View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Private Labeling Branding

23 65.71%
  • Authorized Reseller Branding

12 34.29%

Dedicated Server Resellers - Private vs Authorized Reseller Branding

Dedicated Server Resellers - Do you prefer to apply private labeling when marketing your services or do you let your customers know you are a reseller of "xyz" products and services?
    Shawn Bray
    Pinellas Hosting - www.pinellashosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Collocation | Webhosting | Data Backup | Domain Registration

What a great poll , cant wait to see the results.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Well... I certainly thought I would get more replies than 1. The poll is not public. It's anonymous. Your names will not appear in the poll results. Maybe I need to find another way to structure the question and the poll.

Any ideas?
    Shawn Bray
    Pinellas Hosting - www.pinellashosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Collocation | Webhosting | Data Backup | Domain Registration

possibly the topic is not of much interest to the community.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

I would imagine most companies would try to hide that they are reselling. Or disguise it as some sort of exclusive agreement with the parent company.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Shawn,

I think it depends greatly on one factor: the discount you offer resellers.

If the discount is enough to mark up the product so that it is still the same or below the cost on your web site, then authorized would be preferred in my opinion. If the discount is not enough to make a fair profit when selling the server at the same price, then I would definitely say private.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Shawn,

I think it depends greatly on one factor: the discount you offer resellers.

If the discount is enough to mark up the product so that it is still the same or below the cost on your web site, then authorized would be preferred in my opinion. If the discount is not enough to make a fair profit when selling the server at the same price, then I would definitely say private.
    Just out of curiosity what sort of discounts are you seeing out there from other companies?
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

We have had reselling servers for some companies, and we did not try to hide the companies which we resell for, as the customer will soon find it out.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

I don't think resellers would be interested for their clients to go direct, unless its a VAR.

I believe that unless the reseller is offer great discount sand the prices of the reseller are lower than that of the original company + they handle the support well, they will go for private labeling.
    Looking for a Partner

Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    Just out of curiosity what sort of discounts are you seeing out there from other companies?
    It really depends, most companies don't offer a discount off the bat, but I feel after having ~5 servers, you should be able to get atleast a 15% discount, so you can make a fair profit.

I voted for Authorized reseller branding. My hope is that the reseller process actually has teeth where the company must be registered in their geographical area.

Private label is fine but not telling your customers that you are a reseller is just being dishonest. There really is no business need to do so in my opinion as your services can and should be different from your upstream otherwise why the heck use you?

I don't know any resellers that are "hiding" it that survive long term. They may be out there but I don't know of them. In terms of discounts, if you are not seeing 20% you cannot win without value added services. If a company offers 5% discount they are not factoring or truly don't expect you to offer any value.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    I voted for Authorized reseller branding. My hope is that the reseller process actually has teeth where the company must be registered in their geographical area.

Private label is fine but not telling your customers that you are a reseller is just being dishonest. There really is no business need to do so in my opinion as your services can and should be different from your upstream otherwise why the heck use you?

I don't know any resellers that are "hiding" it that survive long term. They may be out there but I don't know of them. In terms of discounts, if you are not seeing 20% you cannot win without value added services. If a company offers 5% discount they are not factoring or truly don't expect you to offer any value.
    I agree.. Just be upfront so there will not be any confusion later.

I go for private

If I ran a reseller, I would probably keep that private...but be upfront and honest about it, if asked directly.