Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hostgator Load Issue

I was one of the numerous satisfied Hostgator clients that got 100% satisfaction for money paid. But, sincerely I don’t know what to think anymore.

I have been a Hostgator reseller for over a year now, and all I have received is praise and commendation from my clients. However, something seems to have gone amiss with their recent drive to remain competitive at all cost.

My sites now run very slow intermittently and when I check the load status on WHM, I see that their server loads are high and some services show a fail status. I chatted with a support staff, but she was not helping matters as she insisted that the server in question (Stingray) was up and running. I never said it was not up; I complained about the sluggishness of the server.

Here is the latest service status I am getting:
    cpanellogd up
    cpsrvd up
    exim (exim-4.68-1_cpanel_maildir) failed
    exim-26 up
    eximstats up
    ftpd up
    httpd (1.3.37 (Unix)) up
    imap up
    mysql (4.1.22-standard) up
    named (9.2.4) up
    pop up
    spamd failed
    syslogd up
    Server Load 123.59 (2 cpus)
    Memory Used 68.5 %
    Swap Used 16.88 %
    Disk /dev/sda6 (/tmp) 6 %
    Disk /dev/sda7 (/home) 28 %
    Disk /dev/sda1 (/) 25 %
    Disk /dev/sda2 (/var) 36 %
    Disk /dev/sda3 (/usr) 45 %
    Last edited by bibleman; 02-29-2008 at 01:00 PM.
    The second beast forces all people important and unimportant, rich and poor, free and slaves to be marked on their right hands or on their foreheads so that no one may buy or sell unless he has the mark, which is the beast's name or the number of its name.

Tickets and Livechat should make no difference. Moreover, the Livechat application indicated that I was on to a support personnel.
    The second beast forces all people important and unimportant, rich and poor, free and slaves to be marked on their right hands or on their foreheads so that no one may buy or sell unless he has the mark, which is the beast's name or the number of its name.

It makes a huge difference, and the majority of ticket reps. will ask you to submit a ticket. Should it make a difference, in a utopia: no.

Realistically? None of the chat representatives are intended to do anything but sales and really basic support.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Wow server load at 123.59, i would get submit a support ticket with them straight away to find out whats causing it as well as to get it sorted.

If the server load is that high, I'm sure you aren't the only one having issues.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

You will fine very experienced chat techs, as you will find some that are not that experienced.

As for the load issue, I would recommend you submitting a ticket by e-mailing [email protected] so one of the system administrators can actually check what is going on with the server. Chat Techs do not have access to check what could cause such a thing, they are meant for basic support, even thought so times they go further than that. Believe me.

Just make sure you are specific that this happens intermittently and not just once or every once in a while. They will monitor the server most likely and see if they catch the customer that is overloading the server you are on.

I think they are over selling and its catching up, as your clients build history on their sites they tend to get more traffic and tend to use more.

You "think" they are over-selling?

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post
    Tickets and Livechat should make no difference. Moreover, the Livechat application indicated that I was on to a support personnel.
    The reason why tickets and live chat are not the same is because it is easier to keep a track on issues in a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessy View Post
    Wow server load at 123.59, i would get submit a support ticket with them straight away to find out whats causing it as well as to get it sorted.
    Lol i think that server's aligator is busy eating up too much competition and now having indigestion issues. Ask Hostgator to give their gator a coke or maybe beer to digest all those hosts/competition they just ate up.

I am sure that will speed up and lower the load.

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post

OMG i am Shocked they oversell baaahhh what gives ?

The server you are on has had over 13 months of uptime without a single reboot being needed other then to upgrade kernels. The server load is at 3.24 at the moment.

I'm always watching server loads and actually noticed yesterday when it hi 100+ load for a brief period. We logged in and disabled the culprit and will continue to monitor / take action just like we always do if it happens again.

Our reseller plans aren't actually oversold that much. It's the shared plans that are crazy...

We haven't added any more reseller accounts to your server since the day you joined it. The fact is resellers are always adding and removing accounts and at some point someone is going to add a site that causes a problem until we login and take action.

If you have any more problems please contact me at brent @hostgator.com

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post

I'm always watching server loads and actually noticed yesterday when it hi 100+ load for a brief period. We logged in and disabled the culprit and will continue to monitor / take action just like we always do if it happens again.

Our reseller plans aren't actually oversold that much. It's the shared plans that are crazy...
    Oh so it wasn't the gator getting indigestion issues than ?

Did he puke or something to get his tummy all sorted out ?

But can i ask a personal question, why do you guys use the overselling policy anyways ?

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    Sorry I meant to say, They are over selling but not managing the resources, in my last job with hosting company they hosted 4000 domains per server.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive View Post
    Sorry I meant to say, They are over selling but not managing the resources, in my last job with hosting company they hosted 4000 domains per server.
    You kidding me, i freak out when i see a load of 1.00 on my server and am already loosing sleeping over the question shall i upgrade now or wait or what. Asked jose he said thats not a high load at all. But i love numbers in range of 0.2 to 0.7 only

I wonder what load that 4000 domains had on the server !!!! Probably 1000.9922

Energizer Bunny: You are freaking out on 1.00 load? Single proc or what? Nothing to worry as its not a good indicator on your actual CPU/IO usage.
    Otto Yiu
    Rsync Palace ● Providing offsite backups since 2007.
    Backomatic ● Hassle-free Automated cPanel/WHM, DirectAdmin, FTP, and MySQL backups.

It's easy to have a load of nothing when you have no customers. =)

Seriously man calm down and focus on running your business rather then bashing every host that you're jealous of. We have one of the best reputations on the web. Our servers load instantly without any slow downs, and if one comes up from someone doing something they shouldn't we solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive View Post
    That's ok. Apology accepted.

If the load is high and things are crawling, the best thing to do is to tell Live Chat. They will tell whoever they have to to get it fixed. Submitting a ticket is ok as well, but that is only really if you want a follow up on the situation.

Brent is right. Downtimes have been non-existent, to the best of my knowledge, since I joined Hostgator. I think he is a great guy that takes his business very seriously.

Everything is back to normal and I hope it stays that way. Resource abusers should be dealt with expeditiously to prevent issues like this.

God Bless Hostgator.

It's clearly something with that specific server, not a "company wide" problem... I'm a reseller with HG and my server load is a whopping 0.47 in the middle of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    You kidding me, i freak out when i see a load of 1.00 on my server and am already loosing sleeping over the question shall i upgrade now or wait or what. Asked jose he said thats not a high load at all. But i love numbers in range of 0.2 to 0.7 only

I wonder what load that 4000 domains had on the server !!!! Probably 1000.9922
    Not really, mostly static sites, that's how they operated, stuff 2-4k static sits on one server, move all ones using up all the resources onto another.

Seriously man calm down and focus on running your business rather then bashing every host that you're jealous of. We have one of the best reputations on the web. Our servers load instantly without any slow downs, and if one comes up from someone doing something they shouldn't we solve the problem.
    The best are always hated, right?

Glad to see you post something like this, Brent. I'm guessing the majority of the people who are bashing you guys have never hosted with you. I had a few sites with you guys at one point and everything was great. Keep it up!
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

Yaa i suppose but if only i had no customers i would be able to prove that theory too
    Seriously man calm down and focus on running your business rather then bashing every host that you're jealous of. We have one of the best reputations on the web.

Jealous and a bunny you gotta be kidding me , i am not jealous its just that its my nature that i get really mad when someone lies to me or is basically a liar overall, and that includes hosts lying to their customer that hey mate, you get so and so space and bw for so and so money, but when infact the entire server even doesnt have that much space or bw at all. So, i tend to get mad rather than jealous.

Example you see a cool LCD tv for like very cheap price in some store of a nice brand too, and rush to the store as its limited stock only(ps store aint got no phone lolz to make it more fictional). And you go there specially for the TV only and whooops what you notice at the counter, that your bill is not as what it should be according to flyer. Now now what went wrong ?

Oh yaa the store put a condition that its for that much price if you buy some other stuff from them first.

So would you be like mad at store, or would be jealous at store or would u just say "bunny has gone crazy" << my pick

Bottom line , bunny not jealous just cannot understand what one gets out of lying to their customers and overselling, hey read the fine print on my about us page you will see what i mean by not lying, i say it what i mean right on the site.

PS: i never bashed you hostgator, you only assumed that i did

Just an example of someone who doesn't understand what the metric means at all. If you're going to throw out a machine when it hits above 1 you may as well get single core and processor systems otherwise you're throwing money away.

The telling tale is when things are slow which usually can be seen when your load average starts being above your actual number of cpu's. From my experience its noticable when you start seeing a load 2 times that of your number of CPU's.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Just an example of someone who doesn't understand what the metric means at all. If you're going to throw out a machine when it hits above 1 you may as well get single core and processor systems otherwise you're throwing money away.

The telling tale is when things are slow which usually can be seen when your load average starts being above your actual number of cpu's. From my experience its noticable when you start seeing a load 2 times that of your number of CPU's.
    Oh so i got this machine called Amd X2 4600 so i should worry when load is like at 4.00 or something ?

Oh so i got this machine called Amd X2 4600 so i should worry when load is like at 4.00 or something ?
    Load of 4 shouldn't cause any issues, a load above 10-16 is when you need to start investigating. Now a load average of between 4-10 on that CPU clearly means that the server is overloaded. Load spikes can happen, so the load averages are a better tool for that.

If it's a constant 4 with spikes of much higher then it could be an issue.

It's all about when the server starts to get slow and I would not use load average is my end all of when a server is far to loaded.

Reason being load average is the number of processes in queue waiting to be processed. So there are ways to have that load become an inflated number that is not reflective of the actual strain on the machine.

One way I could think of causing it would to be spawning a 1000 processes of some kind then killing them all at once. You'll find the load average spike to close to a 1000 while your system is running fine.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Can't a high average load be due to disc issues as well? (Common in NAS supported servers, so I have heard.)

It's easy to have a load of nothing when you have no customers.
    There's no need to be rude. A load of "nothing" is also easily accomplished through excellent server management.

Smaller companies indeed have fewer customers than HG, but they also are in a position to have higher margins and more attentive admins.

I mean, look at that -- a load of 1.0 and somebody has indigestion! I can't tell you how many data centers I've worked with (internally), where boxes were down for hours and the techs couldn't have cared less.......... I'll take the guy freaking out over a load of 1.0, any day. His customers tend to be far better taken care of than the majority of companies out there care to provide.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Can't a high average load be due to disc issues as well? (Common in NAS supported servers, so I have heard.)
    If you mean in terms of I/O or swap, yes.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    If you mean in terms of I/O or swap, yes.

Bailey
    Indeed. On our beloved Dreamhost there's been servers spiking through the roof in terms of load averages, though the actual performance wasn't bad at all.

There's no need to be rude. A load of "nothing" is also easily accomplished through excellent server management.
    Baah he was trying to be rude to a bunny ?, baah bad HG bad...

I mean, look at that -- a load of 1.0 and somebody has indigestion! I can't tell you how many data centers I've worked with (internally), where boxes were down for hours and the techs couldn't have cared less.......... I'll take the guy freaking out over a load of 1.0, any day. His customers tend to be far better taken care of than the majority of companies out there care to provide.

Bailey
    I am just selfish you can say, as all my sites are hosted on same server as are clients, why be my sites get different treatment than my customers? After all they also want reliable hosting where sites are more or less up rather than down and have not to worry about seeing 100.222+ as the load in their cpanel .

Oh one more thing, remember guys you keep your server healthy your support tickets and tendency of your customer to bug you with support ticket also lowers to like 2 - 5 tickets a month (thus further lowering your running cost, baah why do i give out my business secret, but a lesson one must learn hopefully it comes in handy to many other hosts).

Hmm bunny should start writing a hosting book on how to run a hosting business (although it will be only 1 page book).

PS: i never seen load of 4.00 on server yet staying contantly for longer than 1 min. Sometimes it does hit 7 when things are updating or getting backed up or some customer sending love letters in bulk(in which cause their account gets suspendend by evil bunny).

I did have a talk with Jose (TMS) about my worry of constant 0.67 - 1.0 load and asked if he would suggest and upgrade, he said that load is nothing too much to worry about, so i have been holding back on upgrade for over a month now.. and i grow restless and i browse daily wht to find out the next best hardware upgrade from TMS itself , as i do trust TailormadeServers for they been good.

Oh boy i hope Hostgator doesn't end up like dreamhost

i have a plan with host gator and there is few other people on it.

I normaly go by the rule for shared hosting of.

1 per a Physical CPU us Okie, above and up to 2 per a Physical CPU is pushing it, and any higher needs a upgrade.

For example a Core 2 DUO 2 would be fine, 4 would be high/max, however it really depends where the load comes from, real CPU time or I/O wait time.
    ZXPlay
    Premium Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Media Streaming Servers
    Dedicated Resources | EU Based
    www.zxplay.co.uk

hmm, hostgator has been very good so far. I personally haven't experienced any load issues yet. I hope they find the culprit who is causing these overloads and boot him/her out.

I have been with Hostgator for several months now without issue. Send an email to [email protected] or raise a ticket to get things done REAL quickly. Otherwaise you can use the chat for everyday questions.

Can't fault them so far. Way better than my previous hosting companies .... which were frankly awfull.

I personally do not consider overselling as a problem unless it causes bad service to your customers. Take for example hostgator, most users are happy with this host. Occasional problems can happen even with hosts that do not oversell. It is simply the nature of the business when you have to deal with technology.
    Server Management + Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    Outsourced Support
    | ManageAndSupport.com.

**We will monitor and harden your server + provide direct support to your hosting customers.**

But come on, there's plain and simple math involved.

A 100mbps connection will be able to push ~30TB/month, so how come they can offer "unlimited" bandwidth on a single shared hosting plan?

I mean, it can be "unmetered", but not "unlimited" as there is a 30Tb/mo cap per server (because of the NIC speed). So from my personal point of view, offering "unlimited" bandwidth is in fact being a liar.

I also wanted to prove this to a customer of mine, so I signed up with a very well known -and respected- shared hosting provider that offered insane amounts of disk space (won't tell which one as I'm not here to bash) and we got several accounts from them. We then started uploading files that we know would fill up the disk pretty quick and also started to download those files from several servers in both coasts, as we were trying to use at least 50% of the advertised bandwidth. The result: the provider closed all our accounts claiming that our accounts were too resource-intensive, even though there weren't any database driven scripts nor dynamic content. At the end of the day, the provider just realized that as we were really using bandwidth and disk space, our accounts weren't leaving any profit for them, as they would have to get most customers out of the servers we were using just to keep our accounts running.

Just my 2c.
    Fabio A. Calderon
    C.E.O.
    SEATi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast