Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmythe View Post
    ...The main difference being is name recognition.
    ...and capital. If Google were to decide to really enter the hosting arena, they could purchase the top 5 largest hosting companies without even blinking an eye.

Any other hosting company would be able to compete as well as MSN and Yahoo compete in the search category. That is, if they had Microsoft's and Yahoo's money to spend.

But, I'm not sure Google really wants into the hosting market. What would they gain for return on investment? Maybe if the sites were supporting adsense or something, but I just don't see the revenue stream for Google.
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

At this point there seems to be a major limitation. Even after making CNAME changes, a URL like sites.mydomain.com does not show the contents of the site. It only is suitable for editing. To see the contents there is a long URL with google in it.

...Which is why I am not going to just freak out and quit the biz just yet.

Google tends to give a lot of things away and while I know Google has tons of cash to light on fire. They are still a business. So I wonder how long this (and other) freebie(s) will last?

Also.. I have been getting complaints from folks attempting to use the Google calendar component with their Crackberries and other cell PDA type devices. And when they go looking for help and can't find it.. they call me.

What does this tell me? That service still sells. And I know this to be a fact because most of my clients come from much larger hosts that could cursh me with one finger. but everday I score more and more of 'crumbs' that they leave behind. And take those folks and treat'em right and in the process create free advertising for me.

You know what else is interesting. All but one of my clients have already hosted elsewhere. so.. when google screws the pooch I will be there repair the damage.

You all can freak out if want to but in my view - they are yet another face in a sea of people and if they want to beat me, they damn well better have CONSISTENTLY EXCELLENT support or else they will lose.

oh and by the way.. that sorry excuse of a mobile phone platform they created won't fly either.

enjoy,
    -d

Quote Originally Posted by dsmythe View Post
    ...Which is why I am not going to just freak out and quit the biz just yet.

Google tends to give a lot of things away and while I know Google has tons of cash to light on fire. They are still a business. So I wonder how long this (and other) freebie(s) will last?

Also.. I have been getting complaints from folks attempting to use the Google calendar component with their Crackberries and other cell PDA type devices. And when they go looking for help and can't find it.. they call me.

What does this tell me? That service still sells. And I know this to be a fact because most of my clients come from much larger hosts that could cursh me with one finger. but everday I score more and more of 'crumbs' that they leave behind. And take those folks and treat'em right and in the process create free advertising for me.

You know what else is interesting. All but one of my clients have already hosted elsewhere. so.. when google screws the pooch I will be there repair the damage.

You all can freak out if want to but in my view - they are yet another face in a sea of people and if they want to beat me, they damn well better have CONSISTENTLY EXCELLENT support or else they will lose.

oh and by the way.. that sorry excuse of a mobile phone platform they created won't fly either.

enjoy,
    -d
    100% agreed. The only people that get hyped about all things google are the ones that don't know any better.

Kind Regards,

This guy seems to think Google's entry into the hosting market, along with their unrivaled ability to dominate, is a sure thing...

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/goo...eb-hosting-war

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ View Post
    Personally I think Google will obviously have a long term vision but, will also adapt this depending how potential customers use the service

Would I choose Google hosting? No!

Google have nasty habit of springing surprises down the road
    Yes, I totally agree with you. Eventhough with the big name google has, they have the habit of "suprising" their users.

Google certainly has the cashflow to enter into just about any market they want to... Now as to whether or not they can dominate the hosting industry as many seem to fear... I'm not so sure.

Does your web hosting company run a search engine, launch a cell phone platform, or anything else really besides hosting and maybe design?

Google may offer decent hosting and support but... A good portion of web hosts focus on their hosting and their customer support. Google is a huge company that does a lot of things - I'm not entirely sure Google will be able to offer the level of dedicated service and support to their hosting clients as a company dedicated only to hosting could.

I feel that Google has the potential to offer good hosting and service, but I don't feel that they will "crush" the competition unless they buy them out. I guess only time will tell as we see what Google's focus and long term goals are in the hosting industry.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I don't now how they thinking but believe me it will be like Yahoo! hosting more secure less models they don't even install Zend in there server (About Yahoo! Hosting) ..
    Last edited by Mansour_qa; 03-01-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Yep, it'll be a blow to the industry... from top to bottom...
    Not because they are any good... they could just be as bad as it gets... still ppl will host with them cuz of the popularity and pricing (if it keeps between some margins).

When ppl go to google and search for webhosting and that's the 1st thing they see, it'll surely attract a large number of webmasters. And if they keep it free, we're almost all (~95%) screwed.
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

Hi
    May I think aloud here?
    Why will G not enter 'regular' web hosting?
    1. a typical customer like me, who is a 'wannabe' in system knowledge, will want to talk to the boss or the boss's cat atleast, when there's an outage or a script prob .. and guess what? I don't think page or brin wants a call from me jus becos my page isn't showing!
    2. G would NOT be interested in a business where others load scripts on to their servers .. would be a hackers dream and G's nightmare
    3. they would like to work in automated environments where human interaction would be minimal. if they do take up, imagine how many people (even outsourced) they would need to get back on the 'could you check why my database looks like my face?' questions jus to answer 'becos both are screwed up!?'
    youtube is not the same.. you can upload just videos and do nothing else
    4. there are ANY number of free hosts- with and without domains- yet you go on getting checks, isn't it?

so, except those who have static pages, use existing free offers in hosting, wikis, blogs etc and similar, others may not sign up even when G opens up as a regular wh service.

thanks...

and they have managed to get a few name.com deals to help them enter the market.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Whilst Google's sites platform doesn't worry me, Google itself does. I struggle to see how anyone can be pro-Google if you think about how much information they have on a regular internet user.

