Hosting recommendation needed ...

I am looking to see what would be required to setup a host that will not restrict outbound emails ? My current host (Hostgator) limits outbound emails to 500 per day which wont do. No spam concerns here, actually looking at trying to make a go of a low cost autoresponder site. Anyone have any recommendations ?

do you have any other requirements? most shared hosting companies dont restrict. (edited out the self promotion - Boon Chuan)
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 02-29-2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Edited the Self Promotion

If you have the technical knowlege you would probably be better served with an unmanaged VPS as you would control the configuration of the mail server. You could also probably use a basic managed VPS to achieve the same thing but don't make the mistake of thinking a VPS is just a big shared hosting account, think of it as a small dedicated server
    - WireSix - Dedicated Servers, Custom Configurations, Colocation - Celebrating 5 years!

Other requriements :
    Server requirements for AlstraSoft Autoresponder Pro

1.) Catch-all email
    2.) POP3 access to email accounts
    3.) MySQL (version 3.23 or higher)
    4.) MYSQL database
    5.) PHP (version 4.2.3 or higher)
    6.) Crontab

As for technical knowledge ... well its not 0 but I am a relative noob at all of this os I am not sure a VPS will work for me just yet.

vps are good, but vps usually have a higher price tag and lower bandwidth allotment per month.

but your requirements are pretty much standard on any good shared hosting company. just find one that is flexible and friendly. if you have one that can adjust a shared hosting to fit your requirements it might be better since your technical knowledge is on the lower end of the scale.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

Cpanel provides VPS licenses and some providers may resell or install them for you.
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288

Quote Originally Posted by hermetek View Post
    Cpanel provides VPS licenses and some providers may resell or install them for you.
    ... not sure what that has to do with it.

i think he was just trying to say that even if you get a vps you can get cpanel and you wouldnt need to know much about controlling a vps after that point. still not very cost effective.

... If his provider installed Cpanel/WHM on the box for him, it may make it a bit easier for him to manage.

$20/mo VPS + $10/mo CP-VPS license (from what I've seen, I don't deal with Cpanel much and those prices may be wrong)... ~$30/mo isn't too bad to get him started.

i like to believe most 20 dollar vps plans do not have the ram requirements to run cpanel... and even if they do, its just enough to run it. cpanel prices range from 7 bucks to 15 dollars a month depending on the hosting company

I can recommend Hostgator. They are reliable and their service is perfect. I also have had some hosting accounts at smaller hosting companies.

500 per day is probably too less. If you are satisfied with the other aspects of hostgator, you can consider shifting the emails to some third party like GoogleApps.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Quote Originally Posted by supkoy View Post
    I can recommend Hostgator. They are reliable and their service is perfect. I also have had some hosting accounts at smaller hosting companies.
    Thats where I am now and they are telling me that I will be limited to 500 outbound emails a day which wont do ... if I successfully attract autoresponder clients

Quote Originally Posted by Merk13 View Post
    Thats where I am now and they are telling me that I will be limited to 500 outbound emails a day which wont do ... if I successfully attract autoresponder clients

Your information is wrong.

The limit on sending emails on Host Gator is 500 emails per hour not per day
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato

Quote Originally Posted by Keith W View Post
    Your information is wrong.

The limit on sending emails on Host Gator is 500 emails per hour not per day
    I hate damned call centers !!! So is this a low/med/high rate based on what other hosts allow in shared accounts ?

500 is a reasonable limit and I would hazard a guess that it would suit most users on a shared account.
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato