Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696

    Leaseweb, it had to be coming

    In January I ordered a server with them, knowing that their support isn't the "best". The server info ended in spam folder, but that isn't their fault I guess. They advertise that every server comes with 2 IPs, however you only get 1. Until you request that 2nd IP. However, when you call them out of working hours, they tell you that you have to pay 135 euro (about 200 USD), great I will wait for tomorrow then. So the day after I called them again. The person I talked with, was very friendly and started to work on it. About 5 hours later I received an email with the second IP information. I added it, but it didn't get assigned. I rebooted the server etc. Still no 2nd IP. It was already 'after working hours' so I had to wait again, because I wasn't going to pay 200$ for an IP. The day after the guy on the phone tells me they assigned me an IP that was already assigned to another customer (lol)..... Ok, so I asked him if I could get a different IP than I was supposed to get. (Now I had to fix my DNS settings also, but o well....). The new IP info arrived in my inbox about 80 minutes after the call this time. After rebooting the server everything ran flawlessly. I manage my own servers, so I didn't contact their support again.

    On the 21st of february, I called their administration about cancelling the server (they had a new offer, which suited me better & because I only wanted a fast network for this server, I didn't care about their support), I was told that if I submitted their cancellation form the same day or the day after, It would be taken care of before the end of the month. So I filled it in and sent it to them on the day after (22 february). Today I called their administration to check if everything went ok (I didn't want to order the new server & pay the old one at the same time). I was told: No, it isn't cancelled. She checked that my email was there & indeed it was sent to them. She then asked me if I could wait a minute, so she could ask someone else what to do. She told me that she would assign me to a sales guy, who would be able to tell me more about it. He told me that the cancellation has to be done X days in advance. Which I did, then he said: It has to be done a month up front. I asked him why I was told that it would be cancelled on the 22 of february, but now I had to cancel it the 1st of february. He said it was a mistake. There was "nothing" he could do (or wanted to do). I don't have the time do anything about it, so I'll let it be and just pay for another crappy month.

    Great, now I'm fed up another month with their server. What if I didn't call them today? I would have had 2 servers with them & they would have, the only thing they want: Money.

    If you are looking for a Dutch server, please read all the leaseweb topics on these forums twice, or be prepared for this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,183
    Another bad review about Leaseweb, mhm.
    Well nice for sharing it with us, but haven't you signed a contract that mentioned aything about the cancellation of a server?
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    » Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,965
    Wow, 1 month advance cancellation policy?

    They should review carefully their policy :-)


    Net
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  4. #4
    Actually, Hetzner also has this same policy. Basically what they say is that there is a 1 month termination period. So for example if you cancel on 22 February you would have the server till 1-st of April.

    I am sure leaseweb had this somewhere in the terms.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    Wow, 1 month advance cancellation policy?

    They should review carefully their policy :-)


    Net
    RapidSwitch requires 30+ days.

    This Agreement shall come into effect upon the date of this Agreement and, subject to the provisions of this Agreement shall continue in force for an initial term of 1 month from the date the Services are available to the Client and indefinitely after that until terminated by either party giving not less than 30 days prior written notice to expire on or after the expiry date of the initial term.

    DISTANCE SELLING REGULATIONS

    Under Regulation 10 of The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000, the Client may have the right to cancel this Agreement for seven working days after the day after this Agreement has been concluded. However, it is agreed between RapidSwitch and the Client that the Services may commence before the end of that cancellation period, and then the Client will lose the right to cancel from the date that RapidSwitch provides the Client with the access details of the Services.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696
    Well the problem is, their own administration staff told me that it was fine. And let's say the sales guy was a 'little' rude.

    Basically he didn't want to admit that it was their mistake and he just broke the connection.

    He even said that their '1 month advance cancellation policy' is very special, because other hosts require it 2 or even 3 months in advance (according to him).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    It seems to me that this is blown out of proportion. Is every rude employee reason for a wht topic? If you feel offended, so be it. That is your right. But is that a reason to start a thread on a public forum, indexed in search engines? It even isn't a reason to warn potential customers. As if this doesn't happen with other companies

    I had some dreadful experience with some US providers, that everybody else is cheering about. I also had a bakery that sold me old bread. <censor> happens.
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696
    So, If I tell you that your server will be cancelled as you requested, but the day it should be cancelled, you are told that it isn't being cancelled. You will accept that and just pay another month?

    I don't.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Rob View Post
    So, If I tell you that your server will be cancelled as you requested, but the day it should be cancelled, you are told that it isn't being cancelled. You will accept that and just pay another month?

    I don't.
    Perhaps you shouldn't. But it seems you didn't bother to read the terms you signed up for either and just relied on what one person told you.

    Leaseweb lets you sign a pile of papers before you purchase. They have a meaning. If you don't want that, you don't sign up.

    When I read "Leaseweb, it had to be coming" it just means you knew what you were to expect. So what is the topic about then?
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696
    Indeed I expected troubles, but I didn't expect to find them this fast .
    They sent me a contract for a 1 year contract, not the month to month I should have received.

    Manon Bakker, the administration employee who I was calling with when I ordered, said it wasn't a month up front.... because it was a month to month contract and not the usual year contract, because it was an express server.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    It is not my goal to pursue this to a 'who is right and who is not'. If they made a mistake to send you the wrong contract, you should have pointed that out and they should have sent you another one.

    My point is, why ordering if you were unsure of getting the product you want upfront. And if you do, why complaining about it over here afterwards?
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696
    Eh? I ordered a server with 500GB bandwidth, the week after that they have the same server with 2000GB bandwidth for the same price. So, I wanted to switch. I was told that this was ok, but the day it should happen, I am told that it isn't going to happen and that I still have to pay my old server. If I didn't call them yesterday I would be paying twice to them. Which I don't want, and now having called them, they don't even deserve. Have you ever told a customer to "live with it" ? That is what I was told, before the phoneconnection was broken.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Rob View Post
    Eh? I ordered a server with 500GB bandwidth, the week after that they have the same server with 2000GB bandwidth for the same price. So, I wanted to switch. I was told that this was ok, but the day it should happen, I am told that it isn't going to happen and that I still have to pay my old server. If I didn't call them yesterday I would be paying twice to them. Which I don't want, and now having called them, they don't even deserve. Have you ever told a customer to "live with it" ? That is what I was told, before the phoneconnection was broken.
    Like I said:
    It is not my goal to pursue this to a 'who is right and who is not'.
    I have never experienced LW to accept a cancellation of a prior order other than in writing (by fax eg). So I cannot acknowledge or deny that this has happened. As far as I know, an order is an order with LW.

    They usually are strict, but if you read the stuff they hand out to you, you know what is coming. I don't want to promote them in any way, since they are competition (more or less ), but I have never experienced an unexpected move in our contact with them.
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    387
    Such postings do not help your image, or Caro.net's image.

    Also note that all annoyed/angry customers will come to post, but only a small fraction of satisfied customers will post some positive mention.

    We are Leaseweb's colocation client for over 4 years with monthly invoicing cost equal to value of a BMW 3 series. Certainly there are errors occasionally however they are solved efficiently. Leaseweb is not a 'short term' provider for 1 month in/out, it is a long term, financially stable company which is the kind of situation serious customers are interested in.

    Probably if some staff was rude, there must have been a reason for it. Again, you complaining about a <100 EUR server, when you yourself are CARO.NET, is not good for your own business. You should not do such things in the future.
    EuroVPS - Europe's Fully Managed Hosting
    Established 2004 - The European Hosting Authority

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696
    Eh,
    -So they will only be 'kind' for their bigger clients, because that's where they get their money. If that's their business plan, so be it.
    -I may not post my experience with a European host, because I am an employee for a business in the US? That sounds great, So if a reseller has an issue, they may not post their bad experience because it would ruin their reputation?
    -It was actually 121 euros incl. VAT, now this isn't your 'BMW 3 invoice', however this server was for private usage and why should I pay 500 euros per month for a server that I only use for testing & hosting my own images. I only used 10% of it's hardware resources, what's the point in having a dual harpertown with 32 GB ram, 4TB of space and 100mbps unmetered for 1000 euro when I don't need it.
    -
    Probably if some staff was rude, there must have been a reason for it.
    I didn't bring in enough money for them?

    I have a lot of servers, plenty in the US and a few in Europe and I never had an issue with a host that wasn't solved by a simple ticket, email or phonecall. They always tried to come to a solution in a kind & friendly way, instead Leaseweb just reacts rude. Yes, I am the worst customer you can get I guess.
    Last edited by Robert vd Boorn; 03-02-2008 at 02:13 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Den Helder, Holland
    Posts
    765
    So you say just because he pays below 100 Euro a month, he shall shut up ?

    You sir, you should shut up.

    For us with a normal income, 100 Euro a month is much.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroVPS View Post
    Also note that all annoyed/angry customers will come to post, but only a small fraction of satisfied customers will post some positive mention.
    I have posted a positive review for every host that was good to me. It has been very rare that I posted a negative topic about a host.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjørn-Erik Hansen View Post
    For us with a normal income, 100 Euro a month is much.
    I don't expect a lot for the price. I went with them, because I could manage my own and I knew that once it would be running, I wouldn't need their support. However, out of the 3 times that I did require their support (the 2nd IP, the first cancellation & the second cancellation), all 3 of them were terrible (1st: an IP that was already assigned, 2nd: the wrong information about their cancellation process, 3rd: A rude reply and not willing to admit their mistake).

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,574
    So how much does a BMW M3 cost?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,889
    There is a valid complaint. Being given incorrect information, which directly costs someone money, and being treated rudely by an employee should not happen. Sure, you may not see it as a major issue, but it gives information to the general public, those who have not dealt with LeaseWeb as to how they operate. Now people know that no matter what they tell you, always go by their one month cancellation policy. To me, stating that this should not have been posted or is simply the OPs fault is simply ridiculous...

    Note: I don't see how you see the "being told by one person" to be insignificant. It is very frequent that people get deals outside the terms on the site or be allowed to bypass parts of the ToS. That is not something that abnormal, so there is nothing suspicious about being told the month requirement for cancellation wouldn't be in effect for a specific case. When someone is told something, even if it is completely wrong, the company should do it's best to stand by it's word, that is just my opinion on the matter.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 03-02-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    So how much does a BMW M3 cost?
    Probably 10 - 20 $ if you try to find it in some toy store, try ebay maybe ?

  21. #21
    Yeah, this is damaging for Caro.net. You're ruining the company reputation with you personal problems/opinions.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    I have some symphony with the OP.
    If it had been me, Id have spoken to them on the phone and waited on hold until you had an email saying they were going to cancel the server and not charge you by a certain date, i.e. not take their word for it.

    I think leaseweb acept paypal, if you'd used that you could have not sent the payment or blocked it easily.

    Leaseweb have some great price points but their service speaks for itself.

    if 500GB was enough bandwidth for you when you ordered the server, was it reallt worth moving it for another 1500?
    Last edited by djorgensen; 03-02-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: corrected error

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696
    ~I was using 219GB in my first 2 weeks, which makes me go into 'secure' mode. (I hosted some video files from games on it)
    ~They only do direct debit for Dutch customers. Which was auto-charged from my bank and I don't want to go true that debit recharge process
    ~
    If it had been me, Id have spoken to them on the phone and waited on hold until you had an email saying they were going to refund you by a certain date.
    What did you mean with that? I never asked for a refund, they didn't even want to upgrade my package or switch servers. It was a MUST that I would cancel my old server and reorder a new one, they didn't even want to do a HD swap or anything related.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    Asking for a HD swap is asking for a lot i think. You're making work for them on an already decent deal.

    Most customers would stick stuff on a server and make it hard for themselves to just change it. Making it easy for you to drop a server and move to another one really isnt good business. Ok charging for someone you dont want isnt either lol

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,523
    From your website: www.caro.net :

    "CaroNet owns and operates three state-of-the-art datacenters offering complete redundancy in power, HVAC, fire suppression, network connectivity, and security."

    Why would you rent servers from Leaseweb ? Since you own and operate 3 DCs ?
    Where are the 3 datacenters you own and operating located?

    Also from your website:

    "CaroNet has over 24,000 sq. ft. of hosting space available for your business. Each co-location cage is built to suit the needs of each customer individually."
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 03-02-2008 at 10:36 PM.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    Asking for a HD swap is asking for a lot i think. You're making work for them on an already decent deal.

    Most customers would stick stuff on a server and make it hard for themselves to just change it. Making it easy for you to drop a server and move to another one really isnt good business. Ok charging for someone you dont want isnt either lol
    Well, there are MANY, MANY hosts that are willing to do such things to be a convenience to their paying customers...
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,430
    You got things wrong. You can cancel anytime you feel like, but the 30 day advance notification is required only when you prepay.

    Say you prepay for a year and then cancel out after the 3rd month. You will be paying for the 4th month too and then get a refund on the remaining.

    Well, I have 2 servers with them and I beginning to fear the worst. Until today I haven't contacted LeaseWeb's support for ANY thing except the additional IP request which was completed within 20 mins. I manage everything and their hardware is great!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,574
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    From your website: www.caro.net :

    "CaroNet owns and operates three state-of-the-art datacenters offering complete redundancy in power, HVAC, fire suppression, network connectivity, and security."

    Why would you rent servers from Leaseweb ? Since you own and operate 3 DCs ?
    Where are the 3 datacenters you own and operating located?

    Also from your website:

    "CaroNet has over 24,000 sq. ft. of hosting space available for your business. Each co-location cage is built to suit the needs of each customer individually."
    Rob owns nothing. Rob is an employee and rented the server for private usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Rob View Post
    -I may not post my experience with a European host, because I am an employee for a business in the US?

    -It was actually 121 euros incl. VAT, now this isn't your 'BMW 3 invoice', however this server was for private usage and why should I pay 500 euros per month for a server that I only use for testing & hosting my own images.


    I have a lot of servers, plenty in the US and a few in Europe and I never had an issue with a host that wasn't solved by a simple ticket, email or phonecall. They always tried to come to a solution in a kind & friendly way, instead Leaseweb just reacts rude.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    3,696
    Exactly,

    I must have said it atleast once, the server was for private usage, I live in the Netherlands, I have multiple US servers so I just wanted something close to me for fast uploading/sharing of files. If I want to share a video or anything for people in the US I could take any server that I own, but I wanted something with atleast 2MBps to Europe (with a single connection and not requiring multiple download connections to accomplish that speed).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •