Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 44
  1. #1

    Thumbs down JaguarPC... What a Joke

    We are disappointed. We were wooed with their sales b.s.

    We were very thorough in picking a host. I thought we had shopped around. We wanted servers in the U.S. we wanted tech support in the U.S. We wanted tech support by phone 24/7, not the type of tech support where you get a csr on the phone and they put in a ticket. We wanted a real tech on the phone. This is what I thought we were getting with Jaguar PC. Were we disappointed.

    Over the phone we asked questions to Nick Rose and a guy named Jim. They told us tech support was in Texas and all servers were in the U.S. This was only partially true. They tech support is in Pakistan. I felt bamboozled to find this out after I signed up and paid one year in advance.

    On a shared server it was going down every day. EVERY DAY. I can't stress that enough so I will say it again, EVERY DAY OUR SERVER WAS GOING DOWN. It was going down for short spans, e.g. 1 minute, 4 minutes, etc. By the time tech support got to the ticket we put in the site was back up and they (tech support) made us feel stupid with comments such as, "Your site did not go down", etc. Because of this we enlisted a software that would monitor how many times during the day our site would go down. However, they would not provide us with an email address so that we could send them the reports so they could match our findings to their server reports.

    When we asked (through ticket) to speak with a manager because we wanted to move and wanted our money back for the time we did not use for hosting they told us to put in a ticket for sales. We did this and they refused to give us back the money for the time unused. So then we decided to call them on the phone.

    We left several messages for sales to call us back over a period of one week. No one ever called us back. We contacted the Better Business Bureau and got the email of their company president, Greg Landis. We emailed him two times. He did not respond to our emails.

    Finally we got Nick Rose on the phone after one of our employees called them yelling at a sales rep that finally answered. He was hospitable but only for a bit. He promised to be our point of contact for problems occurring. Soon after this he disappeared. We have more issues with the server.

    This is extremely frustrating because we were reading some of the reviews on another forum BEFORE we signed up with Jaguar PC and they had no complaints. For them, everything was very good. It is so frustrating because I'm realizing there are so many fake posts on these forums. Why isn't our experience with JaguarPC like those "happy people"?

    It is a pain to move. We want a host we can grow with forever. Is this too much to ask? I hate thinking now about the search I have to start this weekend looking for a new host and the money I lost paying JaguarPC for shotty service.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    517
    Sounds like you should have bought a VPS...

    Thank you for your review, however. They were one of the hosts I was considering.
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

    http://totalwebcentral.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,246
    I am sorry to hear that, but my only suggestion would be: don't pay for a full year. Go with a month first, see if they are what you want, then ask to be put up to a full year
    Crissic Solutions, LLC - Affordable VPS Solutions.
    Our business is based on Honesty & Transparency!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14
    If the server is going down constantly and you are not getting anything workarounds by them then I would suggest looking elsewhere. They should of in the least allowed you to move to another server. My advice would be to backup your files and move to a different host. Don't pay yearly, pay monthly, this way you do not suffer a financial loss if you decide to leave early.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by WHC - Travis View Post
    Sounds like you should have bought a VPS...

    Thank you for your review, however. They were one of the hosts I was considering.
    We moved to a VPS and are still having server problems. We thought the VPS would be the fix. It was not.

    The key in all of this is never pay for one full year no matter how good the deal is.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    237
    Jag has never had support over the phone that I know of. If you get lucky one of the sales reps will have support knowledge as well and be able to help you. It says directly on their site that the phone isnt for support. So unfortunately thats not quite something you can hold against them. However I'm not sure why the representatives would tell you that support is based in the US. Thats easy to find out if its true or not since its not hidden if you search their forums or even around here that its not US based.

    Overall it seems you went into the contract with high hopes and expectations and then unfortunately the service was unable to meet them.

    Only recommendation I would make is that when you are doing your research for your next host and you do your presales contacts with them and ask all your questions - take it that one step further and verify all the information provided to you by the company to make sure that its all true. Sometimes a host is a bit .."biased" in favor of their company and will promise anything to get a client in the door. Google is your friend - its hard to hide bad reviews these days - so google the host name + bad and see what happens.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,911
    I am also frustrated with Jaguarpc at the moment. I have been a client of theirs for about 7 months now (leaving this month) and customer service/support has been horrible. I put in a reboot request and it takes them an hour to reboot the server. Their reason why is because Gnax Techs are to slow to reboot the box.

    Just the past 3-4 weeks its been a nightmare.
    -Two Reboot Request which took an hour to do.
    -Tried to charge me $30.00 for fixing an issue with clientexec installation (charging by the hour). I told them to just do a fresh install which is $15.00 to avoid a time rate fee.
    -Server going down twice in 13 days.


    Here is an example of what I mean....

    Reboot Request one and please note the times:
    + + + Client + + + : Matt.Giling 2008-01-31 / 09:30:56
    sample URL:
    I am unable to access my server.
    Login credentials required to troubleshoot the issue:
    ----------
    - SYSTEM - - - 2008-01-31 / 09:35:37
    A customer service representative has begun working on this issue.
    ----------
    - - - Tech - - - : Alex.M. 2008-01-31 / 10:39:11

    Hi,

    Server is up, Please verify this at your end.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Regards,


    + + + Client + + + : Matt.Giling 2008-01-31 / 10:39:35

    Hey Alex,

    Its back up but what was the issue for it taking an hour to reboot?


    - - - SYSTEM - - - 2008-01-31 / 10:46:36
    A customer service representative has begun working on this issue.

    - - - Tech - - - : Smith. 2008-01-31 / 10:47:56
    The tech at DataCenter didn't see any issue with the server so just rebooted it. The reboot requests are handled on turn basis by the data center techs.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Regards,
    Smith
    + + + Client + + + : Matt.Giling 2008-01-31 / 10:50:08
    Thanks Smith but an hour to reboot a server? Do you offer reboot ports?


    - - - SYSTEM - - - 2008-01-31 / 11:18:05
    A customer service representative has begun working on this issue.

    - - - Tech - - - : Smith. 2008-01-31 / 11:20:06
    I can understand that its quite a long time for just a reboot. Can't say for sure what was the reason for the delay. Yes, we do offer remote reboot switches through APC for $10 per month.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Regards,
    Smith
    ============================


    I would also like to leave a note this was about 3:00 a.m. eastern time when I was having to deal with this.
    Last edited by @Matt; 02-28-2008 at 12:06 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by HostLayer View Post
    If the server is going down constantly and you are not getting anything workarounds by them then I would suggest looking elsewhere. They should of in the least allowed you to move to another server. My advice would be to backup your files and move to a different host. Don't pay yearly, pay monthly, this way you do not suffer a financial loss if you decide to leave early.
    Would like to disagree with you mate. Some hosts will even refund the remaining amount of money or do pro rated refund, but never thought Greg's ship would sink so bad that they refusing to refund ?I guess i moved away from them at the right time !!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,889
    Just a couple notes.

    First of all, calm down. If you were yelling at the person or behaving in the tone of this post I can see why they may not have been too cooperative or helpful.

    Second, a SHARED hosting server going down for 1-5 minutes a day is not that unusual. That would still be around 99.9% uptime for the month, which considering you're getting 200GB+ of bandwidth and 17GB of space for less than $9 a month isn't all that bad. Simply put you are not going to get 100% uptime with a shared host, that is just the nature of it all, one bad apple can ruin it for everyone and with the numerous web server reboots to load new configurations with all the changes, etc. some downtime is bound to happen.

    Finally, most hosts will refund for unused portions of the billing period and I personally feel they all should, but you need to read the terms of service of your host to determine whether that is or isn't the case with that specific host.

    Note: I agree, that being ignored, having support tickets go days without answers, being told they'll follow up with you and dropping off the face of the earth are completely unacceptable. What I am trying to do though is give you some points to help assure this doesn't happen again. Sure, the fault may largely by with the host, but there are also almost always things the customer can do as well to prevent bad situations. It takes both sides to be on the same page for the relationship to work.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Northern Europe.
    Posts
    2,571
    I've seen some postitives here On JaguarPC, I recall. The problem is that even if 99 out of 100 people have a positive experience with a host, there's always the 100'th one that is *not* happy with them. Maybe they have unrealistic expectations, or maybe they just have "bad luck".

    Also, the quality of a host can change over time -- sometimes surprisingly fast...
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredMom View Post
    Jag has never had support over the phone that I know of. If you get lucky one of the sales reps will have support knowledge as well and be able to help you. It says directly on their site that the phone isnt for support. So unfortunately thats not quite something you can hold against them. However I'm not sure why the representatives would tell you that support is based in the US. Thats easy to find out if its true or not since its not hidden if you search their forums or even around here that its not US based.

    Overall it seems you went into the contract with high hopes and expectations and then unfortunately the service was unable to meet them.

    Only recommendation I would make is that when you are doing your research for your next host and you do your presales contacts with them and ask all your questions - take it that one step further and verify all the information provided to you by the company to make sure that its all true. Sometimes a host is a bit .."biased" in favor of their company and will promise anything to get a client in the door. Google is your friend - its hard to hide bad reviews these days - so google the host name + bad and see what happens.
    Thanks for your suggestion. However, I don't think my "high hopes" were "high hopes". Outsourcing tech support is not a major deal breaker for me as long as that tech support is competent. My expectation is that when I submit a ticket, you read the entire ticket before you reply, especially if you were not the originating tech working on the issue. When I worked at Gateway as desktop tech support, that was a job requirement.

    Additionally, when a site goes down daily, I don't care if it is for 1 minute, it is not a "high hope" to expect less down time.

    If these demands I have stated in this single post is a "high hope" I guess I will never be able to find a hosting company that wants to exceed, above and beyond in satisfying me.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.G View Post
    I am also frustrated with Jaguarpc at the moment. I have been a client of theirs for about 7 months now (leaving this month) and customer service/support has been horrible. I put in a reboot request and it takes them an hour to reboot the server. Their reason why is because Gnax Techs are to slow to reboot the box.

    Just the past 3-4 weeks its been a nightmare.
    -Two Reboot Request which took an hour to do.
    -Tried to charge me $30.00 for fixing an issue with clientexec installation (charging by the hour). I told them to just do a fresh install which is $15.00 to avoid a time rate fee.
    -Server going down twice in 13 days.


    Here is an example of what I mean....

    Reboot Request one and please note the times:
    + + + Client + + + : Matt.Giling 2008-01-31 / 09:30:56
    sample URL:
    I am unable to access my server.
    Login credentials required to troubleshoot the issue:
    ----------
    - SYSTEM - - - 2008-01-31 / 09:35:37
    A customer service representative has begun working on this issue.
    ----------
    - - - Tech - - - : Alex.M. 2008-01-31 / 10:39:11

    Hi,

    Server is up, Please verify this at your end.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Regards,


    + + + Client + + + : Matt.Giling 2008-01-31 / 10:39:35

    Hey Alex,

    Its back up but what was the issue for it taking an hour to reboot?


    - - - SYSTEM - - - 2008-01-31 / 10:46:36
    A customer service representative has begun working on this issue.

    - - - Tech - - - : Smith. 2008-01-31 / 10:47:56
    The tech at DataCenter didn't see any issue with the server so just rebooted it. The reboot requests are handled on turn basis by the data center techs.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Regards,
    Smith
    + + + Client + + + : Matt.Giling 2008-01-31 / 10:50:08
    Thanks Smith but an hour to reboot a server? Do you offer reboot ports?


    - - - SYSTEM - - - 2008-01-31 / 11:18:05
    A customer service representative has begun working on this issue.

    - - - Tech - - - : Smith. 2008-01-31 / 11:20:06
    I can understand that its quite a long time for just a reboot. Can't say for sure what was the reason for the delay. Yes, we do offer remote reboot switches through APC for $10 per month.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Regards,
    Smith
    ============================


    I would also like to leave a note this was about 3:00 a.m. eastern time when I was having to deal with this.
    I think they respond to all the tickets the same. These answers are so familiar with how they answer my tickets.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Just a couple notes.

    First of all, calm down. If you were yelling at the person or behaving in the tone of this post I can see why they may not have been too cooperative or helpful.

    Second, a SHARED hosting server going down for 1-5 minutes a day is not that unusual. That would still be around 99.9% uptime for the month, which considering you're getting 200GB+ of bandwidth and 17GB of space for less than $9 a month isn't all that bad. Simply put you are not going to get 100% uptime with a shared host, that is just the nature of it all, one bad apple can ruin it for everyone and with the numerous web server reboots to load new configurations with all the changes, etc. some downtime is bound to happen.

    Finally, most hosts will refund for unused portions of the billing period and I personally feel they all should, but you need to read the terms of service of your host to determine whether that is or isn't the case with that specific host.

    Note: I agree, that being ignored, having support tickets go days without answers, being told they'll follow up with you and dropping off the face of the earth are completely unacceptable. What I am trying to do though is give you some points to help assure this doesn't happen again. Sure, the fault may largely by with the host, but there are also almost always things the customer can do as well to prevent bad situations. It takes both sides to be on the same page for the relationship to work.
    Thanks for your input. However, we were and still as more than agreeable. When we got on the phone with Nick, the employee advised him that we want to stay, just please do not ignore us and fix the issue.

    How many customers will say, "Despite you treating me like hell and ignoring me and oh...not fixing the issue, we want to stay because we want this relationship to work if you can get your act together"? I can't name one...oh yea I can, us!

    As far as tone is concerned, when you are very calm in the beginning then middle ways, still calm, at the end moderately calm and still no change or help, you will eventually snap. Where are lot of these non customer service knowing about hosting companies fail is in learning from customers that are having problems. This may save you from losing other customers...this is if you really give a hoot about saving customers and growing your business.

    You can not expect a customer to put in a ticket regularly for the same issue, have that ticket ignored or coddled with "your server is up now" and remain calm 6 months or more down the line. If you really expect your customer to have the same gracious tone they had with the first couple of tickets, you have, as borrowed from WiredMom, "high hopes".

    Basically, the review I left was the truth. There are many random posts on here for several different hosting spies, yes spies or gimps that will claim a company is a great company. I'm giving you the bad.

    It seems like I am not alone. Matt also has a bad experience.

    Of course, with every company there will be good and bad. If you are deciding on this company, it is your choice. I'm saying, read the good and the bad and do not pay for it yearly. We have learned that you must work for our business monthly. Even though it is a pain to pack and move, if you know I'll grab my stuff and go like Matt is doing, maybe you will work harder to keep me. Maybe you will read the ticket in full and not waste my time with stuff I've already said.

    We have had more issues with this company I haven't even listed on here. I won't say them because we are still with them. When we move next month I'll tell you the silly things they did they say "in error" consistently which potentially hurt us.

    So, would I recommend them, no. This is my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,571
    If one minute of downtime per day is disasterous for you, I highly recommend going dedicated. Shared hosting of any type (VPS, non-VPS, no matter) is NOT uptime critical.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by WHC - Travis View Post
    Sounds like you should have bought a VPS...

    Thank you for your review, however. They were one of the hosts I was considering.
    I am not sure why. There is no indication in his post that his sites are better served by a VPS.
    Last edited by FHDave; 02-28-2008 at 08:08 AM.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Second, a SHARED hosting server going down for 1-5 minutes a day is not that unusual.
    Why would it be unusual?

    Even 2 minute per day service outage will drop uptime to less 99.9%.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    If one minute of downtime per day is disasterous for you, I highly recommend going dedicated. Shared hosting of any type (VPS, non-VPS, no matter) is NOT uptime critical.
    We are on a VPS now. Still have issues.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    If one minute of downtime per day is disasterous for you, I highly recommend going dedicated. Shared hosting of any type (VPS, non-VPS, no matter) is NOT uptime critical.
    Depends on the host. Some undersold, over-capacity shared environments can provide 100% uptime and keep par with a dedicated solution. Just don't expect it for sub $10/month hosting.

    - John C.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    root
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by mallumama View Post
    We are disappointed. We were wooed with their sales b.s.

    We were very thorough in picking a host. I thought we had shopped around. We wanted servers in the U.S. we wanted tech support in the U.S. We wanted tech support by phone 24/7, not the type of tech support where you get a csr on the phone and they put in a ticket. We wanted a real tech on the phone. This is what I thought we were getting with Jaguar PC. Were we disappointed.

    Over the phone we asked questions to Nick Rose and a guy named Jim. They told us tech support was in Texas and all servers were in the U.S. This was only partially true. They tech support is in Pakistan. I felt bamboozled to find this out after I signed up and paid one year in advance.

    On a shared server it was going down every day. EVERY DAY. I can't stress that enough so I will say it again, EVERY DAY OUR SERVER WAS GOING DOWN. It was going down for short spans, e.g. 1 minute, 4 minutes, etc. By the time tech support got to the ticket we put in the site was back up and they (tech support) made us feel stupid with comments such as, "Your site did not go down", etc. Because of this we enlisted a software that would monitor how many times during the day our site would go down. However, they would not provide us with an email address so that we could send them the reports so they could match our findings to their server reports.

    When we asked (through ticket) to speak with a manager because we wanted to move and wanted our money back for the time we did not use for hosting they told us to put in a ticket for sales. We did this and they refused to give us back the money for the time unused. So then we decided to call them on the phone.

    We left several messages for sales to call us back over a period of one week. No one ever called us back. We contacted the Better Business Bureau and got the email of their company president, Greg Landis. We emailed him two times. He did not respond to our emails.

    Finally we got Nick Rose on the phone after one of our employees called them yelling at a sales rep that finally answered. He was hospitable but only for a bit. He promised to be our point of contact for problems occurring. Soon after this he disappeared. We have more issues with the server.

    This is extremely frustrating because we were reading some of the reviews on another forum BEFORE we signed up with Jaguar PC and they had no complaints. For them, everything was very good. It is so frustrating because I'm realizing there are so many fake posts on these forums. Why isn't our experience with JaguarPC like those "happy people"?

    It is a pain to move. We want a host we can grow with forever. Is this too much to ask? I hate thinking now about the search I have to start this weekend looking for a new host and the money I lost paying JaguarPC for shotty service.
    I took a day off work due to personal reasons, with over 300 emails to answer I was writing you back, I am far from avoiding you.
    Nick Rose | BudgetVM
    BudgetVM Xen VPS with Solus
    Asia and Europe Hosting Specialists
    LA to Asia <150MS | Amsterdam within Europe <60MS

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    96
    Man...I thought I was being overly cautious in doing my research for a host/reseller provider. I was checking out Jaguar PC for a while, but moved them down my short list.

    Seems like taking a few months and doing as much reading and sales querying as one can has it's merits.

    ...though I know no one company will have 100 percent customer satisfaction.

    Still, you can learn alot from other's experiences.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    root
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampdoria View Post
    Man...I thought I was being overly cautious in doing my research for a host/reseller provider. I was checking out Jaguar PC for a while, but moved them down my short list.

    Seems like taking a few months and doing as much reading and sales querying as one can has it's merits.

    ...though I know no one company will have 100 percent customer satisfaction.

    Still, you can learn alot from other's experiences.
    Honestly most of her issues have been resolved and the main problem was she has been directly corresponding with me, and I took a personal day yesterday.
    Nick Rose | BudgetVM
    BudgetVM Xen VPS with Solus
    Asia and Europe Hosting Specialists
    LA to Asia <150MS | Amsterdam within Europe <60MS

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by mallumama View Post
    Thanks for your input. However, we were and still as more than agreeable. When we got on the phone with Nick, the employee advised him that we want to stay, just please do not ignore us and fix the issue.

    How many customers will say, "Despite you treating me like hell and ignoring me and oh...not fixing the issue, we want to stay because we want this relationship to work if you can get your act together"? I can't name one...oh yea I can, us!

    As far as tone is concerned, when you are very calm in the beginning then middle ways, still calm, at the end moderately calm and still no change or help, you will eventually snap. Where are lot of these non customer service knowing about hosting companies fail is in learning from customers that are having problems. This may save you from losing other customers...this is if you really give a hoot about saving customers and growing your business.

    You can not expect a customer to put in a ticket regularly for the same issue, have that ticket ignored or coddled with "your server is up now" and remain calm 6 months or more down the line. If you really expect your customer to have the same gracious tone they had with the first couple of tickets, you have, as borrowed from WiredMom, "high hopes".
    The issue is, you may have submitted tickets for a long time that don't get answered, or called and not gotten an answer, but every time you contact them you may be talking to a different person, a person that may not be aware of the issue or your previous problems. If you just initially start with an upset tone with them they will be less likely to help you, simple as that. People simply need to be mindful of that fact. If it is the same person you've dealt with previously and has ignored your calmer tone then by all means, get a more stern tone with them.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    Why would it be unusual?

    Even 2 minute per day service outage will drop uptime to less 99.9%.
    I am not aware of any shared hosts that don't have their 1-5 minutes of regular downtime/extreme slowness. Sure, it may not be every day, but it still happens.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley View Post
    Depends on the host. Some undersold, over-capacity shared environments can provide 100% uptime and keep par with a dedicated solution. Just don't expect it for sub $10/month hosting.

    - John C.
    What shared host can provide 100% uptime? I don't even know any networks that I could say provide 100% uptime, they have all had SOME downtime.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    What shared host can provide 100% uptime? I don't even know any networks that I could say provide 100% uptime, they have all had SOME downtime.
    I did not mean guaranteed 100% uptime for eternity or anything like that, but the server being up and running 100% of the time as compared to a dedicated server on that same network (i.e. excluding scheduled maintenance, kernel upgrades, etc... as would the case on any server) is not hard to achieve if the shared environment is setup correctly and vigilantly monitored.

    We've got shared servers with uptimes exceeding 700 days (without any services being overloaded, crashed, etc..). I'm not saying the network is a guaranteed 100% uptime, just pointing out that properly managed undersold shared servers can run just as well as a dedicated server.

    - John C.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,280
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley View Post

    We've got shared servers with uptimes exceeding 700 days (without any services being overloaded, crashed, etc..). I'm not saying the network is a guaranteed 100% uptime, just pointing out that properly managed undersold shared servers can run just as well as a dedicated server.

    - John C.
    We do as well on hundreds of servers with many others that also have awesome uptimes in the hundreds of days. With a large volume of servers, even with low problem ratios, you'll still have something to work through all the time. We've been here 10 yrs and do have a massive satisfied client base. Consistency is important in this rapid changing business. If all hardware, software, clients, and everything in the world were perfect, Id love it. We could live without a support, admin, abuse, blah blah series of people and Id lay out back sipping drinks all day.

    Im not making excuses, and Im sorry someone had this bad experience. We will, as we always do, try to make it right when theres a problem. You will eventually upset someone and make mistakes because its just not a perfect world and people arent perfect.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley View Post
    I did not mean guaranteed 100% uptime for eternity or anything like that, but the server being up and running 100% of the time as compared to a dedicated server on that same network (i.e. excluding scheduled maintenance, kernel upgrades, etc... as would the case on any server) is not hard to achieve if the shared environment is setup correctly and vigilantly monitored.

    We've got shared servers with uptimes exceeding 700 days (without any services being overloaded, crashed, etc..). I'm not saying the network is a guaranteed 100% uptime, just pointing out that properly managed undersold shared servers can run just as well as a dedicated server.

    - John C.
    I agree, shared hosting can be kept in line with the reliability of a dedicated server, but that is not 100% uptime. Hardware failure, data corruption, network issues, service specific issues, etc. can all happen to both, which means they do not have 100% uptime.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley View Post
    I did not mean guaranteed 100% uptime for eternity or anything like that, but the server being up and running 100% of the time as compared to a dedicated server on that same network (i.e. excluding scheduled maintenance, kernel upgrades, etc... as would the case on any server) is not hard to achieve if the shared environment is setup correctly and vigilantly monitored.

    We've got shared servers with uptimes exceeding 700 days (without any services being overloaded, crashed, etc..). I'm not saying the network is a guaranteed 100% uptime, just pointing out that properly managed undersold shared servers can run just as well as a dedicated server.

    - John C.
    Preach it.



    Kind Regards,

  29. #29
    Does Jaguar PC have support in Pakistan? This is what caught my eye.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,280
    Yes, we have people in US, Canada, Pakistan, UK, Aus. Think thats about it. We hire contractors from all over if they are the most qualified. Why?
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

  31. #31
    I wonder as the OP stated that *he was under the impression to get an "all american host". (Personlly I have no opinion on you outsourcing your services.)

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    326
    If a web host is constantly have a server go down "DAILY" for more than a few minutes, I would wonder if the servers are managed correctly.

    I understand that you probably won't get 100% uptime all the time. I don't mind having say 30 minutes of down time in one day compared to DAILY down times. To me when a server is going down daily, there is something very wrong. If the server is managed properly, it shouldn't be going down daily!!

    Just my 2 cents worth
    Charles

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley View Post
    I did not mean guaranteed 100% uptime for eternity or anything like that, but the server being up and running 100% of the time as compared to a dedicated server on that same network (i.e. excluding scheduled maintenance, kernel upgrades, etc... as would the case on any server) is not hard to achieve if the shared environment is setup correctly and vigilantly monitored.

    We've got shared servers with uptimes exceeding 700 days (without any services being overloaded, crashed, etc..). I'm not saying the network is a guaranteed 100% uptime, just pointing out that properly managed undersold shared servers can run just as well as a dedicated server.

    - John C.
    700 days uptime?

    Have you don't any kernel, php, mysql, etc... upgrades during that 700 days of uptime?
    Charles

  34. #34
    Hey, if you got a stable platform why ruin it with an update? Plus Apache and PHP does not require the box to be restarted. So if he is saying the box has been up for 700 days it might be possible.

    But then again a lot has changed in two years...
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

  35. #35
    @kevworks you must be kidding?!!

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    530
    My thoughts exactly Henrik

    *Makes mental note to never get hosting from kevworks*
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

    Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato

  37. #37
    No internet sarcasm huh? I guess it only works in person.

    Lol. Obviously I think 700 days is crazy... I mean two years... hardware alone has changed so much in two years.

    Relax. Hah.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

  38. #38
    Considering that recent "fire", I wouldn't put sarcasm on option one when I read your posts. Sorry lad.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Considering that recent "fire", I wouldn't put sarcasm on option one when I read your posts. Sorry lad.
    I won't comment on that other than to say the fire theory is BS, last time got me in a wee bit of trouble
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

  40. #40
    Yes the fire is a big set back... I am not going to hide from that. I recovered and I moved on. If you keep bringing it up in every topic I discuss then what are you gaining? Satisfaction that you are not giving my hosting services a chance? Are you trying to save people by not using my services? I have many clients that are satisfied and even after this incident still remain loyal because I am dedicated to providing them the best service I can for their money.

    But the truth is there are a lot of companies out there that are still running redhat 9 with boxes with 1200 day up times. They serve simple html web pages and host samba shares. I know this because companies have asked me if they can upgrade rh9's samba to work with vista's authentication methods.

    So my point is if its stable why change? But obviously in web hosting everything needs to be cutting edge.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •