Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KVM Over IP

KVM Over IP

I'm looking at getting some KVM over Ip devices but am not sure what the best or differences between them are. I'm looking for some suggestions on brands and features.
    Joe Morgan @ Joe’s Datacenter, LLC- www.joesdatacenter.com
    Affordable & Reliable Dedicated Servers | VPS | Colocation in the Midwest

dell's kvm gear works very well.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

The Avocent switchview 1020 is a nice unit, if you thinking about using it for multiple systems, you might think about a 1 port unit connected to a traditional KVM unit, where you can hot key to several different servers.
    Jay Kramer - Operations Manager
    Affordable Colocation and Dedicated Servers
    www.colostore.com 1-877-719-3698

I like Dell KVMs too, they work nicely and you can pick them up on eBay

We've been impressed with our Dell 2161DS's (got a few units, and you can get extenders which changes one port to eight ports).

I liked the Lantronix Spider, but the number of Dell responses this has gotten so quickly leave me wondering if I shouldn't check one out.

Quote Originally Posted by MOCCP View Post
    I'm looking at getting some KVM over Ip devices but am not sure what the best or differences between them are. I'm looking for some suggestions on brands and features.
    I've been using the Avocent IP 1020 hooked into a standard cheap Dell KVM switch.

It works well in my experience and it's very cheap. I think it's locked up on me once in the 9+ months I've had it.

I've also had a pretty positive experience with the Minicom IP KVM 16-port units, though it has occasionally required a cold power reset. If I had my choice I would get it or a similar unit that has CAT5-based remote KVM ports, which makes cabling much easier.

The Startech single-port KVM over IP unit I've used is by far the worst unit I've ever used. Constant cold power resets are required, rendering it basically worthless in a production environment.

We have kvm capability on most of our servers but not once have we needed to use it yet. Unless you have a really good reason it's an expense most people don't need.

We have kvm capability on most of our servers but not once have we needed to use it yet. Unless you have a really good reason it's an expense most people don't need.
    We use our 2161DS all the time. Definitely comes in handy when you don't live next door to your datacenter

Thank you guys for all the responses. I at least know where to look. Feature wise do you guys think they are all similiar? I guess a KVM over Ip is a KVM over Ip.

I can imagine it in a time of need but with the past 5 months we have had it with 60+ servers - haven't needed it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    I can imagine it in a time of need but with the past 5 months we have had it with 60+ servers - haven't needed it once.
    In comparison would upgrading to remote reboot be better than upgrading to remote KVM if you had neither right now?

In comparison would upgrading to remote reboot be better than upgrading to remote KVM if you had neither right now?
    I'd rather have remote reboot than kvm if I could have one or the other. KVM can not power cycle servers on kernel dumps.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    I'd rather have remote reboot than kvm if I could have one or the other. KVM can not power cycle servers on kernel dumps.
    Thats what I needed to know thanks!

we use our KVMs a lot more than we use remote reboots.

Often servers can be recovered using KVM, we can reinstall them using PXE, we can debug problems, fix firewall problems, fix lost passwords, sort fsck errors. Touchwood we've not had to reboot a server this year (we have over 5 racks so it's not through lack of kit...) but we use the KVMs almost daily

This might make a good poll. If you had to choose which would you prefer remote reboot or kvm over ip?

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    I suppose "really good reason" needs defining. In corporate environments it's rare that KVM or a server-based KVM like DRAC or iLO (or the newer KVMoIP daughter cards available for Tyan and Supermicro) would not be a requirement however I think dedicated server providers could make an argument that there is not a compelling reason to use KVM. Many are content with offering a rolling cart with a KVMoIP on a per-use basis rather than rolling out that costly infrastructure to all servers.

If the dedicated provider has decent quality servers, server-based KVMs probably make the most sense in terms of per-port cost and ease of management. If you have racks of commodity hardware on baker's rack than either no KVM setup or Avocent, Raritan, Dell/Avocent, or Minicom IP KVM hardware make more sense on the per-port cost.

I recently went with Rariton as the KVMoIP of choice for our company rack.

If Dell still had their older re-branded model w/t unlimited user licensing I would have gone with that.

Oh and DRAC's, I swore off those POS over 3 years ago, worthless. Remote access being one of the key things you need to rely on in this business and you end up rolling the dice every time you try to connect to your Dell servers Drac port each time.

I'm not a big fan of the Supermicro versions either.

Can someone recommend a good KVM over IP switch that allows daisy chaining? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sshepherd View Post
    Oh and DRAC's, I swore off those POS over 3 years ago, worthless.
    Well, you could just as easily have said the same thing about the old Compaq RiLO and RIB cards. The remote access capability back then was simply atrocious and utterly worthless and that really wasn't that long ago - 4-5 years ago.

These days, HP's iLO capabilities are the best in the business on Proliant hardware. If you wrote off the current iLO and iLO2s capabilities solely on the past poor performance of their old integrated or board-based server KVM, you'd really be missing out.

I've tried the DRACs in the 2950s and, while they are not as good as the iLO and iLO2s, they are not that bad. They are basically integrated Avocent KVMs. Yes they need some improvements but they are far from being deemed worthless.

I can understand feeling burnt by KVM units - I personally will never purchase Belkin KVMs just because the old Omniview Pro KVMs were so awful and I wasted so many hours messing around with them yet those units now are over 5 years old. For all I know the Belkin KVMs could be great now but I won't bother because of that negative experience.

Quote Originally Posted by eightysix View Post
    Can someone recommend a good KVM over IP switch that allows daisy chaining? Thanks.
    Someone posted a link to this unit in another thread:

http://www.lantronix.com/data-center...nx-spider.html

Haven't used it, nor have heard anything about it. But it can be daisy chained and uses USB for its power.

Dont get the Spider, im my opinion its rubbish. It has issues getting into the BIOS
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by serverminds View Post
    Well, you could just as easily have said the same thing about the old Compaq RiLO and RIB cards. The remote access capability back then was simply atrocious and utterly worthless and that really wasn't that long ago - 4-5 years ago.

These days, HP's iLO capabilities are the best in the business on Proliant hardware. If you wrote off the current iLO and iLO2s capabilities solely on the past poor performance of their old integrated or board-based server KVM, you'd really be missing out.

I've tried the DRACs in the 2950s and, while they are not as good as the iLO and iLO2s, they are not that bad. They are basically integrated Avocent KVMs. Yes they need some improvements but they are far from being deemed worthless.

I can understand feeling burnt by KVM units - I personally will never purchase Belkin KVMs just because the old Omniview Pro KVMs were so awful and I wasted so many hours messing around with them yet those units now are over 5 years old. For all I know the Belkin KVMs could be great now but I won't bother because of that negative experience.
    I've used DRAC's all the way up to DRAC4, and very much doubt DRAC5 managed to improve over all the previous models. They simply weren't reliable. Most common problem was the card locking up and not even accepting requests on 2 out of 10 servers, often requiring you shut down the server and pull the power cord to reset the drac. The Web/Java UI erroring out and not responding, or the Web UI only able to run on older versions of Java. None of the flash updates ever fixed them either. Just too much of a hassle and pain compared to going with a dedicated setup like Avocent/Rariton IMO.

Heh, I have a Omniview Belkin KVM that's been sitting on my shelf too for a good 5+ years. If I wasn't such a pack rat, I would have thrown it away by now.

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    Dont get the Spider, im my opinion its rubbish. It has issues getting into the BIOS
    If you have the PS2 version, make sure in the "Keyboards & Mouse" settings that your using PS2, and not Auto or USB.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

This might make a good poll. If you had to choose which would you prefer remote reboot or kvm over ip?
    You might as well ask, "If you had to choose which would you prefer hands or legs" lol.

Each has its own unique purpose, a hand is used to eat, write, and punch and legs are used to walk, run and kick.

Similarly, a remote reboot is used when your server is frozen or stuck, something which even the KVM cant be used to get out of. When you recompile a kernel and forgot to add a driver/module and restart the server, even if you have a remote reboot, its not going to help you get out of that situation. You need a KVM for that.

As your budget premits, choose both, either or neither.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast