Question HSphere (windows) -- how to point/redirect "domain.com" to "www.domain.com"?

We have a customer that wants to point "domain.com" to "www.domain.com".

Our admins are telling us that this is not possible with Windows HSphere because of conflicts between IIS and the HSPhere software.

Can anyone point me to more information about this, or suggest another method?

We are currently creating a subdomain called "www", and then manually moving the website files to the subdomain.. but this is a cludgy workaround and surely there must be a better way.

Isn't it a common request to point "domain.com" to "www.domain.com"? (It's a simple mod_rewrite rule for apache.... sigh.)

Thanks.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

HSphere sets that up by default - it's a misconfiguration or some other non-standard issue if admins say they can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by marksy View Post
    HSphere sets that up by default - it's a misconfiguration or some other non-standard issue if admins say they can't do it.
    By default, the server configured the account to pull up the same website both with and without the "www".

So "www.domain.com" and "domain.com" both pointed to the same website.

What the customer wants is so that when someone goes to "domain.com", it actually redirects to "www.domain.com" and changes the URL in the browser.

(ie: So not just display the same website... not just a simple CNAME dns entry.)

Are you saying that is how HSPhere is supposed to set things up by default? (If so, I have not seen any reference that default in the documentation provided by HSphere, nor do I see any redirects or other settings anywhere to facilitate it.)
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

sorry, I misunderstood. No that isn't set by default, but you can do it in global.asa

If LCase(Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME")) = "<domain>" Then

Response.Status = "301 Moved Permanently"
    Response.AddHeader "Location", "http://www.<domain>" & Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")
    Response.End

End If