who doesn't like the Muppets?!
    Bill - Support Analyst - Liveblock Auctions International
    http://www.LiveGlobalBid.com

You know, you could always request an informational interview. If you're granted one, that would be a good time to ask them lots of questions, such as what exactly they're looking for in an Tier I technical support position.
    Bill - Support Analyst - Liveblock Auctions International
    http://www.LiveGlobalBid.com

Working on dreamhost doesn't take much. Just have an incredible arrogant attitude and practice ignoring being screamed at by irate customers.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by Tamakyo View Post
    Where do I start? How can I gain experience and knowledge to get my first job as a Technical Support Representative? I would like to eventually work for DreamHost as a Technical Support Representative. What level of Technical Support Representative is DreamHost looking for? Are there any certificates that I can obtain to give me job-related knowledge? Every company seems to have a different idea of what Level 1 Technical Support is and they all want applicants to have prior experience. How can I break into the field if I need prior experience for Level 1 Technical Support?
    My first suggestion is to not limit yourself to one particular company. This will set yourself up for a larger failure rate than just applying or looking at any old company. There are plenty of Level 1 support gigs on the employment forums as well here. Try picking through some of them and see what you qualify for. If you don't qualify for anything, look at some volunteer gigs to get your experience levels up. There are always ways to work your way to the top in any situation.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca