Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the legal age to SELL webhosting?

I was just wondering if there is an actual legal age to sell web hosting?

I remember reading a AUP saying that if the kid is a minor they should ask their parent permission, so a legal age would be 18 (or the country's one)

I think when it comes to that.. it's really irrevelant since a lot of customers might be minors who just put false data (and I also don't recall hosting services asking for age)

Ok cool thanks.

I would say there is no age requirement. So long as you can provide the service the customer pays for, there should not be a problem.

Exclamation Strong recommendation...

I do not recommend doing web hosting if you are under the age of 18. It could effect your future if a very bad way.

I did web hosting when I was sixteen years old, did some design work to get some money to start it up. I quickly got some clients, and everything seemed to be going fine. Then problems come out of no where... soon you have 25+ angry people yelling at you for something you really don't know how to fix. It can get very nuts.

To make a company successful you need a very good business plan, web hosting is a big market!!! Large company's are able to tear the small company's done very easily.

Web Hosting company's need an attractive website, a good support suite, a lot of "free stuff" (my opinion, so don't hate me) to offer the client...

All I can say is you need to think about this before you do this... it takes a lot of money to run a stable web hosting company... so I hope you have a nice size allowance or a good after school job.
    PHP5 / MySQL / CUSTOM TEMPLATING / CLEAN & MAINTAINABLE CODING
    WEB DEVELOPMENT via CUSTOM DESIGN / PROGRAMMING

Cool guys, thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by GetFreelanced View Post
    I do not recommend doing web hosting if you are under the age of 18. It could effect your future if a very bad way.

I did web hosting when I was sixteen years old, did some design work to get some money to start it up. I quickly got some clients, and everything seemed to be going fine. Then problems come out of no where... soon you have 25+ angry people yelling at you for something you really don't know how to fix. It can get very nuts.

To make a company successful you need a very good business plan, web hosting is a big market!!! Large company's are able to tear the small company's done very easily.

Web Hosting company's need an attractive website, a good support suite, a lot of "free stuff" (my opinion, so don't hate me) to offer the client...

All I can say is you need to think about this before you do this... it takes a lot of money to run a stable web hosting company... so I hope you have a nice size allowance or a good after school job.
    If you have the backing of people who can help you with server issues and the money to purchase the required software and hardware, starting a business when your 16 or 17 is not too bad. But what I really don't like is when you see people trying to start hosting companies and wanting FREE Billing Programs and FREE Support Systems etc. You don't get something for nothing these days. You have to put some money in, to get some money out.

You have to be over 18 to form a legal business entity. Your parents are allowed to on your behalf but this varies by state so I suggest consult with a lawyer and see which rule applies for you.

Every company should be registered. Owners will likely take their business more seriously and we can avoid seeing new companies start up and crash within a week.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

I have been doing computer related business since I was in High School and if I could offer any advice it would be stick to what your good at and just let people know upfront know your boundaries. If you don’t know much about a area that one of your customers needs research it learn it but don’t try and sell that service until you have had time to learn it better. The last thing you want is someone mad at your because you set something up for them that does not work or you cant figure out how to fix after you have sold it to them. Remember you will learn as you go and your business will grow with your knowledge level don’t try and rush it or let others sell you into something. This is just my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JOEsDC; 03-01-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by EvaHost View Post
    I would say there is no age requirement. So long as you can provide the service the customer pays for, there should not be a problem.
    You can't be a minor and do business without using a legal guardian (a parent in most cases) as the juridicial person for the company.

Why? It is simple; You need to have a juridicial person to run a company.

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan View Post
    You have to be over 18 to form a legal business entity. Your parents are allowed to on your behalf but this varies by state so I suggest consult with a lawyer and see which rule applies for you.

Every company should be registered. Owners will likely take their business more seriously and we can avoid seeing new companies start up and crash within a week.
    There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan View Post

Thats a bunch of bull. I'm 15 and I applied for an LLC with the Secretary of State, they gave it to me. I even talked with them and they said that was fine. DOL said it as well as I had to register with them as well.
    Crissic Solutions, LLC - Affordable VPS Solutions.
    Our business is based on Honesty & Transparency!

Quote Originally Posted by CrissicSolutions View Post
    Thats a bunch of bull. I'm 15 and I applied for an LLC with the Secretary of State, they gave it to me. I even talked with them and they said that was fine. DOL said it as well as I had to register with them as well.
    OK, congrats
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Quote Originally Posted by CrissicSolutions View Post
    That of course depends on the country you're in too Where I am, you need to be 18 to start a business, unless you have a legal guardian to co-sign the whole shabang.

As long as your local government lets you form a legal business entity you should be fine. Generally any legal agreements your customers agree to would be between the legal business entity and the customer, and not the owner of the business and the customer. At least that's how I understand it to work.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Depends upon the country and its laws.

I think this will be better discussed in Running a Web Hosting Forum. Moved.

If you are entering into any sort of a contract with your clients, then you will need to be at least 18 years old.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

You should be at least 18 years old. Keep in mind you should expect to be at a loss for at least the first several months. You'll need to be able to pay expenses for your billing system, website design, domain names, and hosting bills, and possibly marketing costs. Time is also a huge factor. It may not be something you will want to commit to at a younger age.

A lot of these posts assume you want to do things legally and be able to enter into the contracts you're creating. Technically you don't need any of that to sell hosting and you can do it at any age.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

I know I wouldn't do business with someone under the age of 17 or18 in the U.S. due to the fact that they are minors and can't be held liable if they sign a contract until they are 18 based on most states maybe nationally. I am not a teenager and I don't even feel totally comfortable starting one up do to obligations and technicalities that might arise. I have some domains purchased but I just use them for personal use currently. You have to make sure that you are ready in case someone decides to threaten a lawsuit even. I had a threat sent to me when my old reseller host somehow messed up the dns settings even though I was not operating comercially. Plus where I am I would have to work with sales taxes for my state and all that mess.

My advice wait just to become more informed about starting a business since it brings on a set of new responsibilities. You can start at any age but you can dig yourself into a huge hole if stuff isn't done properly.
    Last edited by rcpersons1; 03-02-2008 at 02:49 AM.

I do not think so. I have seen many guys, they are around 15 only & selling hosting since 1 - 2 years. All I think is necessary to have knowledge about server.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mdshah View Post
    I do not think so. I have seen many guys, they are around 15 only & selling hosting since 1 - 2 years. All I think is necessary to have knowledge about server.
    Thats probably because your under age also ?

You cannot legally enter into a contract under 18, so therefor you cannot be bound by the terms and the customer is paying for a service he has no guarantee he will get and no comeback if he doesn't get it.

I admire people who enter into business at a young age, but there is a right and wrong way to do it.

If your under 18 try and get a parent who will form a company with you for example and then can guide and help you.

It is wrong to sell hosting under 18 in my book as the buyers do not have any protection and secondly in most cases people under 18 are not mature enough to run a business and I think we have all seen examples of that here on wht and in many places.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Or if could affect it in a good way. I got started when I was 16 (back in the stone age!), and I feel that it gave me a head start in the business world. It really depends on the person's personality. If you're going to do it at the expense of hanging out with your friends, then it may not be such a good idea. In my case, I was going to be sitting around in front of my computer anyway, so it just gave me something more important to do, and I still did other fun things on the weekend nights anyway.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I'm 16, I've been selling since 14 and the experience so far is great. Maybe at the start, didn't go to well but learn from the mistakes and move on. (E.g. PayPal account limitation, unable to fax documents so I use 2checkout now.)

It's a great head start, in learning and experiencing. And no, not all under 18's are not mature enough, because some how, some are

In the UK you can actually when your 16 as you can register as a sole trader.

Hi!
    Sorry to come in on this late.

Crissic Stated:

"Thats a bunch of bull. I'm 15 and I applied for an LLC with the Secretary of State, they gave it to me."

Funny..he told me his mother had to co-sign for it as well.

Kinda forgot to share that part of the story, eh?

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by karimali831 View Post
    I'm 16, I've been selling since 14 and the experience so far is great. Maybe at the start, didn't go to well...
    At whose expense, I wonder...

It's a great head start, in learning and experiencing. And no, not all under 18's are not mature enough, because some how, some are
    Regardless of your level of maturity, you are conducting business at an age that is illegal.

Why do so many young people have difficulty grasping this simple concept??

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    At whose expense, I wonder...

Regardless of your level of maturity, you are conducting business at an age that is illegal.

Why do so many young people have difficulty grasping this simple concept??

Vito
    Heart Internet, minimum age to work is 16.

I've been browsing around google, yahoo, and msn search engines!

I mostly get 18, some even say 21 depending on the state.

I saw some very valid facts though, I believe you must be 18 to start a paypal account. It being against the law to start a paypal account if your not 18+.

In most states you must be 18 to even sign a check, 18 to get a credit card, and 18 to get a bank account that's not a shared account with your parents.

If your under 18 you are not binded by any contract without a parental co-signer. This means if someone buys a 280 dollar dedicated server off you, and you can't supply it, and they want to sue you... they can't?

I would think that if you posted on your business the true age of yourself and your customers saw it, you wouldn't be having the customers you have.

and I go back to my original statement, being underage and running a business could really mess up your future. Kids these days are too apt to grow up and they just aren't mature enough.
    PHP5 / MySQL / CUSTOM TEMPLATING / CLEAN & MAINTAINABLE CODING
    WEB DEVELOPMENT via CUSTOM DESIGN / PROGRAMMING

I've been browsing around google, yahoo, and msn search engines!

I mostly get 18, some even say 21 depending on the state.

I saw some very valid facts though, I believe you must be 18 to start a paypal account. It being against the law to start a paypal account if your not 18+.

In most states you must be 18 to even sign a check, 18 to get a credit card, and 18 to get a bank account that's not a shared account with your parents.

If your under 18 you are not binded by any contract without a parental co-signer. This means if someone buys a 280 dollar dedicated server off you, and you can't supply it, and they want to sue you... they can't?

I would think that if you posted on your business the true age of yourself and your customers saw it, you wouldn't be having the customers you have.

and I go back to my original statement, being underage and running a business could really mess up your future. Kids these days are too apt to grow up and they just aren't mature enough.
    Not exactly true. You must be at least 13 years old to get a debit card here, and at least 13 years old to get an additional pre-paid master card under the adult's behalf. This is what I use. Maybe that's the US, but in the UK it's allowed.

Don't use PayPal anymore, as if my account is limited, there's not much I can do when it comes to providing proof of my driver's license, or such documents.

You could start off a business at home and end up working at a enterprise data center with some knowledge and previous experience.

I really don't understand how this is a detrimental affect for your future aswell :/

And remember you don't have to be a formed company to sell hosting. Nothing wrong with being a trader or reselling privately to your friends and family!

I believe one should only call a business company, when the business is legally registered as a limited liability company. The requirements of this depends on which country you are in.

You got a web design, domain and a reseller account, are you a web hosting company? I don't think so. Let's not insult the meaning of the word company.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lee View Post
    And remember you don't have to be a formed company to sell hosting. Nothing wrong with being a trader or reselling privately to your friends and family!
    That is dependent on for how much you sell for.

Heart Internet, minimum age to work is 16.
    Thanks, I'll let the guy I know there that they are entering into contracts with minors. Sorry Sole traders have to be 18 as far as I am aware.I'll double check with our accountant when I next speak to them.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    Thanks, I'll let the guy I know there that they are entering into contracts with minors. Sorry Sole traders have to be 18 as far as I am aware.I'll double check with our accountant when I next speak to them.
    In some places you can be a minor, yet have a legal guardian as the juridicial person behind the actual company.

This topic has been covered so many times here. The fact of the matter is that you must be 18 years old in order to enter into a contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Lee View Post
    You got a web design, domain and a reseller account, are you a web hosting company? I don't think so. Let's not insult the meaning of the word company.
    Unfortunately, far too many <18 year olds create web hosting sites with nothing more than a TM template, a reseller account, a domain and an illegal PP account. This is a fact. Unfortunately, most of them are started around June (when school gets out) and shut down in September (when school resumes).
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    In some places you can be a minor, yet have a legal guardian as the juridicial person behind the actual company.
    Would that all minors abided by this. Sadly, many do not. So their customers end up unknowingly entering into a contract with minors.

It's far too easy to hangle a shingle as a web host with nothing more than a $100 investment. Until this is (somehow) prevented, we will continue to see illegal web hosting.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    It's far too easy to hangle a shingle as a web host with nothing more than a $100 investment. Until this is (somehow) prevented, we will continue to see illegal web hosting.
    Sadly you are probably correct in this assesment, Vito.

Hi!
    And since WHT refuses to do anything about it...we've got 15 year olds reselling servers for Burst and others. Not good.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I have no problem with someone under 18 showing some ambition and wanting to enter business, they should wait until they are legal or if the must do it now, get a parent to form the company with them and help with the responsibility and guide them.

That way your customers aren't left high and dry when/if you drop it and its legal !
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1 View Post
    Hi!
    And since WHT refuses to do anything about it...we've got 15 year olds reselling servers for Burst and others. Not good.
    What could WHT do about this? (Beside banning the members, which I don't think is a good idea personally.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast