Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,156

    Question Decency in advertising?

    Hi,

    I've a very serious question. It is about morality in web hosting business. Do you think that there are unacceptable way of advertising in web hosting? Let me give you an example.

    "Host --- eats up the competition with newly priced plans!"

    ... those plans cost around $5/mo. As you can imagine the ad comes from shared web host.

    Do you think that using a phrase like "eats up the competition" is appropriate as message sent to consumers form a shared hosting company?
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield, UK
    Posts
    1,479
    My personal opinion / view of them is getting too big for their own boots

    I strongly dislike big companies, I much prefer the smaller company that provides personal individual touch

    Geez! I contact my host on a first name basis and vice versa
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    182
    It really comes down to the audience that the host is trying to attract. I've seen a number of hosts go with what might be considered questionable advertising copy to some with the intent of reaching a younger, or "hipper" as they would call it, audience.

    In the end if the message being sent by the host is a turn off, show them by not purchasing. They will see it if enough people decide not to purchase because of the content being put out there.
    -Jay-

    Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    I've never seen an issue with that phrase. It's a bit of tongue in cheek anyway, not to be taken so very seriously.

    If there's something I don't like, is the "leader" thing. There are hosts that could call themselves that, but there are probably thousands of hosts that present themselves as "leader" in the industry, when they're nothing but a common, small-mid size provider. Or worse, the ambiguous "leader since <insert incorporation date>".

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    319
    Hosting, just like a lot of other industries, has become a dog eat dog industry. When it comes to advertising companies do whatever returns the best results (within reason, of course).

    I do not see anything wrong with phrases such as "We eat up the competition". It is a catchy phrase and it grabs your attention.

    I also think that there is a right host for every type of customer. Some people prefer the personalized service offered by smaller companies while others enjoy the cost savings they receive at larger hosts. Now I'm not saying that is what companies of either size offer, I'm just saying that companies of different sizes sometimes offer different things.

    I think some of the smaller hosts should stop worrying about what the "big guys" are doing and just focus on their core business. If you are trying to compete with the larger hosts who hosts hundreds of thousands of domains you are wasting your time and money (In my opinion, anyways).
    Last edited by RackZen; 02-29-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Grammatical Error
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by RackZen View Post
    I think some of the smaller hosts should stop worrying about what the "big guys" are doing and just focus on their core business. If you are trying to compete with the larger hosts who hosts hundreds of thousands of domains you are wasting your time and money (In my opinion, anyways).

    I think you are right the small hosting companies should play on their own part of the business, and lets face it they are tons better as all those corporate companies with customer unfriendly procedures. Or else we could go and use the 'Crush the companies which eat the competition alive' slogan

    To the OP; its just a slogan, and customers who go for these kind of advertising you probably do not want as customer anyways.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,156
    Well, Do you justify any kind of adv message sent to the consumers only because it is "catchy"? The ad desribed above presents a very common shared hosting service... nothing special. It couldn't eat you up only because its priced at $5/mo and it does not provide a prospective customer with any significant advantages...
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Its up to the customers to see they a bunch of liars. Personally i would never do business with them. But isn't that where advertisements are about nowadays, all screaming they are the best. And honestly, how is that possible, I am

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post
    Well, Do you justify any kind of adv message sent to the consumers only because it is "catchy"?
    As long as it is not defamatory, malicious, vulgar, or explicit, then my answer is yes. The point of marketing is to grab the attention of the customer and drive them to the product.

    Catchy slogans like that also do another thing; they create discussions. By you starting this thread about the slogan, you opened up a discussion and in turn will create more exposure for the company who uses it. Most of us here know who the host is, but even if you didn't you can paste the term into Google and find pretty easily.

    Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post
    The ad desribed above presents a very common shared hosting service... nothing special. It couldn't eat you up only because its priced at $5/mo and it does not provide a prospective customer with any significant advantages...
    You know what, you are probably right. But again, that's not the point of marketing.

    It is the job of the consumer to decide who they think offers them the best product or service for their money.
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    There are a lot of web hosting companies nowadays and they and 80% of the caklled themselves "the best". I think that it is taime wasting to argue with them and trying to find truth. I think that every web hosting provider knows why customers love them and pay more attantion on that to provide even more better service.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,179
    I would not be catched by super-slogans ("we are the best", "leader since...", "unbeatable rice", "superior service"). In fact, I an not attracted by ads. If I need info and am too lazy to search WHT - yes, I can press ad and watch.
    It is customer who decides. And as a customer, I do trust WHT, not ads. Yes, there may be ads I like (for example, Hostgator's "will work for beer") and ones I do not like (GoDaddy's girls).
    So, nothing bad in this, provided it doesn't break the law.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post
    Do you think that using a phrase like "eats up the competition" is appropriate as message sent to consumers form a shared hosting company?
    It apparently did its job as you read the ad, you remembered the ad, and you mentioned the ad to other people (indirectly). If someone ever mentions the company to you, most likely the first thing that will come to your mind is that advertisement.

    You may call that negative advertising, but in that case, you weren't the intended target. But it still made you look, and will do the same to the target audience as well.

    Sounds like the marketing team did their work.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213

    *

    Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post

    "Host --- eats up the competition with newly priced plans!"
    In regards to that on my front page it says :
    Quote Originally Posted by a1whs.com
    A1 Web Hosting Solutions, fails to provide following services:

    * 100% Downtime
    * Zero Support
    * Fat Kid on Couch providing support
    * Scary Alligators that eat up competition by overselling
    * Last but not least, reasons that make you say out loud "Go to hell"
    Now see the way i am trying to attract people is probably the wrong way according to yaa, but hey its a new way of saying what you wish to say out loud. Now about advertisements, how decent is it to have an alligator drinking beer ? Whats next an alligator smoking , or using a bong ? Or maybe wait an alligator driving a super fast car and crashing into other hosting companies ?

    There is no limit to advertisements sky is the limit. For example some ad with nude chick with dildo in her hand might be decent for those trying to sell their sex toys, but same would not be decent for some right ??

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Northern Europe.
    Posts
    2,571
    I know which host you refer to. In fact, I was a bit put off by their style in the beginning - it may appeal to some but not quite to me.
    However, I learned they were actually liked by their customers
    - so I ended up opening an account with them.

    One thing is certain: you REMEMBER their site once you've seen it.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •