H-Sphere or Separate Windows/Linux

Hello

I am doing early shopping for a reseller account.

My current setup (individual shared accounts):
    - 4 sites hosted on windows 2003. Nothing big, mostly static pages with some form scripts.
    - 3 sites hosted on linux-cPanel. Joomla and Wordpress sites.

I should be redeveloping 2 of those windows-based websites to Joomla sites but it will probably take me a while as I have other projects (linux-based ones) on hand.

I am new to reselling and my sites are usually for small businesses or individuals.

Future plans:
    - Continue developing sites for small businesses/individuals, mainly in Joomla.
    - Start reselling for blogs, galleries.

Key considerations:
    1) Space: Probably 10-15gb
    Will need overselling, but will not abuse the system. No gross overselling for sure.

2) Bandwidth: 100-200gb

3) Domains with separate control panels: 100
    Intend to offer multiple domain plans but not cPanel Addon domains. Those are just messy.

4) Audience: Mostly for Asia Pacific
    Prefer to have a data center in the west coast for faster pings.

5) End-user support
    Till I get the hang of things.. definitely will be more involved as time goes by.

6) Host support
    - Decent people to work with. Able to take a lot of questions from me because I ask a lot. No worries, I do a lot of my own research before asking.
    - Dependable for future growth. Preferably a host who can support vps or dedicated services when I grow.

7) User friendly control panel for my clients
    I have been using cPanel, it works well for me. Would prefer an easy control panel for my clients as well.

8) Features
    Plan should preferably come with billing and support systems so I do not need to purchase separately.

9) Budget: $20-$30 per month.
    Not a lot to start with. But as I mentioned, I'm doing early shopping. Wouldn't mind waiting around for a good promotion to come my way.

So I have been reading up here for a while now. Been very useful. I have also contacted some of the hosts here to find out more about their services.

My quesion:
    Should I look into getting:

a) A reseller account with a H-Sphere provider
    or
    b) Continue to look for 2 seperate accounts, one cpanel and the other for windows?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by iaujus; 03-04-2008 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by iaujus View Post
    4) Audience: Mostly for Asia Pacific
    Prefer to have a data center in the west coast for faster pings.
    You need to do speed test beside ping.
    For example, servers at Layeredtech have faster ping than The Planet but when you do speed test, it's a few times slower.
    You might need to increase your budget for quality host when using 2 separate control panels.
    Normal cost for the space and bandwidth required would be $20+ per reseller account already.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

Thank you for your advice.

Yes I do realised that I will need to increase my budget if I were to choose to hold separate accounts in Windows/Linux.

But as I only have a few small Windows sites, I may choose to keep them where they are now and instead purchase a bigger Linux account. Then my budget of $20-$30 for a reseller account should hopefully suffice for my needs.

If you could further advise me here: Is speed test more important than ping?

My main concern is site loading time when Asia Pacific audience access my sites.

Thanks again.

although I am certainly biased towards a system like hsphere, the truth still is that you would be better served in a clustered environment - and especially if you intend on hosting database intensive applications and such moving forward (ie joomla, wordpress, etc). even if you decide to leave your windows accounts where they are until you get a chance to re-develop those sites, hsphere will allow you to spread your accounts and customers across an entire fleet of servers. The value this offers you is simply huge - as problems can and will come up - and its always better to just have some of your accounts and some of your services affected. On single server systems, if the server you are on goes down, all of your customers and all of your services are down. I guess you could get multiple cpanel reseller accounts, but, not sure how practical that is.

You will love H-Sphere. From one point you can manage windows, linux, freebsd accounts (plus exchange, sharepoint, dedicated etc). Clustured hosting, every service will be (usually) on a dedicated machine. As you grow and your provider grows, your sites will be spread among a number of servers - so if 1 server has a problem only a small client list will be affected and only the specific service (for example mysql on this machine). This means no headaches, less phone calls from 'angry' clients

No need to have separate account logins - from one place you can have billing, provision, support.

I am slowly moving to H-Sphere from Cpanel - I won't probably go back.

And if you search around, it is much easier to find a PREMIUM H-sphere provider than a premium cpanel host.
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

Thank you Andrew and tonyFF for your advice.

I have been using cPanel and H-Sphere is very new to me. I like the idea that it is an all-in-one solution encompassing billing, support, management instead of having to deal with cPanel/WHM and WHMCS. But it can be rather daunting for non-technical clients to log in and be given so many options. Will the UI for clients be a lot more scaled down to show only what they are allowed to control?

Clustered environment hosting certainly sounds a lot more robust than normal single server hosting. Does it mean that I get a choice in spreading my sites around a few servers? I mean the main sites . I understand that databases will be stored in separate database servers and emails in separate email servers. I think some single server hosts will also allow us to spread our sites ups to different servers. But all services and databases will be hosted together on the same servers as the main sites.

I have to say that I am truely impressed by Cartika's offerings. It answers a lot of my concerns especially with regards to application-based sites. Your backup solution is really solid. I have a question about your end-user support add-on service. It is probably more appropriate for me to message you about that.

One main concern of course is that my budget will have to increase and I may have to work with smaller plans for my clients.

Like I said, early days, so I will take this time to read up more and find out what is a better solution for my clients and my future plans.

Once again, thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting View Post
    although I am certainly biased towards a system like hsphere, the truth still is that you would be better served in a clustered environment - and especially if you intend on hosting database intensive applications and such moving forward (ie joomla, wordpress, etc). even if you decide to leave your windows accounts where they are until you get a chance to re-develop those sites, hsphere will allow you to spread your accounts and customers across an entire fleet of servers. The value this offers you is simply huge - as problems can and will come up - and its always better to just have some of your accounts and some of your services affected. On single server systems, if the server you are on goes down, all of your customers and all of your services are down. I guess you could get multiple cpanel reseller accounts, but, not sure how practical that is.
    I totally agree

It is not so difficult for the clients to get used - it is a control panel like others for the end user. Cpanel has the best gui and it is more user-friendly (for me - but maybe that's how my brain works haha).

As far spreading accounts around: I believe this is the way it works, you choose a server among a group (linux group, win group etc). My current provider has only 1 linux and 1 windows server open for new accounts, so I am not sure about this.

And yes, I agree about Cartika - their offering is simply amazing, what I like as a potentional customer is that they are very clear about their offerings (each service on separate server, redundant parts of servers, daily backups etc. etc.).
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by iaujus View Post
    Will the UI for clients be a lot more scaled down to show only what they are allowed to control?
    Hello iaujus,

the reseller control panel is certainly a little more involved with hsphere then some other panels. That is to be expected considering all of the things hsphere does (multiple platforms, integrated billing, integrated helpdesk, integrated registrar services, integrated SSL resale facilities, etc, etc) - however, the end user GUI is really no different then almost any other control panel. H-sphere certainly has more functionality then most end user GUI's, but, end of the day, there is a DB section, an email section, a domain section, etc - and users navigate to those sections and add a domain or db, or email, etc, etc...

you can view some falsh demos of the hsphere end user GUI here:

http://demodemo.com/tutorials_hsphere3.html

Hope this helps...

Thank you Andrew. I have been looking at the admin GUI for H-Sphere and thinking that the end users will be using the same, hence was worried about confusion since it comes with Settins, E-Manager, Reports, etc tabs.

I finally found an enduser H-Sphere GUI to demo with. Does H-Sphere really show enduser clients their billing history? Like past invoices, outstanding amount, etc all within the control panel along with account management?
    Last edited by iaujus; 03-06-2008 at 02:31 AM.

Hello iaujus,

yes, that is correct. End users can view and print their entire billing history. They can update their billing profile (credit card, paypal account whatever), they can upgrade and or downgrade plans, etc...

You should also take a look at how hsphere handles dns zones. Each DNS zone (ie domain, subdomain, etc) is treated as a true top level domain as far as ftp goes and as far as various web options (stats, mime types, redirects, indexing, etc, etc)