* How to convince a client that buddy check your stuff our services are working ??

What or how exactly i should ask that you can convince your client that its something on their end that they broke causing some forums maybe to not function.

Last night about 1 ish in the morning a dude submits a ticket, saying "Your Mysql Services are not working" i was shocked cause the ticket he submitted was Client Exec which ofcourse as any noob like myself would know its mysql based.
    So i told him Nope sorry all our services are working, a min , later dude replies that nope they are not working and than gave a link to his SMF forum showing database connection error/not available error.

I than thought oh well maybe smf sometimes does that so decided to check my own hosting forums, and tada its working and its on SMF too , so i tell him hey check our forums out its SMF and its working so our mysql services are working fine.

But still the dude continued to post link to his forum, so i did not know what else to do, so i just did not reply back at all, what would you do in a situation like this where you know that nothing on your end is broken and all services are working but the clients insist that they are not working, even when you use the same script/software etc. and its working, and theirs was working too but all the sudden who knows what they might have done(maybe smf autoupgrade or something) that its not working at all ???

Baah !!!!

I think your best bet would be to walk them through it step by step and see if you can figure out their breakdown in understanding. Possibly reword what you are trying to say. Everyone is different though so it's hard to say. Not responding will probably just frustrated them.

Instead of wasting time making a fuss about it, look into the issue and give them some guidance. If it looks like something is wrong with their particular database, tell them that, and let them know where they can get help (e.g. simplemachines.org). It could be as simple as a configuration issue. Shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to take a look. Much more productive than going back and forth.

I had a similar issue previously, where a client was saying, that there is something wrong with the network connection to a dedicated server, when he was loosing packets and saying it was on our end.
    What I did is use utilities, that provide reports on packet loss for different upstream providers, and that report showed, that his ISP was dropping 40% packets. I asked him to run this utility from his home computer and it showed the same result.

The idea is, that you need to provide solid proof, that it's not on your end. But I mean fixing a forum is something different, maybe it's faster to just check what he is doing wrong...trying to fo fix a non-existent packet-loss problem is a bit more complex

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Instead of wasting time making a fuss about it, look into the issue and give them some guidance. If it looks like something is wrong with their particular database, tell them that, and let them know where they can get help (e.g. simplemachines.org). It could be as simple as a configuration issue. Shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to take a look. Much more productive than going back and forth.
    I agree in the time you spend going back and forth you probably could have solved the problem. But I can also see how you wouldnt want this to become a habbit.

Quote Originally Posted by torqhost View Post
    The idea is, that you need to provide solid proof, that it's not on your end. But I mean fixing a forum is something different, maybe it's faster to just check what he is doing wrong...trying to fo fix a non-existent packet-loss problem is a bit more complex
    To be frank, checking what changes he made, on SMF system is not a walk in the park, and for any sql related issues , would need them to send their login info as with root you cannot do much phpmyadmin stuff from within their account.

Now if a client all the sudden complains of broken stuff like script not working, i try to look into it, maybe they just set permissions wrong, but when it comes to database, they could have done bunch of stuff and pin pointing where and what they did corrupted or broke the entire setup would require potentially lots of time rather than going back and forward and duuh i did tell him to contact SMF to ask for possible reasons and help him troubleshoot after all its not my script.

If i had seen my forums down (using smf) i would have been concerned that yaa its my entire server at fault, but thats not the case and trust me forum troubleshooting aint easy stuff,i have installed/modded forums(almost all the forums you could think off) etc etc but when something breaks good luck trying to figure out what happened if you did some changes.

PS: just checked via root the server sql databases,seems like he does not even have SMF database at all, so how can i troubleshoot that maybe he just deleted his wrong database ?
    Last edited by Energizer Bunny; 02-28-2008 at 01:50 AM.

I understand how frustrating this could be when its not your fault. The only thing you need to understand is how does that client know that your not using the same database? I know he could do some research to find out, but it seems like they are not that computer savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    To be frank, checking what changes he made, on SMF system is not a walk in the park, and for any sql related issues , would need them to send their login info as with root you cannot do much phpmyadmin stuff from within their account.
    Code:
    cat /home/username/public_html/Settings.php
    mysql -uusername_dbusername -p username_dbname
    How hard is that, and where does phpmyadmin come into it?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Code:
    cat /home/username/public_html/Settings.php
    mysql -uusername_dbusername -p username_dbname
    How hard is that, and where does phpmyadmin come into it?
    dunno like super duper really hard . But anyways i asked a general question as to what would a host do in a situation where they know their services are up and running but their client insists they are not running ?

Like i said even using phpmyadmin you can find out if user even has the database and using ur method same results user does not have the database, now what he did with it , he only knows.
    Last edited by Energizer Bunny; 02-28-2008 at 02:04 AM.

dunno like super duper really hard . But anyways i asked a general question as to what would a host do in a situation where they know their services are up and running but their client insists they are not running ?

Like i said even using phpmyadmin you can find out if user even has the database and using ur method same results user does not have the database, now what he did with it , he only knows.
    I'd login to that customer's account and see for myself what is going on (although technically you don't even need to login to their account). As foobic said it is as simple as reading the configuration file and checking the database. If the database listed in Settings.php doesn't exist, then perhaps you should check your backups to see if it exists there, and then inform the customer that they may have deleted by mistake? Are you sure the customer isn't trying to install SMF? There are so many possibilities, but it truly only takes a few minutes to check, and I see no reason why the host shouldn't do this.

Well, you can tell him to try and create another database (some test one), that will prove for sure, that your mysql server is running...don't know if you already mentioned that to him. If this is being ignored, then he won't give up so easily and I think you will eventually have to look into the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by torqhost View Post
    Well, you can tell him to try and create another database (some test one), that will prove for sure, that your mysql server is running...don't know if you already mentioned that to him. If this is being ignored, then he won't give up so easily and I think you will eventually have to look into the issue.
    I looked does not even have any sql backup for that instance to which the settings file is pointing to, so dunno for how long it has not been working and he just realized it or something. Last google cache i can see is for 19th feb so in between that time he might have mistakenly deleted wrong db, sadly no weekly backup would have it either as over the weekend backups are run . Hopefully he has a backup at home, that he can restore.

But still why would a client argue that sql server is down when its not, and not even bother check their own account themselves first ? Beats me !!

But anyways i asked a general question as to what would a host do in a situation where they know their services are up and running but their client insists they are not running ?
    And the answer you got already was: spend a few minutes looking into the problem - it's much more productive than going back and forth telling the client there's nothing wrong when for him, something is wrong.

True, it's probably not your fault but it's most likely something you can diagnose and fix easily, or if not you should at least be able to tell him why not.

In this case (no connection) it's almost certainly one of:
    • He's screwed up the settings file.
    • He's deleted the database.
    • He's deleted the database user.

None of these are hard to test.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

But still why would a client argue that sql server is down when its not, and not even bother check their own account themselves first ? Beats me !!
    It doesn't matter, tell them that the database that their script is referencing no longer exists, and it could be because they mistakenly deleted it. Say that you've checked your backups but unfortunately you do not have a copy of it.

Because most clients haven't got a clue how stuff like MySQL works.

Why wouldn't a host bother to check the issue for the client, it would take all of 2 mins, save the time wasted of follow up tickets and time spent bitching on WHT about it.
    Liverpool FC Forum 11.5 Million posts powered by SMF

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    I agree.

You should put forth some effort looking into the issue, because if you do nothing at all, it may look like you really don't care about their issues.

Not replying at all is great Keep on going like this!
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    Not replying at all is great Keep on going like this!
    Lol don't listen to her, she just wants to run you out of business

Chances are that his settings file is incorrect or the permissions on the SQL username have been removed. I had a few clients that ran into each of these which were results of an exploit. Check the settings file and then check the user name associated with it in MySQL. You won't even need to access phpmyadmin to validate those settings.

Wow, you really couldn't handle this issue? This is a very basic technical problem and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to solve (let alone a forum post).

You also only take a backup every weekend and delete it once the next backup is created? Surely that's not a reliable method to back up any type of data.