hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : How to disable friendly error message?

Forum Jump

How to disable friendly error message?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM

How to disable friendly error message?

Hi,
I kept getting the "friendly error" below even though i'd disabled it on the client browser (this prove that my client browser is not the problem). i purposely coded a simple script wrongly to get the detail error, but to no avail. I believe it has to do with the server setting.

Can you advise if there's any setting/configuration in the server that might cause this? Without the detail error, it will be impossible for me to debug what is wrong with my asp script.

Some of the stuffs that i'd checked on server.
1) The ISS has been set to send detail errors.
2) It is recognizing the .asp extension (approve) - else, the asp page wouldnt even work.

Been debugging this for few nights already, any help are very much appreciated.

The error example:
-----------------------------------------------------
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

That is not a "friendly" error message, that is the standard error message. That is as detailed as it gets. You won't find any more detailed information without investigating your server's error logs.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the tip. I'd finally able to resolve it.

The issue is that, the error 500 is customized to point to an .html file that shows the error as i'd attached earlier. By disabling it in ISS (or i'd renamed the physical file that it's pointing to), since the .html file is no longer available, i'd gotten the detail error message

Sponsored Links

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Unusual DNS Error Leads to Internet Outage in China Web Hosting News 2014-01-21 12:16:24
Lengthy Outages for Hacker News, FastHosts Web Hosting News 2014-01-06 09:56:36
Data Storage Corporation Acquires Message Logic Email Archiving Software Web Hosting News 2013-07-22 08:58:32
Web Host SoftLayer Launches Message Queue Service for Scalable Software System Communication Web Hosting News 2012-09-13 17:26:30
Web Hosting Talk Message Board Back Online Following DDoS Attack Web Hosting News 2012-09-12 11:59:42