Offsite NAS for co-located servers

Hi there,

I've just co-located a few servers and I need to get some offsite NAS, based in the UK so we can start taking regular backups.

Wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations of good but reasonably cheap companies to use for this?

Hmm

Does it have to be based in the UK if it is offsite storage? We're based in Seattle, Washington so probably to far away, but is there any particular reason?

You should check out Amazon S3. You'll need a way to interface with it (like Jungledisk or s3fs), but it's a good option.

Another vote for S3!
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by adam5oh View Post
    Does it have to be based in the UK if it is offsite storage? We're based in Seattle, Washington so probably to far away, but is there any particular reason?
    I need to backup 27Gb per day, would like to run a 6 hourly database backup as well (incremental). Bandwidth between the UK and US is never very good tbh, we moved from Softlayer dedicated machines, to copy things with a single stream we were capped around 4Mbit, however I used a download manager and managed to get up to about 3.5Mbyte/sec using 10-15 separate streams.. Not sure why it's like this but it would be the same if I was downloading something from my PC from a US server. I'm also looking for some good backup software that isn't too expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Philio View Post
    Hi there,

I've just co-located a few servers and I need to get some offsite NAS, based in the UK so we can start taking regular backups.

Wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations of good but reasonably cheap companies to use for this?
    I think your most cost effective solution would be to co-locate another server offsite with a RAID array and do it yourself.

I havn't seen company offered backup prices on par with somewhere like, say bqbackup in the US, here in the UK.

Even datacentre provided storage (On their internal LAN / WAN) is usually priced at £1 per gig.

A truly remote solution (from a different provider) you'd need a lot of traffic for the numbers you're using on top of the storage costs.

If you do find a solution please post as I'd be interested in this. I currently backup to the USA, but as you've mentioned this only scales so far. The best option I can find in the UK is just to co-lo or rent a dedicated with a different company and stuff the machine full of disks.

I have often thought about starting a uk style bqbackup, my fag packet maths says it would work but thats a long way from reality

kev

Quote Originally Posted by eztiger View Post
    I have often thought about starting a uk style bqbackup
    Better hurry up before we get there first!
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***