Sharepoint Hosting - I got questions.

Hey newbies,

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I'm calling for your attention cause my company is looking for a sharepoint hosting solution.

We have been roaming around for a reputable company that doesn't entirely rape on price. I didn't think it would cost $30/month for only 1 GIG of space.

So, what I wanted to ask was the following:
    1. Anyone know a good SharePoint hosting Company?
    2. Is it smarter to house an in-house server for this, or go with a hosting company?
    3. How many gigs you think I can get away with for about $50/month?
    4. We are using this to organize our company internally, is this a good solution to go with?
    5. Does sharepoint let me share my information with a partner company, without having to give them a login? (Like a website with information they need to know.)

If anyone knows a better solution for company management programs (that are accessible online) let me know! We are a service based company handling everything from hosting and web design to full color printing and music recording.

We need something to manage deadlines, projects, to-do lists, client lists (and files), and basically have an internal comment board for EVERYTHING.

K, hit me with your best! <3

Sharepoint with Project Server would do what you're after - the problem is the license costs are going to be pricey, so expect to get ~1-5 GB/mth for 20-50$.

Kind Regards,

Also, you must pay for each authenticated user. If you want to allow anonymous login, it costs nearly $1600/month from Microsoft to support this, so you're likly going to be charged out the butt for it.

Remember, too, that it is not so much how much space you use but the reason it is more taxing on the infrastructure the more space you use. SharePoint isn't like a shared cPanel hosting account, it's an enterprise level platform.

How big is your company? I'd think twice about using it, unless you know specific reasons why you think it will help you.

Finally, Project Server is a hunk of crap. I've had to use it both from an administration standpoint and end-user perspective. Project and Project Server are just awful. Take a look at Basecamp by 37signal. GREAT web-based product for project tracking.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 6PS-Chris View Post
    Also, you must pay for each authenticated user. If you want to allow anonymous login, it costs nearly $1600/month from Microsoft to support this, so you're likly going to be charged out the butt for it.

Remember, too, that it is not so much how much space you use but the reason it is more taxing on the infrastructure the more space you use. SharePoint isn't like a shared cPanel hosting account, it's an enterprise level platform.

How big is your company? I'd think twice about using it, unless you know specific reasons why you think it will help you.

Finally, Project Server is a hunk of crap. I've had to use it both from an administration standpoint and end-user perspective. Project and Project Server are just awful. Take a look at Basecamp by 37signal. GREAT web-based product for project tracking.

-Chris
    MS Project and Project server are solid products, used by GM, GE and hundreds of other multi-billion dollar companies. I've used it on every large project we've had and have great success with it.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    MS Project and Project server are solid products, used by GM, GE and hundreds of other multi-billion dollar companies. I've used it on every large project we've had and have great success with it.

Regards,
    Okay, I take back what I said. For a large enterprise Project is a good thing. It's integrated with AD and Exchange and makes things easy. If your team is under 30 people, I think it's a bad fit. I was making an assumption about the original poster's use of the product.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 6PS-Chris View Post
    Okay, I take back what I said. For a large enterprise Project is a good thing. It's integrated with AD and Exchange and makes things easy. If your team is under 30 people, I think it's a bad fit. I was making an assumption about the original poster's use of the product.

-Chris
    I agree 100%. If you have a handful of people standing up a full MS infrastructure makes no sense. However, if you can find a service provider that does it with a SaaS model, then I think there can be a benefit.

I totally agree however - right tool for the right job.

Regards,