Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    211

    Murder in my neighborhood

    There was a big article in the local paper this morning about a kid that's been missing for about three weeks now (his friends came into my store and posted a missing sign a few days after he was missing). Well, they found his body... less than 1,000 feet from my house The article goes on to say the kid who shot him made him walk up my road, right past my house, and into the woods where he shot him in the back...

    http://www.courant.com/news/local/statewir...0,6503982.story

    That was all I could find on the net... The article in the paper took up several pages. The road was closed off for a few hours and dozens of police and investigators swarmed the area.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=18 Point A is where they found him... Point B is my house Everyone's on edge now after what happened last year (two people released from prison held a family captive in their house in the town over and killed 3 of them).

    In unrelated news, my brother's high school and three others were locked down for 3 hours yesterday when some guy robbed a bank at gun point and got away (after shooting a firefighter who tried to stop him). Then a different kid they thought was the robber hit a state trooper's car on the highway, which they had to shut down.

    This all comes three days after a body was found in a nearby river and several weeks after three stores near mine were robbed at gun point

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    Crikey.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    12,200
    These murderers, they need to be taken off the streets.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK.
    Posts
    1,097
    There was a common problem in each of those horrible events... Gun, Gun, Gun and Gun!

    Perhaps it's time the American Government gets up, smells the coffee and put legislation on owning a gun.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NM, USA
    Posts
    17
    Yep. I'm sure that none of those things would've happened if there were no guns in the hands of law abiding citizens...

    Oh wait, NONE of those people were law abiding citizens were they? Even if you could manage to get the guns out of their hands, anyone who would rob a store or shoot a kid in the back with a gun would likely do the same with a lead pipe or a baseball bat given the opportunity.

    I struggle to understand how some people think the lack of a gun will somehow magically convert a criminal into a good person, and how they seem to believe making guns illegal will be a problem for those who continually break the law anyway. If a criminal has no moral objection to shooting a kid in the back then how on earth does anyone expect them to follow the law when it comes to gun regulations?

    More gun laws will only serve to take a means of defense away from those who do obey the law. Those who do not obey the law will have a field day. Didn't prohibition teach anyone anything?

    <soapbox off>

    It IS terrible that all these things have happened in such a short period of time, or at all for that matter. Anyone who would shoot a kid in the back deserves a nice swing from a very short rope.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    198
    I can feel your pain. I once lived in an apartment that is in the back of a store. I had the ground floor apartment (very big actually) and there were two apartments upstairs (very small ones).

    I came home one day to find police everywhere, turns out the lady upstairs was murdered about a week before. Someone was concerned about not see/hearing from her so the fire department was called to use a ladder to look in her windows.

    The other guy from upstairs and I talked for a while with the cops and each other that night. We really hadn't met before as I had only moved in two weeks previously.

    Two weeks later the guy upstairs was arrested, charged and eventually convicted of her murder.

    Once I was able to get into the apartment it took me less than 24 hours to find a new place to live and to move all my belongings.

    She was killed apparently for not giving him cigarettes. A TV and approx $20 were stolen after her death.
    http://www.wpdirectorypro.com is a premium plugin to make a directory using WordPress
    http://www.pocketbikeforum.com racing, mods, sales, and general discussion of pocket bikes

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    13,277
    This is sad........

    Guns need to be MAJORLY CONTROLLED!!!!!! (They are not toys)





    Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    State of Disbelief
    Posts
    22,948
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Guns need to be MAJORLY CONTROLLED!!!!!!
    They are already controlled. Law abiding citizens are not the issue and gun control won't fix it. Perhaps much stiffer penalties for using one in any crime might.

    Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott
    Perhaps it's time the American Government gets up, smells the coffee and put legislation on owning a gun.
    What part of the current legislation doesn't work for you? Most crimes are committed with handguns (I'd expect), and getting one is not simple. Background checks, waiting periods and more stand in the way of legally obtaining one.
    Illegally, on the other hand, is fairly simple, if you have some money and a connection or two.
    Last edited by bear; 02-28-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    515
    If the victim was walking down the side of the road and the murderer drove past in a car and swerved into the victim, killing them, I wonder how many people would be demanding background checks and 5 day waiting periods on the purchase of a car?

  10. #10
    If it was same in Web-Hosts the piece of advice would be!

    "Move Out" :p

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK.
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskrider View Post
    Yep. I'm sure that none of those things would've happened if there were no guns in the hands of law abiding citizens...
    Thats the most flawed argument ever...

    Why don't we legalise explosives, RPGs, Grenades or whatever weapon we want because a law abiding citizen wouldn't hurt another with them. While we are at it, why don't we legalise heroine, cocaine and many other drugs as those normal american citizens will know not to use them.

    Why can't America look around them and see that every country with a low crime rate have weapons under huge legislation to prevent the exact crimes that have happened in this post. You don't ever see Swiss universities being attacked by Gunmen.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NM, USA
    Posts
    17
    First you tell me I have a flawed argument, then you go on to say that, according to my logic, we should give everyone RPGs and grenades?

    Explosives, Grenades, RPGs... those are all military grade weapons. Having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun isn't the same thing by any means, and to try to imply such a thing just helps to invalidate your point. If the logic you're using held true, criminals would be holding up convenience stores with bazookas.

    Flipped the other way, is a car any less deadly than a handgun? Why don't we legalize Tanks, Military Humvees, or APCs? I mean, if we're going to make vehicles legal...

    I never said that a law abiding citizen could never hurt anyone with a handgun, but I'm fairly certain there are more deaths from driving accidents than gun accidents. And before you say that's because there are more cars, I'd love to see the statistics in a ratio that makes the comparison fair. I would be very surprised if guns turn out to be more deadly in the hands of a properly licensed citizen.

    As for America vs the rest of the world in crime rate, if you could cite such a statistic I'd love to see it, not that it would make much difference. America is a different culture than the rest of the world and expecting Americans to fall in line the same way as the Swiss do isn't something I would count on. The Swiss probably have a lower crime rate because their culture breeds less criminals, NOT because they have tough gun laws.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK.
    Posts
    1,097
    Sorry.. Whats the purpose of a car? To transport people... Whats the purpose of a gun? To kill or damage things, big difference!

    Tanks, Millitary Humvees and APCs are illegal on the road, you wouldn't ever see a citizen driving one.

    There are a lot of things that are killing more people in the world than a gun, such as alcohol, Tobacco, Flying, Mountain Climbing etc etc the difference is these activities aren't designed to impact and kill something.

    Where I live has a huge level of crime, fact I believe it's much higher than the US I can't imagine how much worst it would get if we had guns on the streets as well!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NM, USA
    Posts
    17
    I'm sorry you didn't get my sarcasm regarding military vehicles. I also wouldn't pigeonhole a gun into the role of a killing machine... a gun is tool just like a chainsaw, a machete, or even a car. Used incorrectly any of these things can kill. Used correctly, they do not. I don't own a gun because I want to kill or damage people... I own a gun because I want to be able to defend myself if the need arises, and perhaps even do some hunting to get some food that isn't put through ten levels of processing. Responsible gun owners all have a legitimate reason to own a firearm... it's the criminals that do not. Unfortunately criminals do not follow laws by definition, so gun laws will have very little effect on their habits.

    In any case, we've hijacked this thread enough as it is.
    We can agree to disagree if you like, but I think this is my last post on this thread.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Castle Pines, CO
    Posts
    7,189
    skreid, is your neighborhood usually pretty safe? We all like to think we live in a safe neighborhood and can walk around at anytime without problems of course, but it is things like this that really make you think more.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post
    Thats the most flawed argument ever...

    While we are at it, why don't we legalise heroine, cocaine and many other drugs as those normal american citizens will know not to use them.
    Why don't we? Vaporize the criminal enterprise associated with drugs overnight. Thinking people support legalized drugs. And that includes all the ones you list above, and any not listed.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962
    Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post
    Why can't America look around them and see that every country with a low crime rate have weapons under huge legislation to prevent the exact crimes that have happened in this post. You don't ever see Swiss universities being attacked by Gunmen.
    I will post stats.
    Switzerland Murder Rates | 2 in 100,000 population
    United States Murder Rates | 6 in 100,000 population

    With all our guns, our murder rate isnt much higher than yours. If you dig into those stats you may find that 5 out of those six were probably the bad guys being killed by the good guys (police, self defense, etc).

    Now let's look at thefts...
    Switzerland Theft Rates | 3347 in 100,000 population
    United States Theft Rates | 3805 in 100,000 population

    Still... not too far off in difference. Not enough for you to brag about and condemn guns in the U.S. anyway..

    If you really want to compare.... big bad China has lower rates than you do... http://dev.prenhall.com/divisions/hs.../CN/crime.html

    Since you want us to be like you and not have guns, how about a China man come and tell you what you need to change? After all, they have lower crime rates.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •