bandwidth question

Hi again,

Question. We currently have 40 websites hosted on our server but the server is collcated. We want to have the servers in house. Theoretcially how much bandwidth shall we need? Will a T1 will suffice? Right now we average around 100 hits an hour to the various websites.

THanks!

A T1 line will be about 1544 kbps, which would mean 193kB/s. If you're having your servers collocated I'm guessing you have access to a bgp bandwidth pool, connectivity of at least 10mbps(10,000kbps or 1250kB/s). It would be a pretty bad idea if your requests grow or if the sites are more complex than simple blogs.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    So I should go for a stack of T1's just in case?
    We do see doubling our websites in the next 6 months.

Do you know how much data transfer your accounts have? Are you doing any bandwidth monitoring now?

-Chris

yes. we are averaging 7mbs a month bandwidth on this one server if im correct.

My recommendation would be to keep it collocated. I do think having it in a data center would be better than you hosting it in the office, unless you think immediate physical access is important.

Well if you're pushing 7Mbps, obviously a T1 (1.5Mbps) isn't going to work. Talk to your ISP about other options.

-Chris

Well part of the issue is that my boss wants to save cost by hosting it in house instead of being collacted plus he wants more control that what we have now.
    Any thoughts?

Unless you're paying over $1000/month now, you're going to loose money by switching to in-house. If you are paying over $1000/month, and you want to save money, find a good colo company who doesn't overcharge.

-Chris

I'm not seeing you save cost by stacking up some T1 lines, as those can be more expensive that getting bandwidth from a data center. If your boss actually wants to have more access to the server you could get a KVM switch if it will make him feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by 6PS-Chris View Post
    Well if you're pushing 7Mbps, obviously a T1 (1.5Mbps) isn't going to work. Talk to your ISP about other options.

-Chris
    I think the it would cost more if u are planning to host from your side. I am pretty sure in india it costs like ......... .

Better take up a rack and go for a leased line from your ISP. That would be much better option.

well i was misinformed we are using 7gigs a month in bandwidth not 7mbs
    does this make a difference? Anyway we still are contracted until 2009 with the collacted service so that will give me plenty time to figure out how to migrate everything in house I think.

Quote Originally Posted by raulb View Post
    Hi again,

Question. We currently have 40 websites hosted on our server but the server is collcated. We want to have the servers in house. Theoretcially how much bandwidth shall we need? Will a T1 will suffice? Right now we average around 100 hits an hour to the various websites.

THanks!
    100 hits an hour or 40x100 hits? Anyway I think 7Mbps average is a lot of bandwidth considering this level of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by raulb View Post
    well i was misinformed we are using 7gigs a month in bandwidth not 7mbs
    does this make a difference?
    7Mbps/month ~ 2.3TB (2,300 gigabytes)

7 gigabytes/month and 100 hits / hour are "nothing". Apart security and application requirements, any cheap shared hosting plan would be ok.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-28-2008 at 01:24 PM.

7 GB/mo @ 100 hits/hr shouldn't be costing you more than $15/mo. If you must have root-level access to the machine, expect to spend more like $50/mo for a VPS. If you have sworn off VPS for some inane reason that I'm not going to argue, pay $79+ for a dedicated box.

All of those is significantly cheaper than the $200+/mo + $1,000/2-3years you'll spend on a T1 or equivalent and the server to host the sites on. And all of them can potentially scale higher than you ever could in-house (and with some notable exceptions, provide far higher uptime).