backup online store daily

hey wht

i host an online store on a vps account at the moment.

for added protection im looking to upgrade my dns and hosting setup so the domain points to my vps ip address in the first instance, then if that's unreachable the domain will point to my backup ip.

im under the impressiothe dns setup can be acheived easily with dnsmadeeasy.com or the likes. can anyone confirm this?

what i'd like to do is set up a mirror site of the one i have, and have cpanel / whm automatically update the backup nightly. incase the main site goes down, the backup will be there.

can this be acheived with current cpanel functionality or would it require a lot more than a few hours work?

does anyone know of any appropriate tutorials that could guide me though such steps?

thanks guys

ok i have confimred i can set up a failover dns system, but im not sure how to go about finding out about backing up the server automatically to the backup server.

is this possible with cpanel / whm?

EDIT: ****, sorry! this shouldn't be in the windows forum, i was sure i only posted in "web hosting forum".

I believe this is also known as DNS Clusterinng / Website Clustering and can work

Quote Originally Posted by streetmedia View Post
    ok i have confimred i can set up a failover dns system, but im not sure how to go about finding out about backing up the server automatically to the backup server.

is this possible with cpanel / whm?

EDIT: ****, sorry! this shouldn't be in the windows forum, i was sure i only posted in "web hosting forum".

You can do nightly backups, however you should store the files remotely as well. There's no sense backing up to the same drive you're backing up from.

If you have a VPS, and a reliable provider along with backups, you really shouldn't be having to worry about "failover" systems. If in the event that a provider screws up, you can ask them to provision another server, restore the back up and be on your way with it.

However, if it's in your budget, knock yourself out!
    Kaumil P.

@streetmedia How much can you spend on your backup?

Kaumil, I am satisfied my vps provider is backing up my files in accordance with our agreement, but I'm after a failover system for redundancy.

I am talking about backing up to a remote server.

Henrik I spend about $50 a month on a vps account - I was planning on spending roughly the same on the backup. Do you think I should go for a cheaper vps backup solution? I have seen some pretty cheap deals around $20 - $30 pm. I'd never consider these primary solutions, but they might be alright as failovers.

My vps is with what I consider the best in the business, it's never went down and the support is amazing. The more redundancy I can offer my clients the better.

I'm reading up on DNS clustering at the moment. This is what I'm after I think. If anyone has any advice on the matter it would be greatly appreciated

May be you can look at fail over hosting. There are hosts which offer fail over hosting, where your data is synchronized in two servers, and if one goes down, data will be pulled up from the other one.
    As far as I know, it is a hardware setup and is configured at the host end. So you won't need any configuration at your end and data will be pulled up even if one server is down.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Quote Originally Posted by streetmedia View Post
    Henrik I spend about $50 a month on a vps account - I was planning on spending roughly the same on the backup. Do you think I should go for a cheaper vps backup solution? I have seen some pretty cheap deals around $20 - $30 pm. I'd never consider these primary solutions, but they might be alright as failovers.
    If I were you I'd get a backup service where you rsync your files to and then in case of your host goes down (how big of a chance is that on your current setup?) for a longer period of time, you have your data and can move to another provider pretty quickly. I don't know, I don't believe in making it more difficult than it has to be (and a backup service would be cheaper than a secondary VPS as well)