They know what you search for.
    They know which sites you visit (Google Toolbar).
    They know what you buy (Google Checkout).
    They know who visits your website (Google Analytics).
    They know who you email and who emails you, and what is in these emails (Google Mail)
    Documents? Yep (Google Docs)
    Appointments? Yep (Calender)
    What's on your PC? Yep (Desktop Search)
    Instant messaging? Yep (GoogleTalk)

Don't get me wrong, I am no scaremonger. I'm not one for conspiracy theories etiher, but the sheer amount of information that Google has about you is worrisome for me.

I make a concentrated effort to use Google for search and nothing more.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

My view on Google Sites is that it's more of a wiki / intranet solution than a "regular website hosting" ditto.

I would not use Google Sites to anything I need full control over the content at myself, but I can see that it can be a very good solution for a SMB's internal communication needs, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    At this point, if this spells doom for anyone, it would be the no-frills free hosting providers.
    My thoughts exactly...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate3 View Post
    1. a typical customer like me, who is a 'wannabe' in system knowledge, will want to talk to the boss or the boss's cat atleast, when there's an outage or a script prob .. and guess what? I don't think page or brin wants a call from me jus becos my page isn't showing!
    Do you remember when was the last Google outage, Google page not showing, Google script not working? I don't remember.

Making these critics people is thinking Google as a company using off-the-shelf products even though Google makes its own server and network hardware and uses its own file system and OS. It seems obvious Google with its dozens of multibillion dollar data centers will do the things different -- Google is not a "me too" company, probably not using commercial control panels or vanilla versions of IIS, Apache, PHP, MySQL, ... just think about Gmail and its interface, its spam filter, its disk space, etc. What about if Google launches its Web hosting service using geo location caching your site content around the world, as Akamai and others, as a standard feature?
    Last edited by dotHostel; 03-01-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Do you remember when was the last Google outage, Google page not showing, Google script not working? I don't remember.

Making these critics people is thinking Google as a company using off-the-shelf products even though Google makes its own server and network hardware and uses its own file system and OS. It seems obvious Google with its dozens of multibillion data centers will do the things different, not using commercial control panels or vanilla versions of IIS, Apache, PHP, MySQL, ... Just think about Gmail and its interface, its spam filter, its disk space, etc.
    I remember an outage/issues with GMail late last year. Just google for "gmail problems"

Regards,

If they kept it to Akamai standard I would give them a fair chance
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    I remember an outage/issues with GMail late last year. Just google for "gmail problems"

Top result:

Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:14:11 -0000
    anyone else having problems logging into gmail? I have nmot been able to use it for days now and its not right as I have a very ill family member and email is only way to keep in touch with them. Need help asap!

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 06:16:07 -0400
    What problem are you experiencing (I'm not having any problems myself)?

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 06:47:55 -0500
    jsh1942:
    I too am not having any problems with Gmail, and have moved from MSN for several weeks now, and find Gmail to be the Best Choice, and Decision I have made to date.
    Texy

Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:12:57 -0700
    I go to head into gmail and nothing happens the connection appears to be so very snail slow and then I get the 'The Page cannot be displayed' I have tried everything and this is still happening :-(
    Sounds familiar?

Other search result:

Am I the only one on the planet who has been having “issues” with GMail ever since their GoogleTalk system upgrade? I don’t think I have been able to send out any messages from GMail in over three days, though I’ve been away for much of the last three days, so its tough to know if this has been a continuous, or spotty outage. Archiving messages is broken, and while there are a couple of new messages, its no where near the normal level I would expect.

Update: Hmmm…. If its a system wide issue, there doesn’t seem to be too many people blogging about it, though at this stage of the “Symantic Web” game, its difficult to pin-point the content you are most interested in, as the combination of keywords and full-text search, while fine for non-mainstream subject matter like “XSLT”, doesn’t fly too well when you are searching for “gmail” or “gmail problems” or “problems with gmail”, and while coming up with the exact phrasing that folks are using when speaking about potential gmail problems would obviously help, if we humans are the ones with the problem (in regards to finding what it is we are looking for from a fine-tuned contextual standpoint), we might as well forget about this whole “Semantic Web” business and go back to using newspapers, television, and our local public library to locate information of interest.
    Anyway I guess most of time last year Gmail was a "Beta" product.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbister View Post
    If they kept it to Akamai standard I would give them a fair chance
    Me too.

BTW Akamai is said to operate some 13,000 servers and Google 600,000 - 1,000,000

The only thing I can see being a big hurt AT FIRST is the fact that when you go to search for web hosting 80% of the people out there I bet click the first link(which will be google) and if its cheap and looks like what they need they will get this business. Those customers will eventually learn and get tired of the poor support(With the large amount of people that will sign up I cannot imagine there support will be very good at all) or there sites not working. Yeah google may be a great platform but they will be getting into a whole new sector with the hosting. Right now they don't have to worry about things you do with web hosting. Like someone said above that will be someones heaven just to try to hack it all day/week/month/year. So we all may take a small hit but geuss we will have to do new things to get customers. (I cant see google advertising in my city for hosting which is where i get most of my customers)

Looks good but i would always go for a "proper" host.
    Happily Hosted By 4RL-Hosting.com and SurpassHosting.com and Uni-Hosts.com =)

It is not advisable to keep all your information at one place, I would always prefer to pay for hosting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12