Hosting Recommendation - Blog + Developer Mashup Custom Code

I'm looking for a recommendation for a shared host and I have a little bit of a different situation than most.

I run a wordpress blog with minor traffic (50 visitors a day, 200-300 is a huge day because I was listed on a popular industry site or something..). The odd part, is that I track the top ecommerce sites, and it's basically a mashup of a few different webservices, news feeds, plus my own content. Because of this custom code, my site is exceeding HostIcan's cpu limit because a page can take about 300-600ms to generate. It's not cpu intensive, but the page takes longer than normal because it has a couple http requeststo other servers, pull back xml payloads, parse and then present page. Not rocket science, but I can be the only one on my site and bring it down in a few dozen clicks. (bring down = visitors get forwarded to a hostican cpu overconsumption page for a few minutes)

So I need to find a host with great customer service that is responsive and technical, about 750 meg storage, 5 gig transfer, flexible on cpu usage, and decent support of php/mysql options/libs.

I don't want an extremely oversold environment that will cause me headaches in 3 months, but getting a VPS at this point is extreme.(at least for me it is)

have you looked at any hosts? maybe if you list a couple that you were interested some of us can give our two cents?
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

There are enough hosts where you can put your site at, just do not look for the big oversellers but rather to the smaller more personal hosting businesses around, they will be able to help you on a more personal level and you won't run into ridiculous limitations to quickly.

I am sure you will find a good host if you take a good look around and check some reviews here and there.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    There are enough hosts where you can put your site at, just do not look for the big oversellers but rather to the smaller more personal hosting businesses around, they will be able to help you on a more personal level and you won't run into ridiculous limitations to quickly.

I am sure you will find a good host if you take a good look around and check some reviews here and there.
    thats some sound advice!
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

I've been looking at asmallorange and medialayer.

Medialayer has had good comments here and have been fast to respond with well thought out responses in their forum. It concerns me a bit that they only accept paypal and only support through email.

Although my current host provides email, voice, and livechat and that hasn't done anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mjulson View Post

Although my current host provides email, voice, and livechat and that hasn't done anything for me.
    So you see that it doesn't matter how you get support, as long you get quality support and fast responses.

I am not sure what you have against paypal though, its a good way to pay the bills. But maybe you should contact support and see if they have other means of payment available.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

If you have scripts which require a time to create via external http request check out MediaLayer, their designed specificly for aplication hosting and should have no problem with excess CPU usuage while creating a page with the time perod of a few ms, even Seconds.

Good Luck.
    ZXPlay
    Premium Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Media Streaming Servers
    Dedicated Resources | EU Based
    www.zxplay.co.uk

bout 750 meg storage, 5 gig transfer, flexible on cpu usage, and decent support of php/mysql options/libs.
    At 5GB of transfer per month, your site is very unlikely to be a real problem, so it looks to me like all you need is a host that doesn't have Hostican-like policies/suspension system. Bluehost and Hostmonster use that, so you can put them off your list, if they ever were on it.

All you really need to do is focus on the host's track record. Don't try to save $3 or something like that. As soon as you encounter performance issues or downtime you will be sorry you did. The time lost over it communicating with the host, and the aggravation, are not worth it.

There are many good web hosts at WHT. Searching the database will help you to find some of them. I would build a list of 5 - 10 companies, to contact them by e-mail and to ask questions. The answers will help you to see how good is the customer service of each one.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor