Is it better to have MySQL DBs on a different harddrive?

Hello,

I a powerful cPanel server and I'm afraid of running out of I/O resources before the CPU and memory. So what do you think about having a different drive for MySQL DBs. Should this lower the risk of running out of I/O resources?

Please advise.

No, best to run the MySQL on separate machine.

I cannot afford that currently. So is it better to have a single drive for everything or 2 drives; 1 for the server and one for MySQL DBs?

Please advise.

Yup 2 drives is better on a different SATA (or whatever) channel. Or it should be from knowledge.. I'm no hardware guru.

I remember a couple of years ago a dedi provider saying they would do that for me to improve MySQL performance.

It's best to setup RAID10 or run MySQL on a separate server. However, having a different drive for MySQL db will improve the performance a bit (go this way if your budget is limited).
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

yes, It is better.

But not very much since a single SATA would not be enough for SQL.

The best would be single drive (if you are in budget) SCSI or SAS.

Performance is very noticable.