Send Mail Error impeding our site launch!!!

So yesterday my team completed our website. Everything uploaded perfectly and works without a hitch except send mail.

When someone registers on our forum or registers on the main site they are send an e-mail validation, standard procedure. However the e-mails do not get through!

It looks like every email provider is filtering out some part of the email. I don't know whether it's the domain, ip, subject/message contents. Please take a look for yourself. We are using an offshore server in the Netherlands. The only email provider that would even accept our e-mails so far has been Gmail and Gmail automatically thought it was spam.

We have tried our scripts on a US host (1and1.com) and they e-mail to any email provider no problem. So I don't know for sure what's going on. Unfortunately I am about to get rid of 1and1 so I can't use them permanently.

Here are the contents of our failed email:
    Code:
    Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
       SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
       host um-smtpin-nlb1.um.xxsystem.xxx [209.106.xxx.x]:
       550 5.2.1 Msg Rejected. Spammy sounding HELO domain "nl-92-48-193-8.infinite.firm.in" or NOT FQDN.  Forward THIS msg to *YOUR EMAIL ADMINS* to fix with a cc:
       to [email protected] - [email protected] msg to [email protected] failed-00:42:11 03-05-2008. IP 92.48.193.8 - Tin2 - Google (SMTP command HELO) for how to fix.

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <[email protected]>
    Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1])
           by nl-92-48-193-8.infinite.firm.in with smtp (Exim 4.68)
           (envelope-from <[email protected]>)
           id 1JWnKL-0001HF-A9
           for [email protected]; Wed, 05 Mar 2008 07:42:09 +0100
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 07:42:09 +0100
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Registration at xxxxx.net Forums ( xxxxx.net Forums )
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: IPB PHP Mailer
    Content-type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
    We are using IPB forum and have our board incomming and outgoing email as [email protected] using mail delivery method: PHP Mail(). We have also tried switching the delivery mothod to SMTP only to get the same problem.

This has really caused a big let down for us. It worked fine on a test site but on our new host it's being a little uncooperative. We absolutely need our e-mail to be accepted at all of the major email providers or we have nothing!!

A support ticket to our host only gave us this:
    Hello,

Your the only case, everyone elses seems to be working. Try adding headers to your mail (observe the complete email sent from an hotmail account to your gmail account and then replicate the headers into your php script).

Everyone else hosted on the server have no problems.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Exactly the same problem on exactly the same host... www*infinitetech*in right?

I have the same problem, mails only work to gmail. microsoft and many other isps are blocking the mails, but i can get them in my test gmail account!

These are mails sent via phpbb.... do you have a solution to the problem?

Seems too simple but have you checked that the IPs aren't listed on the more popular RBLs? Spamhaus, Spamcop...

Have you setup reverse DNS?

Quote Originally Posted by spudlet View Post
    Exactly the same problem on exactly the same host... www*infinitetech*in right?

I have the same problem, mails only work to gmail. microsoft and many other isps are blocking the mails, but i can get them in my test gmail account!

These are mails sent via phpbb.... do you have a solution to the problem?
    yep you're dead on. I just moved to a new host and alls well. They said nobody else was having these issues and obviously they were wrong or lying.

I checked the server IP and they all come out ok.

and no I'm not sure what reverse DNS is so I can't tell you if I have or have not attempted that.

Spammy sounding HELO domain "nl-92-48-193-8.infinite.firm.in" or NOT FQDN
    From the above error its clear that its a Reverse DNS issue. So try adding a proper rDNS entry and it should work fine.

One e-mail anti-spam technique is to check the domain names in the rDNS to see if they are likely from dialup users, dynamically assigned addresses, or home-based broadband customers. Since the vast majority, but by no means all, of e-mail that originates from these computers is spam, many mail servers also refuse e-mail with missing or "generic" rDNS names.

3 months, nothing was wrong. Everyone got emails and everything was okay. It seems that mail servers have increased their policy on accepting emails.

Yep, I have requested the DC to add the PTR/rDNS

Should be resolved soon

The problem as reported by the error message is that the receiving server does not like the EHLO string it receives in the SMTP session. It really takes an understanding of SMTP to see the problem. I will try to explain, but howstuffworks.com has a great article on email and I highly advise you read it as the SMTP protocol is very simple compared to other protocols.

Basically, your server opens up a TCP/IP socket (standard web connection) to the mail server and they have a conversation as such.....

REC: 220 Server Type, Name and Version
    SEND: EHLO nl-92-48-193-8.infinite.firm.in
    REC: 250 Ok
    SEND: MAIL FROM: <[email protected]_domain.com>
    REC: 250 Ok

On start, the receiving server (REC) sends a banner and a status code (the 220 part). SMTP uses the status codes to determine if a command was accepted by the other side.
    200-299 = Command accepted
    400-499 = Temp Failure (command rejected but we keep talking)
    500-599 = Perm Failure (command rejected, we can't talk anymore on this connection)

Your problem judging from the error message is that the EHLO your server is sending (nl-92-48-193-8.infinite.firm.in) is being seen as spam like by the receiving server, so its replying to your EHLO command with a 550 (perm failure). You should be able to modify the EHLO domain name used by your mail server when it sends.

REC: 220 Server Type, Name and Version
    SEND: EHLO nl-92-48-193-8.infinite.firm.in
    REC: 550 5.2.1 Msg Rejected. Spammy sounding HELO domain "nl-92-48-193-8.infinite.firm.in" or NOT FQDN
    ....(at this point your server disconnects and sends your notification of the failure)

Thanks guys.

I'll keep you posted on when its fixed
    Last edited by spudlet; 03-08-2008 at 03:35 PM.

my mail gets through to gmail without going to spam, it appears in the yahoo spam box, however none of my mail is getting through to hotmail.com still...

Anyone got any further ideas?

You may want to search the forum, there are a (large) number of threads containing advice on improving your chances of getting your mail through to Hotmail.
    I think the server saw what was required of it and just committed suicide instead.