UK man arrested for website links.

A UK man has been arrested for a website having links to pirated films etc:-

Guardian

Outlaw.com

Its enough to make providers even more jumpy about copyright..Will be interesting to see how this one plays out as it could be a test case of UK law
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

This is the authorities trying to scare people as usual... He was arrested and then walked away the next day if I remember correctly.

In Australia its illegal to allow piracy so linking to copyright material is an offence already over here.

Im not sure about torrent files since they are legal but contain instruction on how to obtain pirated content (in most cases)
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

They're going after people in the states as well for linking to illegal content. (Unless you're large like google)
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

This story is quite a few months old but still quite interesting. Does anyone know what is going on with the trial?
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

How come they can arrest a person for having the links alone. Its un justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    They're going after people in the states as well for linking to illegal content. (Unless you're large like google)
    That is the question I always ask, how can google link to everything illegal and not get in trouble?
    - WireSix - Dedicated Servers, Custom Configurations, Colocation - Celebrating 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix-Matt View Post
    That is the question I always ask, how can google link to everything illegal and not get in trouble?
    deep pockets, they'll have no problem paying for lawyers and have the cash to pay off the copyright owner as they've done in the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakie View Post
    This story is quite a few months old but still quite interesting. Does anyone know what is going on with the trial?
    He wasn't ever charged. The police have obviously arrested him to make news headlines, if they took him to court over it a lawyer would rip them apart for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biju View Post
    How come they can arrest a person for having the links alone. Its un justice.
    mate...you can get arrested in the UK for almost anything these days..but most likely nothing will come of this.

it's a sad day for justice when paedophiles and other criminals can escape jail terms or get ludicrous jail terms....but this guy with warez links to TV shows which were probably crap viewing anyway....can get taken to court.

most likely the films or tv shows were criminal anyway and were a waste of tv license money.

owm
    ‹(•ż•
    Life's what you make it.

Yes, property has become more important than people.
    - WireSix - Dedicated Servers, Custom Configurations, Colocation - Celebrating 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    mate...you can get arrested in the UK for almost anything these days..but most likely nothing will come of this.

it's a sad day for justice when paedophiles and other criminals can escape jail terms or get ludicrous jail terms....but this guy with warez links to TV shows which were probably crap viewing anyway....can get taken to court.

most likely the films or tv shows were criminal anyway and were a waste of tv license money.

owm
    The Govt is ridiculous these days. Google can be free even if they index all the warez links of any products, but an ordinary person can't link it. In India the law is very clear that anyone can link to warez products or sites until they are on safer side not hosting it. That makes sense.

Well mate be careful on your products [ Marijuna lol ]

Quote Originally Posted by TVLm View Post
    deep pockets, they'll have no problem paying for lawyers and have the cash to pay off the copyright owner as they've done in the past!
    That's not the case here. Google isn't being charged because their system is automated, they aren't deliberately posting specific links to piracy websites.

Anti-piracy organizations are going after websites which deliberately and specifically link to copyrighted material.

I'm also quite sure that Google would have no problem blacklisting specific sites if it's obvious that they are piracy sites, although that's irrelevant in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    That's not the case here. Google isn't being charged because their system is automated, they aren't deliberately posting specific links to piracy websites.h ah

Anti-piracy organizations are going after websites which deliberately and specifically link to copyrighted material.

I'm also quite sure that Google would have no problem blacklisting specific sites if it's obvious that they are piracy sites, although that's irrelevant in this case.
    My website is similar to Google search engine. It scrapes anything related to "prison" on my site, which is about prison. Hint: Prison break.

You have to understand that automated systems can also be regulated, as we already know, many websites out there that link to videos are automated.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    That's not the case here. Google isn't being charged because their system is automated, they aren't deliberately posting specific links to piracy websites.

If its automated then what. Those little bots and programs are written by human right.

Isn't this old? OUT-LAW News, 22/10/2007

Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post
    He wasn't ever charged. The police have obviously arrested him to make news headlines, if they took him to court over it a lawyer would rip them apart for it.
    [edit]

scrub that company with similar trading name (Bedroom Media) but not the same one.
    Last edited by AL-Benjamin; 03-03-2008 at 05:18 PM.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft