1and1 - I take it back, they stink

As a rebuttle of my previous post that 1&1 is good, I take it back.

- control panel was down most of the day
    - Tech support are complete idiots

First they tell me my index page doesn't work because it has a capital I ie Index.html

Second, I tried to set up a MySQL DB today. I contacted tech support because I didn't even have the option to create one. They send me back information on how to connect to the MySQL DB. Um.. I need to create one first. <sigh>

PHP and CGI doesn't work. My lord. This sucks.

First they tell me my index page doesn't work because it has a capital I ie Index.html

--

Damn that just made my day there, on a serious note, if you have been less than a month get your money back (if they offer any) and move A.S.A.P!
    Freelancer
    Site Coming Soon | Route Cafe Blog

Their 8 page long ads in magazines (I might be exaggerating but probably not) looked so professional and showed off all their virtues that I almost went with them back then.

Thanks for the notice.

search the forum here, youll find TONS of negative items about them. ive had my fair share of run ins with them. my advice:

get on the nearest super sonic plane, and get the heck away from them as fast as possible.
    This account is no longer used.

Seems odd I know with hsphere you can define your index file. Odd indeed :|

Quote Originally Posted by spotgraphix View Post
    I tried to set up a MySQL DB today. I contacted tech support because I didn't even have the option to create one. They send me back information on how to connect to the MySQL DB. Um.. I need to create one first. <sigh>
    So, you're control panel is completely different from mine and doesn't have this?

http://www.isarapix.com/pix0/1204517991.gif

I'd like more details on this issue. Can you post exact quotes of the conversation?

Seems odd I know with hsphere you can define your index file. Odd indeed :|
    That's not Hsphere confined though, since it's a web server capability.

I have three domains registered with 1and1...should I worry?

I took advantage of their domain sale, with free private registration (though I thought the sale was expiring due to the constant countdown on their site...3 days left, 2 days left.), but don't have any hosting with them...just the basic space that comes with registration. I figured for less than 7 bucks, it was worth a shot to register a few.

I did have some trouble logging in today, but the error message said it was due to updates or something. 30 minutes later, I was able to log in.

I didn't worry much at the time, but now that this has come up, it makes me wonder if an interuption during the first few days of being with them is an omen.
    Last edited by Sampdoria; 03-03-2008 at 08:01 AM.

I've seen quite a few bad 1&1 reviews recently - it seems to be a trend. I too would like to see some excerpts from the conversation with 1&1 about the "I"ndex page if you have them.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I've seen quite a few bad 1&1 reviews recently - it seems to be a trend.
    The trend, and not just with 1 and 1, seems to be clueless people trying to build websites and then, when they screw things up, they come here and bash the host company.

spotgraphix apparently doesn't know that Linux is case sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sampdoria View Post
    I have three domains registered with 1and1...should I worry?
    Over my time with them I've had hundreds of domains and have bought / canceled / transfered in / out many, many times with no troubles. If you can spend the time to read the FAQs and understand their system you should have nothing to "worry" about... just enjoy your dirt cheap domains.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaD View Post
    The trend, and not just with 1 and 1, seems to be clueless people trying to build websites and then, when they screw things up, they come here and bash the host company.
    Agreed, and also the numbers... as the largest web host in the world, the law of averages states that they would have a seemingly disproportionate number of complaints if for little else but the fact that they have the most customers. If they were as terrible as people come here and make them out to be then how do they keep such a massive customer base? They are obviously working well for many, many folks.

spotgraphix apparently doesn't know that Linux is case sensitive.
    Nor did he take the time to find the button that clearly says "MySQL Administration"... sorta like the one that was complaining the other day that they couldn't figure out how to change DNS settings, despite the button that says "DNS".

Hmmm... I really haven't tried using a capital "I" to name the Index file - My guess is: it wouldn't work on a Unix server?

That said, I have seen many negatives about this host, even from people who haven't capitalized their Index file...
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

If you use DirectoryIndex Index.html in the .htaccess file it might work but, never tried.

I've no experience of 1and1 (and in all honesty wouldn't really want to) but, the OP problems with them is (not purposely) lack of understanding of the basics of web hosting possibly due to being a newbie
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

Their control panel drives me mad! Ugh.