What kind of web host do I need?

I've built a couple of web sites and it looks like I'll be building some more, so I thought I'd consolidate all of them onto one web host and settled on BlueHost. BlueHost gives me lots of space, bandwidth and everything else, but it's not quite what I expected. Although I'm able to share domains with as many others as I can fit in, they are all subordinate to the primary domain (we'll call it BigHouse.com). So any domains that I add to my space basically become subfolders within BigHouse. The directory tree would look something like:
    /home/bighouse/public_html/site2/...
    /home/bighouse/public_html/site3/...

Of course all the BigHouse pages live in the same public_html directory as the other sites' top level directories.

Please understand that these are not sub-domains. They are full-blown, real-live, ordinary domains. Type in www .site2. com and you'll get exactly what you would expect. (Sorry about the extra spaces in the phony URL.)

Now, with my previous host, my site was one of many under the umbrella of a single consulting company which we'll call LiveOakGroup. As I understood it LiveOakGroup essentially rented space from a true web hosting company and then divvied up their space and resources among their clients much like I'm doing. However each site had its own cPanel, band width limits, statistics, etc. and could set up their own email accounts. Also as far as I could tell none of us were subordinate to the primary domain.

So what kind of hosting is that called?

I know this has been a long question and I hope it makes sense.

I think your talking about reseller hosting. Where you get WHM access and can make each website its own cpanel account.

The first part with the directory structure is addon domains. They are domains that use the same space and login as your main account.

A reseller account can set separate cPanel logins for each domain with separate resources etc.

Cpanel and Directadmin both offer Add On Domains - that's what you're searching for.
    http://www.hostpc.com
    DirectAdmin servers for hosting, resellers and your dedicated needs.
    Hosting, Resellers, Dedicated Managed and Unmanaged servers
    Hosting since 11/98 - Specializing in DirectAdmin since 8/03

Hi

As hostpc.com said if you are looking for reduces account size you can add your some domain in to addon domain. Also you can reduce the cost that are coming from all your web site.

Whats your space and bandwith requirments? Also what is your Budget?
    Amd-Communications - Affordable and Powerful Web Hosting Services www.amd-comms.co.uk
    Toll Free: 0800 043 2336 E-mail: sales[at]amd-comms.co.uk Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - VPS Servers - Fresh IT Solutions

That's one of the good things about the H-Sphere Control Panel ....all domains are always full-blown domains, none of this confusing add-on domain structure.

Under cPanel it's Reseller hosting but under H-Sphere, it's just standard hosting
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by imountain View Post
    That's one of the good things about the H-Sphere Control Panel ....all domains are always full-blown domains, none of this confusing add-on domain structure.

Under cPanel it's Reseller hosting but under H-Sphere, it's just standard hosting
    Care to explain ? what is so confusing about add-on domains ? (note that since cpanel11 you do not need to have your add-on domains under your main domains public_html anymore).
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Care to explain ? what is so confusing about add-on domains ? (note that since cpanel11 you do not need to have your add-on domains under your main domains public_html anymore).
    Greetings 040Hosting

When you have your main site in your public_html directory and then all your other domains in the same directory, it's hard to figure out where one domain starts and the other one ends.

We actually did a migration of 30+ domains from cPanel and that was quite a challenge because the user had about 600 files/subdirectories in their main domain public_html.

We've done a few migrations from cPanel 11 and it would seem that most users are still putting all their domains under the main domain.

cPanel migration to cPanel migration is the best in the industry. But cPanel to any other control Panel can be challenging.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by imountain View Post
    We've done a few migrations from cPanel 11 and it would seem that most users are still putting all their domains under the main domain.

cPanel migration to cPanel migration is the best in the industry. But cPanel to any other control Panel can be challenging.
    Greetings Imountain,

Thanks for your explanation; I know many of the users still do add domains under their main domain root, and i understand this may be confusing if transferring to a non-cpanel host. However for the end-user (and that is where we are talking about) it does not matter they can easily look up in the control-panel what would be the right place.

On the migration part, i believe it would be awkward if cPanel would make moving to another control-panel easier as moving between their own control-panel, guess that counts for all control panels out there
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

i think you are talking about the reseller hostings