Will shared hosting be faster that running a server on my own laptop?

My site only consists of about 100 kilobytes in static files (css, html, js) and about 100 kilobytes of images.

My network speeds are: 8486 kb/s download, 7792 kb/s upload based on speedtest.net
    core duo processor, 1.83 ghz
    1.5 gigs of RAM
    wamp server on vista, does vista really require that many resources? using non-aero interface, not running anything else most of the time, other than web browsing
    No server side scripting will be used.
    Slow hard drive, but that won't matter because files will remain in memory i think, right?

Will running my site on this server be faster than any under-$20 a month shared host? If not, can someone recommend me a nice REALLY FAST shared host to simply deploy my website. I was getting a request every second for a while on the above server and noticed slow loading speeds, which is unfortunate.

Oh and is there anything I can do with apache to optimize it for my static-only site? I've heard about mod_deflate... is it worthwhile to mod_deflate, given it requires some server side processing and my computer is pretty slow?

Thank you for the help!

I would not recommend hosting on your own personal computer if your looking for your site to be online 24/7.

Well I'm on a university line and have been on line since I came back from winter break in late january

If your keeping a laptop on 24/7 then you can say goodbye to it as it won't be around much longer.

I think there would be hundreds of shared hosts in your budget that would vastly outperform it as well.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

I would stick with shared hosting...

Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    If your keeping a laptop on 24/7 then you can say goodbye to it as it won't be around much longer.
    Really? I leave my laptops on 24x7, and they last years.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I would say that you should stick with shared for more reliablity, more secure most likely and capable of dealing with an attack easier. Plus with files that size you wouldn't really notice much of a difference in speed but shared is normally faster especially if you have multiple clients at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by inktri View Post
    Will running my site on this server be faster than any under-$20 a month shared host? If not, can someone recommend me a nice REALLY FAST shared host to simply deploy my website.
    Almost any shared hosting server will be much more powerful than yours and on a much faster, more reliable connection. The only advantage your system has is that it's not shared with other users, but provided you choose a host that manages their server well you should rarely be slowed down by other clients activities.

Medialayer
    offers REALLY FAST shared hosting using high-end servers and Litespeed.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Personally if your sites that small and your network connection seems decent I would just save the money and buy a new laptop with the money you save. Medialayer is great if you do decide to buy shared hosting though.

Any Datacenter would give you better connections as that, your university probably has one upstream provider, if that one got problems you are simply offline, within a DC your trafic would be rerouted over different backbone providers.

Hardware will have a longer lifespan as the DC's are air-conditioned and environment controlled.

Is it bad to host at home, no not at all, you have decent speeds, if its an old laptop you don't need to use, why not. If it is mission critical, you better move it to a good datacenter.

My question is, why have a laptop if all you're going to do is have it sitting in one place 24/7 to act as a web server? Also, what are you going to do during the summer or breaks, etc. Just leave it there and hope nothing happens to it?

Also, if you plan on using the laptop for anything else, it is the same thing, you'd be sharing the resources of that system.

To me, it all sounds like a waste of a laptop... I use laptops because they're portable, I could take it to class, take it to a coffee shop, take it home when I go home, take it to a meeting, etc. To keep it online, you're going to need to keep it in one place 24/7...

If you want to host it yourself, get an old P3 or P4 based system, put Linux on it and put it under your desk. That is what I did for a development/game server when I was in college.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Also, what are you going to do during the summer or breaks, etc. Just leave it there and hope nothing happens to it?

good point..

Seriously though...for the sake of say $3 a month or so, it would be advisable to conserve what's left of the laptop and get space on a shared server because your efforts to penny pinch will end up costing you more to replace the laptop.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.