Setting up dual (HSRP) connections??

My colo center can setup Cisco HSRP for added redundancy. If I have them do this I will have two ethernet connections running in my rack, as opposed to one. Would I then just run them into a switch and hook the switch to the server?

[INTERNET]----[FIREWALL]-------
    /////////////////////////////////|[SWTICH]--------[SERVER]
    [INTERNET]----[FIREWALL]-------

You either need a switch that supports the features needed to work with HSRP or believe it or not a cheap little 5 port HUB (not switch) can have the same effect.
    Sitestash, LLC.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated / Colo

Older Cisco switches are cheap and all of them do this. If you don't have one, pick one up on ebay. Probably if you don't know how to deal with it the quickest and easiest way to get HSRP set up is to pay your colo provider to do it. Shouldn't take them long.

Most colos (or at least mine) are reluctant to do this because they'd have to give up two edge ports (either router or switch) instead of one, and the way colos are structured they tend to put a pretty high cost on each edge port.
    System administration, application development, and project management.
    http://erek.blumenthals.com/blog/

Yeah my colo will set it up for an extra $100 a month, but all they will do is run the two ethernet cables to my rack. From there I have to connect them to my server and I was trying to figure the best way to do this. I was guessing just have a firewall for each one then run them into a switch, with a line running to the server. Is there a better way to get hooked up to my server on my end??

HSRP is a virtual address.

Router 1 - 1.1.1.1
    Router 2 - 1.1.1.2
    Virtual address 1.1.1.3

You'd then plug both cables from the routers into a switch. They send hellos to each other and one will take priority and will assume the role of the virtual address 1.1.1.3

All you then need to do make sure your server gateway is 1.1.1.3 and you have a redundant gateway without having to change things in the event one of the boxes fails. Then you should think about having dual switches with dual uplinks between then and a cable from the server plugged into either switch for total redundancy.
    ...loading

HSRP is Cisco-specific, so you have to have hardware that supports this. VRRP is the more open protocol that achieves the same thing outside of the Cisco world. Either way, you'll have to have hardware which supports this.

-Chris

If your provider is giving you a HSPR hand off, you don't need anything special on your end. You configure your servers to use the virtual gateway, and should one of their routers die, traffic will automatically get rerouted through the other one.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.