resellerzoom server performance issues

Today is the second day and all my sites are down.

I have a reseller account from Resellerzoom.com on (Clinton server).

my clients are so mad and I really don't know what to do. I told my clients yesterday that we will fix the problem in some hours as I've been told by the resellerzoom support,

today I still calm them down they don't even trust me anymore.

two days is a long long time for a server to be unstable and now some of my clients are leaving me.

please if anyone tell me what should I do in this situation?

Are you on their budget, failover or advanced plan?

What have RZ said about what the issue is related to? What is causing it? Have they given you an ETA?

I am on advanced plan.

they told me that they are performing a raid sync which is affecting server performance, but should complete soon

this was yesterday and server still down.

and I don't know what do you mean by ETA?

thanks for reply.

ETA = estimated time of arrival/estimated time for accomplishment

2 days is a lot of time. I get the feeling that something else must have gone wrong.

raid syncs should never affect performance unless it's software raid, which is worthless anyways.

We had a server drive fail a few months back - hotswapped it and rebuilt the 400 GB drive in 3 hours with -0- impact on performance. Just something the think about.

Regards,

In their forum (which you can access if you are a client ) under Network Status they were giving updates about the Raid process, it was completed a couple of hours ago and took under 24 hours.

If you are still experiencing problems I should contact support because it should be fine again.

the server is up now

24 hours is too long, I really faced a difficult times with my customers.

Resellerzoom.com is a good company I never face problem like this before but all I ask is to tell us before any updates or upgrades especially when they expecting anything like this.

thank you so much

It's good to see that you're back in business
    It might be a hardware issue which won't happen often.
    Cheers.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    raid syncs should never affect performance unless it's software raid, which is worthless anyways.

We had a server drive fail a few months back - hotswapped it and rebuilt the 400 GB drive in 3 hours with -0- impact on performance. Just something the think about.

Regards,
    During any resync there is going to be performance issues, whether it is hardware or software RAID. The hardware RAID will still cause a performance decrease in disk i/o, however the software RAID will cause it more in CPU.

We had a 500GB RAID rebuilt in a 2 hours with software RAID and only 30-40% of one CPU core. You usually can rebuild faster with software since you have much more CPU power in a software RAID from my experience. (We had an 8-core system)

Either way though, the RAID sync should not have caused complete downtime for 2 days...it should have just slowed down the system for a few hours.

There must have been another issue they were running into.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    During any resync there is going to be performance issues, whether it is hardware or software RAID. The hardware RAID will still cause a performance decrease in disk i/o, however the software RAID will cause it more in CPU.

We had a 500GB RAID rebuilt in a 2 hours with software RAID and only 30-40% of one CPU core. You usually can rebuild faster with software since you have much more CPU power in a software RAID from my experience. (We had an 8-core system)

Either way though, the RAID sync should not have caused complete downtime for 2 days...it should have just slowed down the system for a few hours.

With good raid controllers there are/can be zero performance issues. I watched the access time - there was literally zero impact to the OS performance. (PERC 5) CPU was idle(~1-2%) when not serving pages.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    With good raid controllers there are/can be zero performance issues. I watched the access time - there was literally zero impact to the OS performance. (PERC 5) CPU was idle(~1-2%) when not serving pages.

Regards,
    It also depends on the raid level you're running. If you're running raid-5 it is far more noticable than someone running raid-10. In some cases depending on the raid level it'll be faster in some operations when degraded for example raid-1 on writes.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

It's really a shame to hear about such downtime. Less than a year ago, RZ had a tip top reputation for speedy support, stellar uptime and if there was ever a complaint posted on WHT about RZ, they would respond to it within hours.

Things certainly can change fast in the hosting industry.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Quote Originally Posted by jubranz View Post
    but all I ask is to tell us before any updates or upgrades especially when they expecting anything like this.
    I don't think they were expecting this: server got inaccessible and had to be rebooted after which the RAID drives were being synced.

That is one of the main reasons I left. If you aren't happy they aren't going to change so my recomendation is to look elsewhere. There is a point at which hosting can get too cheap in my oppinion. They offer too much in resources for the advanced and that degrades there service if I remember right the advanced is just a larger budget plan.

yea resellerzoom is good, but they always do stuff without informing you about it, thats the one thing that pisses me off about them. They've disabled shell access without informing me about it....for no reason!. In a previous account, someone altered my php file which completely rendered my page differently....once again without informing me. You also have to sometime follow up with a chat if you want your emails answered.

If I'm not wrong they had a similar issued the past year (2 days to resync raid)
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Before 1 year about i have the same when i was on RZ. I was down for about 40 hours and they don't send any information about what they will do, before or after. And this is not good because you don't know what is wrong
    Shared | Reseller Hosting | WHMSonic Shoutcast
    http://www.urlhosts.net

I have had nothing but problems with both of my RZ accounts the last week or so and also experienced problems late last year. Support really has gone downhill. I had most of the sites on one account hacked, had to spend all last weekend restoring and repairing sites as RZ support is no help. Live chat support used to be very good, they would fix a problem while you're still on chat, now they simply say they will open a ticket. Tickets can take forever to be replied to and then they just ask for more information or give a standard reply. I'm seriously considering moving as they aren't meeting my needs anymore.

