Question Recommend Host, low bandwidth, high disk use

I have a website I use to host personal pictures to share with my friends and family. It has very low traffic, typically under a GB a month (and usually more like a couple hundred megs). However, I have a lot of pictures, so I need a decent amount of disk space. Right now I'm using about 7 GB, but I'd like to have at least 15 so I've got room to grow. The other problem is that the software I use, Menalto Gallery, creates a lot of files. That's the main reason I'm planning to leave my current host, HostICan, since they have a 50,000 file limit. (Oh, and I've been with HostICan for 6 months.) In addition, I've been getting resource overuse shutdowns from them when images are being resized.

Previous to HostICan I was with Cirtex Hosting (~10 months), and they had horrible reliability. So I'm looking for something reliable and reasonably cheap. The only other requirements are that it support SSH and lets me change the PHP upload limit, so I can upload large pictures. I've lost some money due to having to switch hosts before my 1 year contract was up twice now, so I'm hoping to find a host that will last.

I was looking at Geek Storage, since it's cheap and has all the space I need. However, I'm worried that due to the amount of overselling they appear to be doing it'll just be another case of me looking for a new host in 6 months. The other is DownTownHost. They're more expensive, since I'd be paying $15 a month for a 15 GB disk space plan, but I suppose you get what you pay for. $15 a month on a one year contract is about the max I'm willing to pay.

Thanks for any suggestions guys.

What kind of resources does Menalto Gallery require?

Hi

I'd recommend reviewing the hosts here on WebHostingtalk as there are many reputable hosts, then feel free to do some research on them and use the search function to look for reviews.

Good luck
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

If its resources are high, you might be better with a VPS.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

If you're interested in Geek storage, why now have a chat with them and ask them what their inode / file limit is.
    CPU usage at any host shouldn't be a problem for you since the main need is storage and the gallery shouldn't use that much cpu time.
    -Mr Bister

A quality host will not limit you on diskspace as they simply will not oversell, i believe if a host offer 10GB they should deliver it. Period.

You will find many hosts which can help you with this, and an equal amount of them will make a mess of it, just look for the smaller and more personal hosting companies rather as the large corporations which only see you as a yet another customer.

Try to offer section or the 'search a host' button on top of WHT and then do your research on the top list you made.

Good luck with finding a good host for your family pictures!
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Ok, thanks for the feedback guys. I did research here at WHT before signing up for my previous two hosts, and I did a bunch of searches before posting this. I just wanted to see if anyone had any specific suggestions for my circumstances. I'll send some emails to the two hosts I mentioned to make sure they don't have any limitations on the stuff I mentioned. I do find it humorous that someone from Cirtex replied though, considering I had mentioned that I thought their hosting was crap based on my previous experience. I won't be going back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by GalleryFan View Post
    Ok, thanks for the feedback guys. I did research here at WHT before signing up for my previous two hosts, and I did a bunch of searches before posting this. I just wanted to see if anyone had any specific suggestions for my circumstances. I'll send some emails to the two hosts I mentioned to make sure they don't have any limitations on the stuff I mentioned. I do find it humorous that someone from Cirtex replied though, considering I had mentioned that I thought their hosting was crap based on my previous experience. I won't be going back to them.
    You are most welcome, good luck with finding the host which fits best with you.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)