My emails from Virtual Dedicated Server stopped downloading to Outlook.

Hi,

I have a virtual dedicated server hosted with "Domains Priced Right" I have several domains hosted on the server with emails for each. I used to be able to view my emails in Outlook however recently I've been getting the error (0x80042108) 'Outlook cannot connect to incoming (POP3) email server'

I've switched to thunderbird and still have the same problem. "Could not connect to the server mail.blahblah.com; the connection was refused."

I have about 10 domains and I can't see the emails for any of them.

I know the emails are there I can see them when I use webmail. I know thunderbird works because it can get email from gmail and my ISP. It just won't connect to the server and download them.

Things worked in the past so I'm perplexed. I'm running Windows Vista and maybe a new update has caused a problem. It may be a firewall issue but I've had a look at that. Also I did do a clean up of some old drivers.

There's a help document on Microsoft about the (0x80042108) error and I think the most likely problem is I have a corrupted email file. But I have deleted most of the emails from webmail and I still have the problem. Is there a way to identify and delete corrupted emails from the server?

If anyone has any ideas on what has caused my problem and how I could fix it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Travis

try blahblah.com instead of mail.blahblah.com as your incoming mail server. Or use your IP.

hope this works

Hi,

No that didn't help.

I have several domains sharing the same IP so I can't use the IP.

The settings in Outlook haven't changed so it must be something else.

Thanks,
    Travis

Hi,

Verify if POP service is up on your server.

hope to help

How do I verify the POP service?

I have plesk or can access through putty.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenhouse View Post
    Hi,

I have several domains sharing the same IP so I can't use the IP.
    no problem if this shared, you can use it.

KB: http://kb.swsoft.com/en/1418

Try this portion in ssh:

Check if courier-imap is running:

ps ax | grep courier
    If you see no output, try to start Courier-imap through Plesk CP or from the command line: "$PRODUCT_RC_D/courier-imap start".
    Check /var/log/message and $PRODUCT_ROOT_D/var/log/maillog for possible start up errors.

If you see the password error during POP3/IMAP login, check that you use the right mail user name and the password, you may change them through Plesk CP to be sure. Also try to run courier-imap with the default configuration. To do it, backup original /etc/courier-imap/imapd (/etc/courier-imap/pop3d for POP3) and replace it with /etc/courier-imap/imapd.dist (/etc/courier-imap/pop3d.dist). Then restart courier-imap and try to login again. In case of success compare the original and *.dist files in order to find the option that cause the problem.

Hi,

Thanks the IP address still didn't help.

My server wide mail preferences are;

Code:
    Relaying closed
     authorization is required: 
     POP3  lock time   20 Min 

Check the passwords for mailboxes in the dictionary  

Switch on SPF spam protection
    SPF checking mode  Only create Received-SPF headers, never block Use temporary error notices when you have DNS lookup problems Reject mails when SPF resolves to "fail" (deny) Reject mails when SPF resolves to "softfail" Reject mails when SPF resolves to "neutral" Reject mails when SPF does not resolve to "pass"  
    SPF local rules  
    SPF guess  
    SPF explanation text  

Names for POP3/IMAP mail accounts  
     Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed

The grep of courier resulted in the following.

Code:
    28360 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/couriertcpd -address=0 -stderrlogger=/usr/sbin/courierlogger -stderrloggername=imapd -maxprocs=40 -maxperip=4 -pid=/var/run/imapd.pid -nodnslookup -noidentlookup 143 /usr/sbin/imaplogin /usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa /usr/bin/imapd Maildir
    28362 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/courierlogger imapd
    28370 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/couriertcpd -address=0 -stderrlogger=/usr/sbin/courierlogger -stderrloggername=imapd-ssl -maxprocs=40 -maxperip=4 -pid=/var/run/imapd-ssl.pid -nodnslookup -noidentlookup 993 /usr/bin/couriertls -server -tcpd /usr/sbin/imaplogin /usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa /usr/bin/imapd Maildir
    28372 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/courierlogger imapd-ssl
    28387 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/couriertcpd -address=0 -stderrlogger=/usr/sbin/courierlogger -stderrloggername=pop3d-ssl -maxprocs=40 -maxperip=4 -pid=/var/run/pop3d-ssl.pid -nodnslookup -noidentlookup 995 /usr/bin/couriertls -server -tcpd /usr/sbin/pop3login /usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa /usr/bin/pop3d Maildir
    28389 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/courierlogger pop3d-ssl
    18180 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep courier

I'm not sure what the results from that grep means.

Since I'm using POP3 would you still recommend I rename pop3d to pop3d-old or some such and replace with pop3d.dist.

My shell is a little rusty.

I guess I use something like
    Code:
    mv pop3d pop3d-old
    cp pop3d.dist pop3d

I replaced the POP3 file and that didn't do anything either.

Hmmmm.

I doubt you have a corrupted email file, if they are corrupted you shouldn't be able to see them in webmail. Since you mention your provider is unmanaged and paying that price I would suggest you take a look at the vps offering section. There are tones of well-known host that have a similiar plan and with fully managed that is willing to help and solve your problem.

IMO linux + 3rd party control panel is a pain in the neck unless you know linux inside out. Might as well having someone to manage it for you if you are mainly hosting domain/websites.

Hi,

How do you know how much I'm paying for the server?

It's about $40 per month, that's with plesk supporting 30 domains and 10 GB disk space with 500 GB bandwidth.

Is that cheap?

Still doesn't solve my immediate problem.

Thanks,
    Travis

Ok, has your ISP blocked the email ports?
    Master Reseller Accounts
    Shared Hosting
    VPS hosting
    ToastHosts.com support{at}toasthosts.com

Good question. How do I answer it?

I really doubt ISP block certain email port. If you are really want to check you can try changing your pop server port and see if you can connect to it. Or ask one of your client to access the mail server.

For the price you are paying, I would say it is certainly not cheap.

I don't know what you do with your domains but imo take a look at the offer section. I would definatly take a look at JaguarPC as they seem to be running some interesting offer and I've heard some good word while trolling in the forum. Always do a search on WHT about the company before you give anyone your money.

To check if you are being blocked, do telnet hostname 110 and see if it responds with something like hello. 110 is the port number for POP.

chickenhouse, i highly recommend to contact with your VPS company. I think only they can point problem you facing.

Quote Originally Posted by dotflyer View Post
    chickenhouse, i highly recommend to contact with your VPS company. I think only they can point problem you facing.
    Agreed... unless his VPS is unmanaged

Switching Provider

Hi,

I still haven't resolved this and yes the VPS is unmanaged and useless. I'm in the process of switching to JaguarPC so hopefully they will be more helpful. :-)

Thanks,
    Travis