Based on the good reviews people had months ago I also got an advanced plan from resellerzoom. I am getting sick and tired of the downtimes: pages loding with a white page and nothing else, not loading at all, 500 errors, EACH DAY. I have clients who moan already, I have my network of sites that suffer from this. I am tired of moving to other resellers (had another nice "story" with qualityhostonline). And now I think the only eay to actualy be able to run some sites is to get out of this resellerzoom crap and move elsewhere.

We also had the 1 day dowtime (the RAID thinggy) and I have started emailing them DAILY to tell them how awful the sites work. And I get a nice response: the server is now OK, you should face no more problems. That's till 2-3 hours pass and my pages don't load again.

Same clinton server that seems to be of less quality we'd love.

Quote Originally Posted by dojo View Post
    Based on the good reviews people had months ago I also got an advanced plan from resellerzoom. I am getting sick and tired of the downtimes: pages loding with a white page and nothing else, not loading at all, 500 errors, EACH DAY. I have clients who moan already, I have my network of sites that suffer from this. I am tired of moving to other resellers (had another nice "story" with qualityhostonline). And now I think the only eay to actualy be able to run some sites is to get out of this resellerzoom crap and move elsewhere.

We also had the 1 day dowtime (the RAID thinggy) and I have started emailing them DAILY to tell them how awful the sites work. And I get a nice response: the server is now OK, you should face no more problems. That's till 2-3 hours pass and my pages don't load again.

Same clinton server that seems to be of less quality we'd love.
    Why not give Innohosting a shot?

New staff

We also faced massive downtimes on their jupiter server a few weeks ago. They posted a "malfunctioning" drive as the reason.

But instead of having a backup drive ready they messed around for hours with that rotten drive leaving their customers in the rain.

Apart from that incident we never had any problems with reseller zoom.

Probably they simply need more competent tech staff who knows how to replace faulty gear fast.

Clients who want solid uptime should better set up their own automated failover network and maintain their own backup server.

Quote Originally Posted by urlhosts View Post
    Before 1 year about i have the same when i was on RZ. I was down for about 40 hours and they don't send any information about what they will do, before or after. And this is not good because you don't know what is wrong
    It's always good when the host notify you about the maintenance and send you updates about the process but as far I understood it's not always possible to nitify everybody.

Maybe just try to contact them and ask them to notify you and other customers in future.

Resellerzoom is the worst I have been to. Let me tell you the pains I have been through in this worst host:

1. They decreased my number of domains hosted in their reseller package which the account has unlimited acounts.
    2. Theres an error in the webserver where an error log file is created in all the domains, the biggest file was 259MB and I was not aware of the files created until the scripts stop writing into the database. The error log files was not because of errors in scripts but in the webserver.

3. You have to wait for about 12-24 hours for a support response and the worst part is the support staffs know nothing about hosting. You will see a lot of weird names of their staffs and most of them don't know english.
    4. They change the server IPs twice a year which you will have a lot of problems once they do this
    5. Their uptime is only 90%(search WHT for this) and once the server is down, you just pray for the best. My files were lost due to their hard disk failure and they said they can't do anything about it.
    6. The owner has a bad record and black listed in US. SOme of you would have heard of this. So be prepared that your hosting account with them is gone in one night.
    7. I got charged $25 just for asking help in their live help. I was helpless because their support staffs didn't respond after 12 hours after submitting my emergency trouble ticket.
    8. Their support staffs' responds are worst than Microsoft's Manual Handbook.
    9. They increase their price after a few years and trust me, you will have big trouble when this happens. They don't have price freeze guarantee.
    10 more but I don't have the time now. Trust me, resellerzoom was the worst decision in my life..

more than 1 year

briansc,

your words read like a different story on a different host.

Except for that one weekend full of downtimes they had been given us a good stable performance.

Friendly support fixed and help if needed and we did not have to reduce the amount of domains after the last price increase.

where should I find a trusted and stable reseller account?

I'll be thankful if you recommend anything to me please!

where should I find a trusted and stable reseller account?

I'll be thankful if you recommend anything to me please!

You can only sleep well with your own custom built automated failover solution. Hosts will never be stable and reliable.

Enjoy those moments as long as they do a good job, but do not expect that to last forever. Once you have two good hosts, it`s time to look for a third one.

Once you have three, only some registerfly can give you stress :-)

What are your needs ?

1. They decreased my number of domains hosted in their reseller package which the account has unlimited acounts.
    You mean that the account you bought came with the ability to host unlimited domains, and it was later downgraded to allow only a limited number of domains? Were you notified of this change?

