Does 3D secure lose you business?

The title says it all,
    With the new extra process for customers to go through at the payment stage do customers not understand or like the 3D secure?
    I understand the reason for it, i also know that it has kept fraudulant transactions to an all time low - but at what cost? we certainly have never had so many people pull out of a purchase for all manner of reasons than ever before.

When i contact them to ask what the problem was they say it was the 3D secure.

Have you experienced the same?
    I have a page on my site to explain how it works but i don't think customers read it much.

Iain

I had the issue once when checking out so I just decided to stop.

Before the checkout process, you might explain how the system works and if you can - offer the consumer both ways to check out. This might help with some of the process.

Some businesses must use 3DSecure. There is very bad policy about chargebacks. You may do them continuously. Here is an example:
    - you charged a customer and provide a service
    - then the customer asks for a chargeback with the note "service not provided"
    - you show to your acquiring bank evidences that the service was provided actually and the bank accepted them. No chargeback at this moment.
    - and later you get the chargeback on the transaction with the note "Fraud" and now you can't change anything.

It is the very idiotic situation.
    Credit card processing, online check/ACH and EuroDebit payment solutions for the Internet merchants
    www.psbill.com

if your customers are real cardholders they should not worry about their payment , its just hard for fraudulent to place order with 3d secure system

I am actually surprised at all the fuzz with 3D Secure and why people avoid it.

I have one card that I have enrolled in 3D Secure which I use quite frequently to purchase online.

When all payment data is filled out I get routed to another page to simply write down my passowrd for 3D Secure and then it is done.

Sometimes it is a little bit slow when routed but thats it.

What is the hard part in doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Card Expert View Post
    I am actually surprised at all the fuzz with 3D Secure and why people avoid it.

I have one card that I have enrolled in 3D Secure which I use quite frequently to purchase online.

When all payment data is filled out I get routed to another page to simply write down my passowrd for 3D Secure and then it is done.

Sometimes it is a little bit slow when routed but thats it.

What is the hard part in doing that?
    Hi, I totally agree, when i get customers complain that they can't use the 3Dsecure i go and test with my card, it's so simple and easy.
    The problem is people can make such a meal of things or are so uncapable. Customers don't know it's Visa or Mastercard that are asking for the password, some have asked why do my company ask for it? some customers have said that the 3D secure have asked for characters 1, 3 and 7 in their password but the customer only has 6 characters. Others don't know how to register a password BUT the main one is that customers have forgotten the password.
    We are all Internet literate but a lot of people are'nt - i have 2 pages on my website explaing how it works but these days people don't READ, my website is successful because i have lots of great pictures and bullet points which are easy to read. But the pages with a few paragraphs hardly get read

I would rather say no to customers like that because they are obviously a big risk.

The slightest thing they wouldnt understand would be subject for a potential chargeback.

Could be that they forgot where they have purchased the item, not being satisfied etc.

I would rather say no to customers like that because they are obviously a big risk.

The slightest thing they wouldnt understand would be subject for a potential chargeback.

Could be that they forgot where they have purchased the item, not being satisfied etc.
    If i said no to these customers then i would lose a lot of money, I am proud to say i have never had a chargeback EVER. I just guide them through or get them to pay by cheque, but i do inform them that if they want to keep buying ONLINE then soon they will have to get used to it and learn how it works.

Good Call :-)

at UK2 we let clients decide themselves - if they use 3dsecure, they are setup right away automatically, if not, they will be screened manually and setup time might be up to 24 hours.

...clients like instant setup

d
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Eming; what is your ratio between 3D Secure and non 3D secure transactions?

Does your customers see a hassle with 3D Secure?

Eming; what is your ratio between 3D Secure and non 3D secure transactions?

Does your customers see a hassle with 3D Secure?
    not sure what the ratio is - i'd say 70% or so on 3D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

I have seen several cases where merchants have lost conversions after implementing 3DS, but most agree its worth it to reduce chargebacks (and the costs associated with them).
    Dave
    PH: 800-761-7475
    PH: 802-876-5087
    www.RiskPayments.com