Photo site hosting recommendation?

My friend is a photographer and is looking for hosting.

She has a ton of photos, but I'm guessing wouldn't need too a ton of bandwith yet because she's not well know (yet).

She does have 200GB of photos, though.

I was looking at the Small Biz plan at a2hosting.com

any others I should consider?

What's your friends budget?

With those requirements your most likely looking at a dedicated server. That host that you are looking at is overselling which means they sell more space than they can offer. You might think how can a host still offer that? Well just read their terms of service. They probably have something in there where you can't use up a lot of resources which will make it impossible to ever use up your space and bandwidth.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat9090 View Post

She has a ton of photos, but I'm guessing wouldn't need too a ton of bandwith yet because she's not well know (yet).

While many of the bigger hosts will be able to provide you with the space you're looking for, I think in the best interest of her pictures, she should be on a dedicated server.
    Kaumil P.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak View Post
    What's your friends budget?
    Probably up to $20 per month, but I'm guessing that's not enough for dedicated hosting?

Netfirms hosting isn't so great but you can get 3 free domains and a years hosting for 10 bucks if you use the coupon code "MAX" I did that and I used it for backups and I'm currently storing about 50gb of data with no issue. Slow upload though.

Why not use specialized photo hosting services like flickr or smugmug?

The 200GB would have to be uploaded though. That's quite a bit of data transfer, despite appearances. For using 200GB of space, I would not be looking at shared hosting, unless this is for a hobby, and would not lose much should the host's policies (regarding how/for what the space can be used) change, resulting in an account suspension.

Perhaps scaling down the pictures before uploading them would not be a bad idea (monitors are only so big, 3000x2000 resolutions are not that common ), and it would save a lot of space.

I vote for flickr and scaling the photos
    /me hides his 25GB of photos
    Got Fused?

There is a lot of companies for your need. If you wish to store and brows photos safely you can seek some bigger host. If I was in your place I should select hostgator or blue host.

Because they offer large disk space and bandwidth. As they are best company, they also have best servers and services so there is no need for worries about safety. Also they can provide low price range. I think it is enough for your needs.

Binesh.

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat9090 View Post

The problem you have here is that many hosting companies will appear to have ample space for your photo's but the truth is somewhere in the middle.

As you may have noticed while browsing these forums the term 'overselling' this is what a lot of companies do nowadays, you should however carefully read their terms of use, and contact their sales department to check if they really let you use those 200GB of pictures.

If you just want to store these 200GB of pictures (and do not need to show them online) you may also choose for a backup solution, these are a lot cheaper in usage and you will have all those great pictures backed up on a off-site location.

As suggested, you can also lower the quality of the pictures, but if your friends idea was to have them on a secondary location (incase someone borrows his pc, or other disasters happen) that is something he will not like to do. (what good are high resolution photo's in a backup if they are scaled down).

Hope this information helps you.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

200GB sounds like an *awful lot*. How many images is this? And in what format? There's no point in having print-quality images on web pages. If there are separate versions for downloading and printing, then the downloadable version could be zipped I guess.

Anyway, seems like a shared account won't do and you'll likely need a dedicated server. Expect to pay at least 50-100 $$/month in that case.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I think if she downsizes the images and saves them in quality jpg format it could potentially cut that 200gb to 5gb if not less. If that's the case, then a shared host or vps would do.

Just a guestimate, how many photos are there?

Indeed, as gamingdoneright says there is no need to upload those big images to the server, a 640x480 example will suffice.

Also this opens commercial doors, since you can more easily sell the big versions of the image on request/order.
    hi there!

If you get a VPS use cramfs or squasfs to compress that 200GB of raw data.