hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Commission-Based Sales?

Forum Jump

Commission-Based Sales?

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Commission-Based Sales?

Not sure if this is the right forum, so if there is a better fitting one please inform me and move this post.

I'm wondering if anybody knows what a standard base salary + commission should be expected for a salesperson from a company doing $100+/mo sales. I haven't found any real basis to start off with and am working up a budget to try and account for that. Does it vary widely via the geographical location of the employee, and would I be better off finding somebody locally or reaching out over the employee's wanted forums who I'll never meet?

██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Web Hosting Master

Yes it would definitely depend on what geographic area you are looking for a salesperson. Someone in the USA would not want to work full-time for $100 to $1000 per month, but maybe someone in India would.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Web Hosting Master

Are you missing some zeros? Even if your base pay was minimum wage (US) that's less than 20 hours a month.

Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Web Hosting Master

I would think that if your only making $100/mo, you don't really need a salesperson, I don't know anyone who honestly would work commission based with a company only bringing in $100. You may want to rethink and start getting more sales, then you can worry about hiring a salesperson to handle it when it starts getting to be too much for you.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Web Hosting Guru

I'm talking about commission based... Usually you either have full commission with a percentage of every sell + residuals, or a base pay + a smaller percentage... At least, that's what I believe is the case... I would want somebody in the US, for sure.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Also, no, we're not only bringing in $100/mo, our average sell is at least $100/mo. We have some bigger local clients paying up to a couple thousand dollars a month in service contracts, but I don't know that we could commit to such things nationally because the scope for them contains far more than hosting.

Last edited by hermetek; 03-05-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Web Hosting Master

Commision-based sales is the best solution in my opinion - there should be no need to have them as an employee but as an outsourced partner.

For 100$/sale I would say a commision of 20% one-time and 10% recurring is great - you will gather many sales persons doing the job for you.

You could also launch an affiliate program.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
European Commission Urges ICANN to Embrace Multi-Stakeholder Approach Web Hosting News 2014-02-12 11:11:53
Magento Hosting Provider ProperHost Increases Affiliate Commission Payouts Web Hosting News 2014-02-03 14:27:29
ProfitBricks Launches IaaS Reseller Partner Program Web Hosting News 2013-02-27 14:55:18
Media Temple Revamps Affiliate Program with Increased Commissions Web Hosting News 2013-02-07 09:00:22
The Host Group Launches Web Hosting Affiliate Partner Program Web Hosting News 2012-11-20 11:31:43