Commission-Based Sales?

Not sure if this is the right forum, so if there is a better fitting one please inform me and move this post.

I'm wondering if anybody knows what a standard base salary + commission should be expected for a salesperson from a company doing $100+/mo sales. I haven't found any real basis to start off with and am working up a budget to try and account for that. Does it vary widely via the geographical location of the employee, and would I be better off finding somebody locally or reaching out over the employee's wanted forums who I'll never meet?
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.512.792.2525

Yes it would definitely depend on what geographic area you are looking for a salesperson. Someone in the USA would not want to work full-time for $100 to $1000 per month, but maybe someone in India would.

Are you missing some zeros? Even if your base pay was minimum wage (US) that's less than 20 hours a month.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

I would think that if your only making $100/mo, you don't really need a salesperson, I don't know anyone who honestly would work commission based with a company only bringing in $100. You may want to rethink and start getting more sales, then you can worry about hiring a salesperson to handle it when it starts getting to be too much for you.

I'm talking about commission based... Usually you either have full commission with a percentage of every sell + residuals, or a base pay + a smaller percentage... At least, that's what I believe is the case... I would want somebody in the US, for sure.

Also, no, we're not only bringing in $100/mo, our average sell is at least $100/mo. We have some bigger local clients paying up to a couple thousand dollars a month in service contracts, but I don't know that we could commit to such things nationally because the scope for them contains far more than hosting.
    Last edited by hermetek; 03-05-2008 at 01:48 AM.

Commision-based sales is the best solution in my opinion - there should be no need to have them as an employee but as an outsourced partner.

For 100$/sale I would say a commision of 20% one-time and 10% recurring is great - you will gather many sales persons doing the job for you.

You could also launch an affiliate program.
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.