Thread: Quality Hosting

Quality Hosting

I am looking for a quality host, with as little downtime as possible, fast speeds, and most importantly good support. I am looking to just start off my web marketing career, and I don't really know much about web hosting. I'm looking for low cost if possible, but I know that quality customer support costs so I can bare that in mind.

Anyway, I don't want to post specification requirements, because I can't really be sure. I'm sure for the first few months I won't even use more than 10 or 15 megs disc space, but I'm sure no plan out there is going to give me a better price for only using that little space. Really, I don't really know what to say, other than that almost any plan will provide me with enough space and bandwidth, so I don't need to worry about it.

Another thing, I don't want to come up with something new, and have to get a new host to do it. I want all the features - unlimited databases (MySQL should be good enough, though no harm with other types as well), support of all the popular scripting languages (PHP, JS, RoR), unlimited domains, sub domains, emailing lists, FTP access accounts (though it's likely only I will use it), etc.

If anyone could just list some hosts, known for their customer service, and speed and reliability of servers, I would appreciate it. It'd be a plus if they're low cost as well.

I've heard of asmallorange.com, and I've heard a couple of mixed things about them. Any others to recommend, or any info on this company?

Medialayer is great and quality really doesn't get much better than them. No ruby on rails though.

You can always start with a smaller plan and then upgrade. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by marisc View Post
    You can always start with a smaller plan and then upgrade. Good luck!
    I agree with this. Start small and upgrade as you go.

You mention web-marketing; Would this include running your own ad-engine software? (Such as OpenX)

i would for sure start with a small package. especially on a host you do not know anything about. this way your commitment is small and you do not have to sweat as much.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I agree with this. Start small and upgrade as you go.

You mention web-marketing; Would this include running your own ad-engine software? (Such as OpenX)
    I don't even know what that is. By web-marketing career, for starting out I was looking at affiliate sites and adsense pages.

I know I should start off small but no one does a package that's 15MB space and maybe 250MB bandwidth (except for maybe a free service).

Anyway, I'm really looking for a list of companies known for being of good quality (in customer service, and server speed/reliability). Other things I believe I got a handle on for right now.

that is some pretty low requirements haha. i think any of the web hosting providers can help you with that.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

Get a list of hosts, send them some pre sales questions and check out their money back guarantee's or any guarantee's of uptime and go from there.

I'd suggest looking in the offers section for an idea of what you can get and hopefully you'll find one that fits.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

You can also call the support numbers and see who answers. Kick the tires on some of the recommended providers.

Totalchoicehosting.com if you are for small plan and superb support. They seem not to allow multidomain hosting. So, if you have several domains and want more space, I advice downtownhost.com

Most host's can help, have a look in the offers forum
    || Host3 UK Web Hosting
    || cPanel Web Hosting

Hi
    You have lot of opportunities for finding a good host as you wish.
    I have three suggestions for you. First don't select any host which allows large disk space and bandwidth for a few $$$.

Second do contact with their live support team and discuss your needs with them. Third try to find reviews about the host which you select.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Keyboard View Post
    I don't even know what that is. By web-marketing career, for starting out I was looking at affiliate sites and adsense pages.

I know I should start off small but no one does a package that's 15MB space and maybe 250MB bandwidth (except for maybe a free service).
    Before doing any major purchases, I suggest researching the field a little more - this goes for the actual advertising/marketing-bit. Learn what different options there are in terms of both advertising networks (there are more and other models than Google AdSense) but also learn some of the tools used to be more successful in your craft.

Anyway, I'm really looking for a list of companies known for being of good quality (in customer service, and server speed/reliability). Other things I believe I got a handle on for right now.
    I have mentioned them before, but I have been (and am) a happy client of Steadfast Networks. They have very good support, network and prices.

Best of luck!

It looks like you need a budged hosting plan. Reading your post I wasn't able to understand anything about software applications you want to use and to find more information about your objectives. As others said find some reviews and find web hosting company which will help you on your projects. That would be smaller start-up web host. If you choose a small one, make sure they use reliable network and stable hardware.

If you decide to go with any of the well-known names in hosting business you don't have to worry about uptime and reliability. I don't know however nothing about the way they do support. I however presume you'll be OK with them.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

In order to give you the best answer I can I would need more information on what you are wanting to do with your hosting as you have been vague.

I understand when trying to do something new it can be difficult to explain what it is exactly you are wanting to do, I'm sure just about any of us would be willing to help you focus your idea/pick a hosting provider with a bit more information.

<<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 02-29-2008 at 06:19 PM.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

What do you consider low-cost? How much are you looking to spend per month/yearly?