Thread: Burst.net rant

Angry Burst.net rant

I've had it. Burst simply is incapable of doing their job.

They took 3 weeks to install our machine.

They sent an invoice with no due date, less than a week after the machine went online (and the initial payment was for install + 1 month)

They NEVER EVER respond to any email, to billing, support, or anywhere else.

They have had repeated outages, despite claiming "99.5%" uptime, I have yet to see a single day with less than 1 hour downtime.

Our server has been rebooted 4 times in the last week with no notice or explaination (at least twice uncleanly shut down).

Today, I have been getting 25% packet loss to the server, and when attempting to get help about it, I was told "You have to have an AOL account" which is unprofessional, unrealisitic (I am behind a firewall), and ridiculous.

After asking to have these issues looked into, not only were none of them addressed or resolved, but they seem to have blocked outgoing 6667-? ports (which is IRC,and I realise that IRC is "not allowed" which is mainly for troublemakers who invite attacks against the network, which I have never done).

If they had bothered to EVER do their f*cking job then I wouldnt care. But this underwhelming company has just lost themselves a customer.

One more thing, I just noticed, that the CPU we are paying for is "AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+". The CPU as reported by Linux, is "AMD Athlon(tm)" at 1044.883 Mhz. This is clearly false advertising and theft. I may consider pursuing legal action against Burst.

Pursue then. Make them pay for screwing you. Make sure you take screen shots and record the information first though, as proof.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

You should keep in mind that AMD chips are mis-labeled for marketing reasons. An AMD 1600+ isn't 1600MHz, but it *IS* as fast or faster than a 1600MHz P4. I bought an AMD 1700+ XP last week and it is 1470MHz. So, AMD is sortof being tricky, but at the same time, from what I understand they carefully compare their CPUs with Intel and label them with numbers similarly to Intel chips of the same performance.

skiingyac, I realize that. However, I happen to have PRECISELY the same CPU as we were supposed to get running on a computer at home. Here is (shortened) output of /proc/cpuinfo from our burst server:

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm)
    cpu MHz : 1044.883
    cache size : 256 KB
    bogomips : 2084.04

and here it is from my personal machine:

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+
    cpu MHz : 1403.210
    cache size : 256 KB
    bogomips : 2798.38

This is very clearly not the same model CPU. I appreciate your reply though.

Could be an incorrect bios setting for the bus speed causing that.

The thing is, both me and my friend who run the server together remember looking at the /proc/cpuinfo data when the machine was first installed and I certainly would have noticed this. Perhaps one of the many times they crashed our machine with no explaination, they also screwed up the BIOS or moved the hard drive to another box or did something else equally stupid. I don't care at this point.

Also, It's unlikely that it's a BIOS setting since its not just the MHZ value that's wrong, its the model_name reported by linux 2.4.18 (running on both machines i mentioned)

Just making sure, I realize now that yeah there's no way that a 1600+ should run at 1GHz... Whether its a bus speed configuration problem (unintentionally due to lack of skill) or them giving you the wrong hardware (intentionally or otherwise), it doesn't say anything good about them.

I had an AMD Athlon 1600 XP System, I thought I got jacked at first, because it didnt say Amd 1600 XP, it said something like you posted. However I changed the FSB in the bios settings, and it changed the chip details accross the system.

Originally posted by vigor
    I had an AMD Athlon 1600 XP System, I thought I got jacked at first, because it didnt say Amd 1600 XP, it said something like you posted. However I changed the FSB in the bios settings, and it changed the chip details accross the system.

So either way burst looks like a dumbass right??

Originally posted by The Prohacker

So either way burst looks like a dumbass right??
    Yep

Don't worry, word is that BurstNET will chew itself from the inside. Something is wrong when there is more administrative staff then there are technicans.

Well, I actually went with them in the first place because someone I know was a L2 support engineer, and he just quit about 2 weeks ago. I need to get off their network before it completely implodes...