Affordable ways to drive traffic to your web host

I consider myself pretty good when it comes to different marketing tactics and of course, the basic ways to drive free or cheap targeted traffic to my website. Of course, I could only call myself conceded if I didn't continuously try to find new ways to drive traffic to my site. My question to all of you is, what are some good affordable methods you use to drive traffic to your web hosting site?

Link exchanges, word of mouth, article/directory submissions, targeted sub pages, social bookmarks, and cheap one-way links are some great sources. But maybe I am missing some? Please share your thoughts! *Thanks in advance*

Paint your URL on your back and then go streaking during a soccer game :p
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by AmyWilliams View Post
    Yeah...because everyone knows soccer is huge in the U.S.

4. How about a simple (and very old fashioned) Letter Box / Junk Mail drop.

Printing a simple flyer/brochure and wandering the neighbourhood putting copies in peoples letter boxes can be done very cheaply.

Thanks,

Matthew

Printing a simple flyer/brochure and wandering the neighbourhood putting copies in peoples letter boxes can be done very cheaply.
    Couldn't that be considered tampering with mail and arguably trespassing? (although not technically, I'm sure it could be made to stick..) One is a federal offense and the other one is a misdemeanor. You could put something on their door though.

Edit: Guess I'm wrong? Google found me this:

Section 13.411. Tampering with mail.
    Tampering with mail is wilfully opening, destroying, damaging, or taking into possession without the express or implied consent of the sender or addressee a postcard, letter, package, envelope or parcel entrusted by the sender to another for delivery to a third person. This section does not apply to a person employed by a postal, government, or private courier service who acts in good faith in performance of his official duties. Tampering with mail is a category three misdemeanor.
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288

SERP drives always good trafic. The most relevant one. SEO and SEM is great couple.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ResellerByMatt View Post
    How about a simple (and very old fashioned) Letter Box / Junk Mail drop.

Thanks,

Matthew
    It did work for us back in 2004/2005. Since then we started targetting local clients and quite happy with that move.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

affliate marketing and email sender software is good ...but gottabe careful with the email sender ..

One different way would be to write some handy software, give it away and automatically claim a back link on each install.

It's one sure fire way to get nice anchor texts from IP addresses all over the globe pointing to your site. It'll bring in real traffic and help boost page rank which might make more people want to link to you.

I've built two PR6 pages with this method so know it works, it brings in real visitors as well as helps with the SEO and brand awareness.

Might be a 'long game' method, if you're after a quicker hit I'd go with the suggestions above to mail-drop local businesses with your offer.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyWilliams View Post
    Interesting aspect, although as someone stated, soccer is not big the US of A. I will be doing something similar to this though. I plan on having a new sign made to put in the back windshield of my new sports car i'll be getting in the new few weeks. Also, i'll be putting some lettering on the side as well which couldn't hurt. A nice sports car with some advertising on it may do well, plus its a partial tax write off!

Some other great options in there! I am considering doing some mail drops now as well but am worried about the laws. what do i do about that just walk into a UPS store and I ask if I can put these flyers into the PO boxes? Or walk up to a business and ask if they want a flyer? Not really sure about how to go about that.

@ andymoo, I love that idea and have considered it. I've purchased a number of links on wordpress themes that will be put on numerous site's for free download. Once these sit for a bit and get more and more downloads then it should start gathering some good one-way links.
    Last edited by midwestmerchant; 03-06-2008 at 02:15 PM.