Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Google Website Hosting

Finally, google website hosting is here. It looks neat and it appears that it could evolve as simple but powerful tool for non-application hosting. I could not find a template with horizontal drop down menu and could not find FTP feature which I hope they add in near future.

What are your thoughts about the revenue model for google site hosting, pages hosting, docs hosting and so on in the long run? Is it going to be like blogger in which google does not force to show advertisements (at the moment) but lets user decide and takes a part of earning if user uses adsense? Or, is it going to be like basic limited features free (standard edition) and then charge for the premier editions etc.?
    Last edited by edunetter; 02-28-2008 at 04:31 AM.

Little information about payment and bandwith transfer so far.
    Unfortunately, I am sceptic towards search engines hosting (like Yahoo). 10 gigs of space and unlimited bandwith for free? No, thanks.

Personally I think Google will obviously have a long term vision but, will also adapt this depending how potential customers use the service

Would I choose Google hosting? No!

Google have nasty habit of springing surprises down the road
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

It looks like they are aiming at Businesses and Orgainisations rather then the personal user.

I doubt it will be long before we start seeing google hosting representives here
    -- Adam

If google really goes after this, it will be pretty hard to compete with them.

I do not think so. Because they are not in web hosting and this is something additional for them. It is impossible to cover everything.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    I do not think so. Because they are not in web hosting and this is something additional for them. It is impossible to cover everything.
    I am hoping that is true haha. But then again Google is the beast of beasts. Almost 60 percent of the search engine market belongs to google...
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

Wouldnt that make them more likely sucessful?

They have the financial backing to never have to make a profit.
    -- Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam H View Post

They have the financial backing to never have to make a profit.
    As great as google is, I personally have never used google docs or any of the other google services aside from gmail and their search engine (haha which is their main business).I don't even use gmail that much anyway. I believe googles main game plan is data archiving. It seems they want want everyone to store more and more data on their servers. Just that alone will turn people to other hosting providers.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

What? Web hosting service providing?
    Not sure.
    Simple example: with which one would you rather gor for cars: samsung (say they have started car produsing) or honda?
    I think that web hosting industry has approximately the same situation. IMO
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.

What? Web hosting service providing?
    Not sure.
    Simple example: with which one would you rather gor for cars: samsung (say they have started car produsing) or honda?
    I think that web hosting industry has approximately the same situation. IMO
    You can't even compare the two like that. You want to compare an electronics company to a car company :/

Google has a firm grasp on the internet market from Mail to Search Engine to Statistics, which are all web based and have some relation to web hosting in one way or another. Google is such a power house that they have the funds to provide an ungodly amount of resources for free. You want to compare an electronics company to a car company :/

BTW -- Knowing the kind of quality the Samsung products are, I would probably go with them

Ok. Seems our standpoints are diffrent. I love brands and I think that this main idea of branding.
    BTW how popular is google checkout now? It seems that 2CO and Paypal are in great condition and they are still here.

Ok. Seems our standpoints are diffrent. I love brands and I think that this main idea of branding.
    BTW how popular is google checkout now? It seems that 2CO and Paypal are in great condition and they are still here.
    How can you even try and compare the products? 2CO was created in 1999 and Paypal was founded in 1998 giving them a 9 year head start. GoogleCheckout is a new company (which I hope) will expand to become one of the leading checkout systems. I think they have done pretty well so far, especially with the market being so tight.

Paypal has a huge advantage because of eBay.

This is a more simplistic approach to webhosting from what I can make of it. I wonder if it really competes with "all" the webhosting companies out here on WHT.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

At this point, if this spells doom for anyone, it would be the no-frills free hosting providers.

From the looks of it, the Google sites isn't a full-fledged web hosting service that provides all the FTP and other scripts of yoru choosing. It is a web-based web platform that is limited to what they will offer. However, this will still take some business from webhosts that target newbie customers who look for sitebuilder hosts.

If Google than goes forward with this and starts to become a full-fledge webhost, than no doubt this would have an adverse effect on current webhosts now.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH-Moe View Post
    However, this will still take some business from webhosts that target newbie customers who look for sitebuilder hosts.
    Absolutely, and I find their Site Builder much better at the moment and am currently trying to test drive the process of moving one my domains to google site hosting. This domain primarily has static pages.

wow... It's fun watching people support the company that can take them all out in one shot if it decides too.

The bottom line is this - Google is yet another competitor in an already saturated market space. The main difference being is name recognition.

The sooner folks get smart and realize this and start making sure they have an answer to "Why shouldn't I just use Google?" the better off they will be.

What they don't offer today - they will offer tomorrow and with that in mind I personally will be doing whever I can to make sure it winds up dead like Google video. =)

-d

Quote Originally Posted by GrabAHost View Post
    Google will never enter into this. They would loose a lot of customers who are currently advertising with them.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmythe View Post
    What they don't offer today - they will offer tomorrow and with that in mind I personally will be doing whever I can to make sure it winds up dead like Google video. =)

-d
    So they just bought youtube...

What makes you think they won't do the same here?
    -- Adam

The bottom line is this - Google is yet another competitor in an already saturated market space. The main difference being is name recognition.
    Are you kidding?

Google spent $2.4 billion on capital expenditures in 2007, primarily for data centers and related equipment, up from $1.9 billion in 2006. The increase was expected, as Google announced four major new data center projects in the U.S. in 2007, including projects in North Carolina, South Carolina, Oklahoma and Iowa.

In recent weeks there have been reports that Google is considering a data center in Lithuania, and is scouting locations throughout Asia, evaluating up to 18 different countries for future data centers.
    http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...s_in_2007.html

RELATED ENTRIES
    Denver Site Sold, Google is Rumored Buyer - Jan 29, 2008
    Asian Nations Battle for Google Data Center - Jan 29, 2008
    Google Considering Taiwan for Data Center - Jan 26, 2008

Keyword: Evil
    http://harpers.org/media/slideshow/a...-03/index.html
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-28-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
    So they just bought youtube...

What makes you think they won't do the same here?
    They may just buy out hostgator or dreamhost.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    They may just buy out hostgator or dreamhost.
    And Rackspace.

If anyone can make a reliable product like this its certainly google.

well, I was watching video at money.cnn.com and i saw this news. To be frank, with google in hosting its really scares hell out of me.

Accept it or not, This is very very bad news for us (web hosts). All those people who want simple web sites will now go with google as their web site builder will be easy and will offer bunch of features sufficient for average joe. Soon they will integrate everything right from emails to statics in google hosting and all people will see saying good bye to small web site customers.

Nobody will pay $50-$100 / year for service which they can get it for free from google.

This will also harm webmasters and web site designers who make there living or buck through web site building in one way or another.

With google in hosting business, slowly they will eliminate competition and only big hosts with corporate customers will remain in business.

This will also definitely effect all data centers, VPS providers as there will be less server demand due to web hosts loosing business to google.

Remember google is not just the web host, they rule internet. They have 70% of internet users, they are about to become largest ISP in america and they will definitely hert web hosting industry.

If google succeed in web site hosting, more then 50% of small and medium size web hosts will go out of business in next 4 years.

I can see that google is now becoming next microsoft and they will lead in all technologies related to computers, internet and communication and soon they will wipe out competition in every field they will venture (that also includes web hosting).

Time for us (web hosts) to learn some farming just in case...
    Last edited by mahinder; 02-28-2008 at 04:30 PM.

...The main difference being is name recognition.
    ...and capital. If Google were to decide to really enter the hosting arena, they could purchase the top 5 largest hosting companies without even blinking an eye.

Any other hosting company would be able to compete as well as MSN and Yahoo compete in the search category. That is, if they had Microsoft's and Yahoo's money to spend.

But, I'm not sure Google really wants into the hosting market. What would they gain for return on investment? Maybe if the sites were supporting adsense or something, but I just don't see the revenue stream for Google.
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

At this point there seems to be a major limitation. Even after making CNAME changes, a URL like sites.mydomain.com does not show the contents of the site. It only is suitable for editing. To see the contents there is a long URL with google in it.

...Which is why I am not going to just freak out and quit the biz just yet.

Google tends to give a lot of things away and while I know Google has tons of cash to light on fire. They are still a business. So I wonder how long this (and other) freebie(s) will last?

Also.. I have been getting complaints from folks attempting to use the Google calendar component with their Crackberries and other cell PDA type devices. And when they go looking for help and can't find it.. they call me.

What does this tell me? That service still sells. And I know this to be a fact because most of my clients come from much larger hosts that could cursh me with one finger. but everday I score more and more of 'crumbs' that they leave behind. And take those folks and treat'em right and in the process create free advertising for me.

You know what else is interesting. All but one of my clients have already hosted elsewhere. so.. when google screws the pooch I will be there repair the damage.

You all can freak out if want to but in my view - they are yet another face in a sea of people and if they want to beat me, they damn well better have CONSISTENTLY EXCELLENT support or else they will lose.

oh and by the way.. that sorry excuse of a mobile phone platform they created won't fly either.

enjoy,
    -d

...Which is why I am not going to just freak out and quit the biz just yet.

Google tends to give a lot of things away and while I know Google has tons of cash to light on fire. They are still a business. So I wonder how long this (and other) freebie(s) will last?

Also.. I have been getting complaints from folks attempting to use the Google calendar component with their Crackberries and other cell PDA type devices. And when they go looking for help and can't find it.. they call me.

What does this tell me? That service still sells. And I know this to be a fact because most of my clients come from much larger hosts that could cursh me with one finger. but everday I score more and more of 'crumbs' that they leave behind. And take those folks and treat'em right and in the process create free advertising for me.

You know what else is interesting. All but one of my clients have already hosted elsewhere. so.. when google screws the pooch I will be there repair the damage.

You all can freak out if want to but in my view - they are yet another face in a sea of people and if they want to beat me, they damn well better have CONSISTENTLY EXCELLENT support or else they will lose.

oh and by the way.. that sorry excuse of a mobile phone platform they created won't fly either.

enjoy,
    -d
    100% agreed. The only people that get hyped about all things google are the ones that don't know any better.

Kind Regards,

This guy seems to think Google's entry into the hosting market, along with their unrivaled ability to dominate, is a sure thing...

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/goo...eb-hosting-war

Quote Originally Posted by EncoderZ View Post
    Personally I think Google will obviously have a long term vision but, will also adapt this depending how potential customers use the service

Would I choose Google hosting? No!

Google have nasty habit of springing surprises down the road
    Yes, I totally agree with you. Eventhough with the big name google has, they have the habit of "suprising" their users.

Google certainly has the cashflow to enter into just about any market they want to... Now as to whether or not they can dominate the hosting industry as many seem to fear... I'm not so sure.

Does your web hosting company run a search engine, launch a cell phone platform, or anything else really besides hosting and maybe design?

Google may offer decent hosting and support but... A good portion of web hosts focus on their hosting and their customer support. Google is a huge company that does a lot of things - I'm not entirely sure Google will be able to offer the level of dedicated service and support to their hosting clients as a company dedicated only to hosting could.

I feel that Google has the potential to offer good hosting and service, but I don't feel that they will "crush" the competition unless they buy them out. I guess only time will tell as we see what Google's focus and long term goals are in the hosting industry.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I don't now how they thinking but believe me it will be like Yahoo! hosting more secure less models they don't even install Zend in there server (About Yahoo! Hosting) ..
    Last edited by Mansour_qa; 03-01-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Yep, it'll be a blow to the industry... from top to bottom...
    Not because they are any good... they could just be as bad as it gets... still ppl will host with them cuz of the popularity and pricing (if it keeps between some margins).

When ppl go to google and search for webhosting and that's the 1st thing they see, it'll surely attract a large number of webmasters. And if they keep it free, we're almost all (~95%) screwed.
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

Hi
    May I think aloud here?
    Why will G not enter 'regular' web hosting?
    1. a typical customer like me, who is a 'wannabe' in system knowledge, will want to talk to the boss or the boss's cat atleast, when there's an outage or a script prob .. and guess what? I don't think page or brin wants a call from me jus becos my page isn't showing!
    2. G would NOT be interested in a business where others load scripts on to their servers .. would be a hackers dream and G's nightmare
    3. they would like to work in automated environments where human interaction would be minimal. if they do take up, imagine how many people (even outsourced) they would need to get back on the 'could you check why my database looks like my face?' questions jus to answer 'becos both are screwed up!?'
    youtube is not the same.. you can upload just videos and do nothing else
    4. there are ANY number of free hosts- with and without domains- yet you go on getting checks, isn't it?

so, except those who have static pages, use existing free offers in hosting, wikis, blogs etc and similar, others may not sign up even when G opens up as a regular wh service.

thanks...

and they have managed to get a few name.com deals to help them enter the market.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Whilst Google's sites platform doesn't worry me, Google itself does. I struggle to see how anyone can be pro-Google if you think about how much information they have on a regular internet user.

They know what you search for.
    They know which sites you visit (Google Toolbar).
    They know what you buy (Google Checkout).
    They know who visits your website (Google Analytics).
    They know who you email and who emails you, and what is in these emails (Google Mail)
    Documents? Yep (Google Docs)
    Appointments? Yep (Calender)
    What's on your PC? Yep (Desktop Search)
    Instant messaging? Yep (GoogleTalk)

Don't get me wrong, I am no scaremonger. I'm not one for conspiracy theories etiher, but the sheer amount of information that Google has about you is worrisome for me.

I make a concentrated effort to use Google for search and nothing more.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

My view on Google Sites is that it's more of a wiki / intranet solution than a "regular website hosting" ditto.

I would not use Google Sites to anything I need full control over the content at myself, but I can see that it can be a very good solution for a SMB's internal communication needs, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    At this point, if this spells doom for anyone, it would be the no-frills free hosting providers.
    My thoughts exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate3 View Post
    1. a typical customer like me, who is a 'wannabe' in system knowledge, will want to talk to the boss or the boss's cat atleast, when there's an outage or a script prob .. and guess what? I don't think page or brin wants a call from me jus becos my page isn't showing!
    Do you remember when was the last Google outage, Google page not showing, Google script not working? I don't remember.

Making these critics people is thinking Google as a company using off-the-shelf products even though Google makes its own server and network hardware and uses its own file system and OS. It seems obvious Google with its dozens of multibillion dollar data centers will do the things different -- Google is not a "me too" company, probably not using commercial control panels or vanilla versions of IIS, Apache, PHP, MySQL, ... just think about Gmail and its interface, its spam filter, its disk space, etc. What about if Google launches its Web hosting service using geo location caching your site content around the world, as Akamai and others, as a standard feature?
    Last edited by dotHostel; 03-01-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast