Virgin Media... Doing my head in!!

Hi there,

Is anyone here having any issues with Virgin media these days? My connection is super slow, I have a 10mb connection and it's been really bad for about 3-4months... I'm getting download speeds of no more than 400-500kb/s and the average is around 120kb/s

Anyone had same problems? Anyone recommend a different host? I was considering going over to O2 (as I work for them, I don't have a BT line yet thats the only problem )

Test:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/240520723.png

Scott,

I feel your pain, I have had the exact same problem.
    Everything was great with the 10Mbps service but when they upgraded it to 20Mbps oooooooooo it all went tits up.

I have since given up and downgraded to 4Mbps since that is all I seem to be getting these days, why pay an extra Ł15/mon for something I don't get.

I prefer to test my speed from DSL Connect UK it's less graphic intensive, more bare bones

Shut down PC, unplug power from cablemodem and unplug the (blue) cablemodem to PC line. Wait 30 seconds to a minute plug in power. Wait for lights to steady (far right). Plug in (blue) cablemodem to PC line. Restart PC.

I have to do it sometimes but, not very often

Then do another speedtest. Is it resolved.
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

It's a nightmare.

I recieved a letter from them a couple of months ago; informing me of a free upgrade to the 10mb connection, but it's been awful ever since. Tried e-mailing their support but they still haven't got back to me yet.

Perhaps it's time to give up my 10years of being a loyal customer and move

Exactly what I did some time ago but, found telephone lines are worse than cable. It was horrendous!

I was supposed to get 4MB but barely got 1MB - never again

The grass isn't always greener on the other side and sometimes it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't

Obviously personal prefeence
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥

I'd kill for cable, I only live 20ft away from a box but they won't run a cable up to me
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

I never had any issue with my 20Mb connection but their support sucks. No one has a clue.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/240534189.png
    Zenex 5ive - Flexible High Bandwidth Hosting Solutions
    We can deploy high bandwidth servers in 20+ locations around the world
    10TB, 30TB, 100TB, 1PB, 1Gbps/10Gbps Unmetered Bandwidth
    Skype - zenex5ive

It's a shame your area is effected by it, their newsgroup shown this problem in many areas with some areas having ongoing issues for over a year.

I did used to have issues when it was blueyonder which were mostly lataency however someone came, played around outside and it's been fine ever since. Since the virginmedia take over i've still had 2MB/s pretty much constant it's rare that it drops and when it does I can still sustain 1MB/s during those peaks. Guess I got lucky so far.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ View Post
    I prefer to test my speed from DSL Connect UK it's less graphic intensive, more bare bones

Shut down PC, unplug power from cablemodem and unplug the (blue) cablemodem to PC line. Wait 30 seconds to a minute plug in power. Wait for lights to steady (far right). Plug in (blue) cablemodem to PC line. Restart PC.

I have to do it sometimes but, not very often

Then do another speedtest. Is it resolved.
    Done it.

Says 3.8mb lol

I switched from BT to O2 and they've been very good.

Although I paid for the upto 16mg, I get 10mg constantly sometimes more but never less than 10, so I'm happy enough with it...it's still cheaper and better than bt's con.

Upload speeds great too.

Yes it would be great to get the full 16mg but given that I only pay Ł15 a month...when I used to pay BT Ł24 for their upto 8mg option3 which never even went close, then I still think O2's a far better deal.

Something needs to be done to regulate companies like BT. Although they state it's upto 8mg...etc depending on how far you live from the exchange....ok.

My point is...they sell you upto 8mg broadband full well knowing that because you live say 2km's from the nearest exchange, you will be lucky to hit speeds of 4 or 5mg but they still charge to the full price and I think that's a blatant conwhich needs to be dealt with accordingly.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 02-29-2008 at 06:53 PM.
    ‹(•ż•
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Mc View Post
    It's a shame your area is effected by it, their newsgroup shown this problem in many areas with some areas having ongoing issues for over a year.

I did used to have issues when it was blueyonder which were mostly lataency however someone came, played around outside and it's been fine ever since. Since the virginmedia take over i've still had 2MB/s pretty much constant it's rare that it drops and when it does I can still sustain 1MB/s during those peaks. Guess I got lucky so far.
    Scott,

I've been with them since the dial up days and never had an issue until recently. I don't understand how it could drop so badly, my friend who lives about 5-10mins walk from me has no problems with his 20mb connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    I switched from BT to O2 and they've been very good.

Although I paid for the upto 16mg, I get 10mg constantly sometimes more but never less than 10, so I'm happy enough with it...it's still cheaper and better than bt's con.

Upload speeds great too.

Yes it would be great to get the full 16mg but given that I only pay Ł15 a month...when I used to pay BT Ł24 for their upto 8mg option3 which never even went close, then I still think O2's a far better deal.

owm
    OWM,

Yeh I have heard the service is very good, especially because the network isn't very busy. As I work with them, they offer all the staff members the top package for a fiver a month which is a fantastic deal...

It will be interesting to see what speed cable is running at by the time 21CN is rolled out.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post
    Done it.

Says 3.8mb lol

Sometimes the cablemodems sys file needs a refresh - unfortunately you have to call VM customer support!

If you know usenet/newsgroups the techs hangout in virginmedia.support.broadband.cable and they'll do it for free
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥

Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post
    Anyone recommend a different host? I was considering going over to O2 (as I work for them, I don't have a BT line yet thats the only problem )

Test:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/240520723.png
    My friend on Virgin Media complains about the same problem. Although he has 20mbps..

I'm with Sky Broadband. Getting a good 15/16mbps and it's only Ł10 per month. Been with them almost a year without any problems. I would recommend them

Do o2 and Sky place a bandwidth cap per month?
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥

their forum seesm to work:
    virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
    zaax

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ View Post
    Do o2 and Sky place a bandwidth cap per month?
    Nah, they say unlimited... apparently O2 are letting customer run riot with the bandwidth since it's so quiet.

OT: I was with o2 but, cancelled my contract recently and moved to 3. I don't have a phone line but, have VM broadband

Not bad because if VM goes down or off I have my 3 phone that can be used for broadband by plugging in my phone to the usb port
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