Thread: Fraud Purchase

Fraud Purchase

Recently, I had 4 orders, I figured they were fraud when they all came at almost the same time, largest game server package, annual, and every addition. He ordered, and modified PayPal to think he only owed $0.01 and my billing system activated his account. So I banned him from my server, watch out for these guys

-Nick Kitmitto

Can you list his ip or email? or something

Its a stuipid lame attempt. Kid must be 6 or something.

The IP is 86.20.235.79
    Multiple Emails Used.

I always moderate my accounts. Having automatic account setup can be dangerous to the security of your web server.

Good thing it was game servers and I set those up manually

How did he make PayPal think that he only owed $0.01? Actually, don't post it here, then everyone will do it. Don't you encrypt information sent to PayPal, so that it can't be modified?

Quote Originally Posted by Internet-Guru View Post
    Good thing it was game servers and I set those up manually
    Ya that is a good thing. I learned my lesson a few time with auto setups. These guys can have a fake site setup in minutes.

domain name he uses would be helpful as well, increase he uses these fake emails or IP is different.

I've seen a few similar orders myself recently but maxmind did a good job of squashing them.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Fraud is a fact of life. Instead of worrying about blocking one individual that another host has had problems with, just make sure you have robust fraud checks in place.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

We avoid instant activation like the plague, no telling who can signup and start spamming if the order gets by during a time of influx. And fraudsters nowadays are taking great measures to slip by unnoticed, going as far as using VPNs to make it look like they're the 'legit' card holder.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

I have had over 50 signups, this hasn't happened to me (yet). I am a bit worried now, the worst thing that happened was that when I was overselling a bit, back in the day, I had offered 100 GB of space and he filled over 40 GB in a few hours. I had to buy another HDD.
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

Quote Originally Posted by Internet-Guru View Post
    The IP is 86.20.235.79
    Multiple Emails Used.
    Are you using MaxMind? That will cut out 90% of your fraud. But, never use that as your sole judgment.

Other things to look for/do are:
    - Never, EVER activate ANY account before screening it for fraud. It might seem nice, but no fraud detection software is fool-proof.

- WHOIS the domain and see if that info matches the signup info

- Voice verify any order that seems suspicious. For best measure, voice verify them all.

- Try a Phone Reverse Lookup - It's not necessarily a red flag if nothing comes back, but should be looked into.

- Check the area code of the phone # and make sure it matches the state and general region of the address provided.

- Use the MaxMind Phone Identification system. If it returns a non-fixed VoIP line DON'T TAKE THE ORDER. In my experience, this is a huge sign of fraud. In this day and age, if people don't have either a home phone or a cell phone, and have to rely on Skype (and other tools of that sort) to place their Internet orders, then something's wrong.

- Google the domain name, customer name, email, and username to see if anything negative comes up. Not a bad idea to run the IP across WHT search to see if it pops up either.

- Believe it or not - I've caught a few fraud orders searching on MySpace. So there are endless ways to trace an order to make sure it's legit.

I personally spend around 15-20 minutes fraud checking an order. But, that's just me. I hate fraud...I hate chargebacks...I hate chargeback fees. So, I take extra care to avoid it.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

How you catch fruad orders using Myspace.....

Thats just weird but I geuss it works lol.

Quote Originally Posted by feomateo View Post
    How you catch fruad orders using Myspace.....

Thats just weird but I geuss it works lol.
    You can see if their name comes up and then see where they're from. You can also see if they're of age and old enough to enter into a contract
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burtan View Post
    I have had over 50 signups, this hasn't happened to me (yet). I am a bit worried now, the worst thing that happened was that when I was overselling a bit, back in the day, I had offered 100 GB of space and he filled over 40 GB in a few hours. I had to buy another HDD.
    Hosts that offer that kind of storage space and bandwidth, I'd love to see everyone fill that up just to see what happens oh boy, it's not going to be good.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

I'd be very happy to see that suddenly happen to a major host or two... Ones that oversell. All customers legitimately fill their hosting space.

Ah well... Dreams...
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

ya my small reseller hosting business has gotten idiots too. had people signing up for the absolute most expensive packages available with all add-ons and their CC's would decline a bunch of times before hitting a good one, which i'd void. it's liek they think that if they give you a ton of money you'll look the other way