5. Their uptime is only 90%
    One server may have a bad month. It is rather doubtful that their servers would routinely have 90% uptime, and they would still have customers.

7. I got charged $25 just for asking help in their live help.
    Live chat is meant only for customers using certain packages. I do understand the predicament you were in, and that the service you were getting was not up to the standards you required, and that the charge may arguably be considered too high, but the charge can't be a surprise, especially when they clearly state: "Budget resellers who violate this policy may result in a $25 charge per chat.". It was you who assumed that risk.

They don't have price freeze guarantee.
    That should be of no real surprise. Prices do go up. It's what happens in real life. In any case, a price freeze guarantee is not a requirement to be in business. It's something that a company may offer or not.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 03-20-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Staw away from RZ

Quote Originally Posted by kadk View Post
    I have had nothing but problems with both of my RZ accounts the last week or so and also experienced problems late last year. Support really has gone downhill. I had most of the sites on one account hacked, had to spend all last weekend restoring and repairing sites as RZ support is no help. Live chat support used to be very good, they would fix a problem while you're still on chat, now they simply say they will open a ticket. Tickets can take forever to be replied to and then they just ask for more information or give a standard reply. I'm seriously considering moving as they aren't meeting my needs anymore.
    I agree with this poster's criticisms of RZ 100%. Support and reliability have gone down exponentially in the past few months. I have reached my breaking point with them on at least 3-4 occasions over the past few weeks. I keep going back on my decision to leave them because I feared that moving to another host would be a huge hassle. Now I have no choice but to leave because of all the downtime and aggravation I've experienced lately.

I now have no apprehension about leaving them because I know that I will receive better support elsewhere. You would have to really try in order to provide shoddier service than RZ. The sad things is, I have received great service from them before, so I know they're capable of it. They just really don't seem to care about their customers anymore.

Ive got to agree with Karl here - there is NO reason to have performance degradation during a RAID rebuild. Just use good quality hardware raid, dont overload your servers - and you will never have an issue. We replace at least 1-2 drives a day across our fleet. We have RAID arrays being rebuilt ALL the time on the fly - and I have never seen a performance issue and frankly, a customer has never even noticed.

As for software raid - it is not a viable raid solution for production hosting environments IMO - get good quality hardware with top notch RAID systems and let the RAID cards do what they are supposed to do -

the server is up now

24 hours is too long, I really faced a difficult times with my customers.

Resellerzoom.com is a good company I never face problem like this before but all I ask is to tell us before any updates or upgrades especially when they expecting anything like this.

thank you so much
    Than I think the subject title of 2 days (48 hours) is far from accurate wouldn't you say? I did check to confirm this and it was about 24 hours from start to finish for the raid initialization to finish after a hard reboot. These things can take time to finish and it can cause very frequent load spikes which depending on your connection can cause browser time outs. From reading our forum thread on this I thought we did a very good job in updating you on the progress of it throughout the day/night.

Before this one incident would you not agree the Clinton server has performed flawlessly?
    IO ZOOM - 100% SSD VPS Hosting
    Pure SSD / Raid 10 / Free DDoS Protection / KVM Virtualization
    Datacenter Locations in Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami
    www.ioZoom.com / sales[at]iozoom.com

That's exactly what happened here in this case. We did not experience 2 days of downtime as the OP suggested on the server, just slower than normal performance.

Quote Originally Posted by avi123 View Post
    They've disabled shell access without informing me about it....for no reason!.
    We definitely did not temporarily disable it for no reason. At that time there was a kernel root exploit so we disabled it for precautionary measures while upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by urlhosts View Post
    Can you provide a ticket number on this to confirm? I don't recall any of our servers having 40 hours downtime and if we did and didn't provide any updates or notices? It just doesn't add up... I just want to check on the accuracy of this statement if you don't mind.

I've changed the thread title to be more general, since there are discepancies regarding amount of time and actual nature of service issues.

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    I've changed the thread title to be more general, since there are discepancies regarding amount of time and actual nature of service issues.
    if so, make the changing to "resellerzoom down for more than 24 hours".

never be sympathetic with them, Be NEUTRAL !

Dude, relax...

So the server went down, so you had bad service, so you don't feel you had your issues resolved in a satisfactory manner..

You can either continue on with the company, or leave. Nobody likes to leave a service unless they have to, so you have to ask yourself if you think it is neccessary for you to move.

If you think you can come to terms with what happened and that RZ can accomodate you and your needs in the future, then maybe you will want to stay.

If you think you're in for more of the same, and that the other posters on here that complain about RZ have a point, then maybe you'll want to leave.

In this consumer society, we vote with our money. The good thing is you can vote as many times and as often as you like, as long as you have the cash...spending money on bad service just says to people that it is okay to provide you with bad service.