Hybrid View

Hostgator "unlimited" bandwidth

So I see this plan on hostgator for 12.95 that offers unlimited bandwidth. What's the catch? I know hostgator has good reviews and recommendations from many users here, so I know it couldn't be a scam, but even reseller hosting doesn't have such a plan for unlimited bandwidth.

I'm looking for a hosting plan that will probably host a personal blog, and a mirroring system for two programs that I use which basically access a database and pull strings of text from it. In case you want specifics, (note that I am NOT the primary server, only a mirror to help ease server load)

banlist.nl

dotaclient.com

Soulesschild,

Great service that banlist offers -- you should really consider getting something a bit more 'beefier' than a shared hosting system for a backend though. I have no idea how much traffic you push but with the amount of recognition 'banlist' gets you'd easily be able to find a hosting sponsor.

As far as hosting it on HG goes: Mmm, if you really do intend on using that much bandwidth you're probably going to be severely disappointed. It all depends on your cpu usage but there's no such thing as "unlimited". Unmetered, sure. But be wary of anything that touts to be the be-all-end-all to metered services.

Oh, i'm not the backend for sure, I can't handle that kind of traffic. We do have a sponsor but it'd be nice to have a few mirrors to help offload the server load

Their "unlimited bandwidth" offer is just a selling thing really, seeing as you can't use their services for file or image hosting or archiving, and as soon as a normal website hits a high amount of usage you're gonna get shut down for resource hogging.

Watch out for using to much CPU resources.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

Quote Originally Posted by micksss View Post
    Watch out for using to much CPU resources.
    Indeed, the type of traffic you have decides if you'll be able to use "all that bandwidth". If you have static documents, you'll be able to burst much more than if your site is database driven, for example.

In your case, perhaps a low-end dedicated would do the trick. (They don't have to be that expensive, check companies like ovh, netdirekt etc to get an idea of the price-range.)

I think that Hostgator will be able what does that term mean. But I'm surprised little bit with that.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

It is a new thing HG has come up with: "unlimited" bandwidth on their premium "Swamp Plan".

I have rather mixed feelings about that. Sure, I realize they may be able to lure a couple of extra customers by doing this - since most web hosting customers seem very impressed by large numbers. And what could be better than "unlimited"?!

However, to a more jaded person it may be more of a red flag: "so, they are joining the pack of all those other scammy hosts, offering something they clearly cannot deliver!"

The actual quality of their hosting may be unchanged, though, and this is perhaps more of an irritating detail - like you may have an issue with the bold statement "We eat up the competition!"
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Unlimited bandwidth means "unmetered", it means they will not restrict you on the BW, and you can use as much as you like.

But you can not expect too much on the "unmetered", you can expect about 1G BW for every $1 you paid.

Quote Originally Posted by john8 View Post
    you can expect about 1G BW for every $1 you paid.
    What insight into Hostgator's business arrangements gave you this figure?

Quote Originally Posted by john8 View Post
    Unlimited bandwidth means "unmetered", it means they will not restrict you on the BW, and you can use as much as you like.

But you can not expect too much on the "unmetered", you can expect about 1G BW for every $1 you paid.
    Nah man thats not true because I used to push like 60gb bandwidth a month from HG.

you might refer to their TOS fo rmore details then

http://www.hostgator.com/tos.shtml
    Peter Orga-Sales -sales@sexywing.com
    SexyWing - flying adult hosting service
    Profitable adult hosting provider Since 2006
    http://www.sexywing.com

Yes unlimited means ..... NO LIMIT ..... dowinload uploaod as much as you wish ...
    Be on top !

Quote Originally Posted by pushpendra View Post
    Yes unlimited means ..... NO LIMIT ..... dowinload uploaod as much as you wish ...
    Nope, wrong.