Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vietnam and Japan
    Posts
    346

    Question How to start a dedicate server?

    Hello,

    I just ordered a server from VD. I got an email said that my server was online from 5 hours ago. However, I do not know how to connect my server. They gave me 2 IPs but when I clicked those, I got an error like this:

    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at *.*.*.*.

    and they said that my Directadmin control panel will be installed shortly, but after 5 hours, I did not get any more information update from them.

    Can the guys tell me what should I do? Those information is enough for me to run a server?

    This is the first time I run dedicate server, so it made me a little bit confused.

    Thank you and any help will be highly appreciated.

    Thanh

    Sorry my bad English
    Last edited by manindarkjp; 03-01-2008 at 12:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    I don't know where to start. I'm assuming you're running a Linux server. Do you even know what that is? Wait, don't answer that.

    You may want to hire a server administrator, or get a fully managed dedicated server, or get a reseller account. All while doing a lot of reading. I hope you don't plan on using this as a production box until you do the before mentioned tasks.

    Reading material
    http://tldp.org
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO/

    May I asked why you decided to rent a server?
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vietnam and Japan
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    I don't know where to start. I'm assuming you're running a Linux server. Do you even know what that is? Wait, don't answer that.

    You may want to hire a server administrator, or get a fully managed dedicated server, or get a reseller account. All while doing a lot of reading. I hope you don't plan on using this as a production box until you do the before mentioned tasks.

    Reading material
    http://tldp.org
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO/

    May I asked why you decided to rent a server?
    Thank you very much.

    I am current running a forum hosted on VPS. But my community is getting bigger and it becomes too small. I still want to use VPS by adding more RAM, but they do not have next plan with more RAM. So I have no choice to rent a dedicate server.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    You have a choice of getting a VPS somewhere else with more RAM.

    How did you manage your VPS, or was it fully managed?
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vietnam and Japan
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    You have a choice of getting a VPS somewhere else with more RAM.

    How did you manage your VPS, or was it fully managed?
    I thought about that, but VPS with over 1GB RAM is the same price with dedicate server, so I decided to rent a server with more resources instead of getting more RAM from VPS.

    Yes, I do not manage my VPS by my self, powervps is semi-managed, but they helped me a lot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    You decided to rent a dedicated server, not realizing it doesn't manage itself, and that you will probably have to spend more money hiring a third-party to manage it, or getting a server fully managed.

    I could tell or show you how to connect to the server, but it's not going to do any good because you won't know what to do, and will probably cause major problems and cost more money.

    My advice has been said.

    Just for the heck of it, if your computer is windows, you need to download putty, and SSH into the box via the primary IP.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vietnam and Japan
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    You decided to rent a dedicated server, not realizing it doesn't manage itself, and that you will probably have to spend more money hiring a third-party to manage it, or getting a server fully managed.

    I could tell or show you how to connect to the server, but it's not going to do any good because you won't know what to do, and will probably cause major problems and cost more money.

    My advice has been said.

    Just for the heck of it, if your computer is windows, you need to download putty, and SSH into the box via the primary IP.
    Thank you for your advices. Yes, I am going to hire PSM to manage my server(first month), but at least I need to know how to manage a server. I will learn step by step.

    I know how to use SSH, but there are many commands that I do not know and function itself. Is there any E-book about this?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by manindarkjp View Post
    Hello,

    I just ordered a server from VD. I got an email said that my server was online from 5 hours ago. However, I do not know how to connect my server. They gave me 2 IPs but when I clicked those, I got an error like this:

    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at *.*.*.*.

    and they said that my Directadmin control panel will be installed shortly, but after 5 hours, I did not get any more information update from them.

    Can the guys tell me what should I do? Those information is enough for me to run a server?

    This is the first time I run dedicate server, so it made me a little bit confused.

    Thank you and any help will be highly appreciated.

    Thanh

    Sorry my bad English


    1st of all You did right to go with VolumeDrive,

    The team of Josh And Jeff "Rocks" ...

    And as far as you need help, i can provide you same, just PM me your MSN.

    Server needs no starting , just wait for your direct admin details, and login Panel and create domain details and just move in your site by SSH / DA backups ( if you were using DA earlier ).

    Any help from me will be provided

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696
    http://www.ss64.com/bash/

    I am teaching myself Linux by guides like these (when you click on a command, more info about it will be supplied)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,574
    Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    Just for the heck of it, if your computer is windows, you need to download putty, and SSH into the box via the primary IP.
    You also may use tunnelier (free for individual use)


    http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vietnam and Japan
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by VpsHosting View Post
    1st of all You did right to go with VolumeDrive,

    The team of Josh And Jeff "Rocks" ...

    And as far as you need help, i can provide you same, just PM me your MSN.

    Server needs no starting , just wait for your direct admin details, and login Panel and create domain details and just move in your site by SSH / DA backups ( if you were using DA earlier ).

    Any help from me will be provided
    Thank you so much. This is my first experience with dedicate server, so I must need your help .

    Yes, I read a lot about VD reviews before going with them. I hope I am not wrong.
    Last edited by manindarkjp; 03-01-2008 at 01:35 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vietnam and Japan
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Rob View Post
    http://www.ss64.com/bash/

    I am teaching myself Linux by guides like these (when you click on a command, more info about it will be supplied)
    Thank you. It is very useful

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by manindarkjp View Post
    Hello,

    I just ordered a server from VD. I got an email said that my server was online from 5 hours ago. However, I do not know how to connect my server. They gave me 2 IPs but when I clicked those, I got an error like this:

    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at *.*.*.*.

    and they said that my Directadmin control panel will be installed shortly, but after 5 hours, I did not get any more information update from them.

    Can the guys tell me what should I do? Those information is enough for me to run a server?

    This is the first time I run dedicate server, so it made me a little bit confused.

    Thank you and any help will be highly appreciated.

    Thanh

    Sorry my bad English

    Hello,

    As stated in the server online email. We will be installing DirectAdmin on your server shortly. Once this has been completed, you can access the DA portal via http://yourserverip:2222

    Thank You.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    Hello,

    As stated in the server online email. We will be installing DirectAdmin on your server shortly. Once this has been completed, you can access the DA portal via http://yourserverip:2222

    Thank You.
    Congratulation's on One more Happy Client VD
    Way to go VolumeDrive

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vietnam and Japan
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    Hello,

    As stated in the server online email. We will be installing DirectAdmin on your server shortly. Once this has been completed, you can access the DA portal via http://yourserverip:2222

    Thank You.
    Thank you, Josh. I am sure that the welcome email will come very soon

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by manindarkjp View Post
    Thank you, Josh. I am sure that the welcome email will come very soon
    Josh can hardly do anything in making it faster, as DirectAdmin themselves takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 24 hours, for the Activation of DA License for the requested IP.

    But, be rest assured, you will be provided details as soon as they receive them.

    Regards..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •