Billing Panel Recommendations

I'm looking for a well-built billing system that provides some level of web presence for customers to check their current and past bills, as well as providing at least a very simple shopping cart. The system needs to do proper invoicing with archival, payment processing, and of course be at least nominally compliant with US laws and regulations, such as Sarbanes Oxley and PCI.

What makes this tricky is that it needs to have a full API for me to feed it the monthly invoice totals for some/all products/services, as they will not be 'static', but instead will always vary from month to month, and a completely separate system will actually know what that value is and needs to be able to either report it to this billing system, or be asked for it by this billing system.

I had looked at ModernBill, as it seems to meet the requirements and then some, but it seems to be in a failure cascade judging by posts on their forum and here. Is that not the case? Either way, is there alternative software I could be looking at? I'd rather not build it myself.

I was about to say ModernBill but then I saw the last few lines of your post.

What is your business about?

I was being intentionally vague on that point, not so much because I care personally, but because it is not MY business, so not my place to give away info on.

I'm still digging, and have not yet found a suitable system that has what ModernBill has that I need (for instance I don't need so well fleshed-out a portal or shopping cart, but it seems to be the only one with all the right guts and a fleshed out API), but is not ModernBill.. and my continued research seems to just further confirm that MB is in a downward spiral, which is very unfortunate.

Have you tried WHMCS?
    I am evaluating both WMCS and Modernbill.
    And as I am realizing that I need multicurrency, I guess I will need Modernbill.

Take a look at CE - the upcoming release (in beta) is amazing. Although it doesnt do live currency conversions - you can use one install to sell in different currencies.

Well.. No doubt modernbill has multicurrency feature and its powerful than WHMCS , Go with Modernbill.

I own a modernbill license and use V4.4.1 and have a test V5.2.2 up and running, automated etc.

I also have a clientexec license, the new beta has the majority of the features included that made me choose modernbill over it in the first place.

As for modernbill itself, V5 would definatly cover what you are looking for BUT be warned.

Issues exist with it, mainly it's speed in comparison to other solutions.

Lack of support, even the priority support has been lacking lately. Solutions on the forums, there arn't many, the forum is dead due to a lack of MB feed and help.

Development has been VERY slow, i attribute this to the owners starting up another online product cald DNSZoom. Can't work full time on two projects can you? The way it's being treated lately it's almost like they are just milking MB for what's left in it and leaving it at that.

I don't mean to come across as negative, but had these been issues when i first purchased it i would have gone somewhere else and dealt with the competitors shortcomings.

It's not a cheap product, and if they ever bring V5 up to the functionality of V4 then there's hope for the product, but i can't stress enough, don't buy it based on V5 features until V5 has proven itself.. which it is nowhere near doing.

On a side note, i'm demoing WHMCS specifically for hosting. It's functionality seems to be the closes to MB i've found. And, with the limited time i've been using it, it seems as though you can put a wide variety of products into it and create a module to do any integration you'd like.

Just my 2 cents.

Clientexec development was also very slow until the last months.
    Maybe the appearance of WHMCS and other competitors forced the CE owners to refocus on their product again instead of sleeping on their laurels. Hope the same happens to Modernbill.

Do you know if the next version of Clienexec will have multicurrency?
    I am also testing WHMCS. They have been studying the multicurrency feature for almost a year, but havenīt released any code yet.

MB5 is not cheap if you buy it from Modernbill directly, but you can get it
    from MBLicenses.com and similar companies at prices comparable to WHMCS. FYI you can buy WHMCS licenses cheaper from Licensepals.
    Last edited by albatroz; 03-06-2008 at 08:22 PM.

I would go with WHMCS

Just one point - if anyone's leaving off a suggestion because of cost, please do not. I double-taked when someone said MB wasn't cheap. It is. Its extremely cheap. Its dirt cheap. Its rediculously cheap.

4 cents per customer for a fairly full-featured CRM with billing, invoicing, payment processing, customer portal with ticketing, skinnable/theme-able, and shopping cart? I'd call that cheap. I'd call it so cheap I'd be concerned about its quality (apparently with good reason?). Like looking at a $300 Ferrari.

So please, if anyone's got an open source solution that's free or a $10,000 software they demo'd that was really impressive, don't hesitate to mention either end of the spectrum.

These days the discussion is not on the price, it is rather around
    the features, ease of use and commitment of their dev teams with
    the product and their customers.

NexSeven, correct me if I'm wrong, but based on your post it appears you need something more along the lines of an e-commerce system will built in reporting features.

You may want to also consider a product that can be customized, or developed to your specific needs. I'm not sure you'll find what you need in a billing system geared more towards Web hosting billing and automation.
    BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
    Build your own website powered by BannerOS with our DIY service.

freshbooks.com might be good enough for you, it does bill well, has API. Although there is no shopping cart.
    http://www.hostforasia.com
    █ Hosting Asia Networks with English & Chinese support
    █ Registered in Singapore RCB53117457C

I would recommend WHMCS or to develope your own billing software.