Process Limit Exceeded for UID

I have seen some hosting provider limit the number of process per user id. Usually its shows an Internal Server error with the error message saying "Process Limit Exceeded For UID ******", how can i do this in my vps?

Any help would be appreciated
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by hadrick View Post
    I have seen some hosting provider limit the number of process per user id. Usually its shows an Internal Server error with the error message saying "Process Limit Exceeded For UID ******", how can i do this in my vps?

Any help would be appreciated
    This depends on your OS + VPS of choice. Some VPS' give you more fine grained controls than others.

If you're using Linux, by default you have ulimits, but in terms of CPU bound restrictions, this is fairly limited. In general it limits the time that a process can run for. Again, ulimits are limited, and are generally applied per-session not per-UID.

Solaris has a SRM (Solaris Resource Manager) which has _much_ more control over process / CPU based limits on a per-uid basis also. That costs $$$ though

For Linux there are (or were at least) unofficial patches to the kernel to allow more fine grained control. However, I'd be wary of trusting these in a "normal" scenario, much less a VPS.

Phil.
    Want me for contracting? Please read

http://www.brassy.net/contracting/

This depends on your OS + VPS of choice. Some VPS' give you more fine grained controls than others.
    Basically, i m thinking to use limits.conf (PAM) to do it who can do it per UID. Though i have two question regarding this:

1. Does apache run as shell resource? If then the limit will also apply the nobody? Which i don't want to do.
    2. I use suphp, it runs the php file on UID, and basically i want to limit these processes which runs with php command and run under specific UID. So does suphp runs php files as shell resources?

If the files are not going to run as shell resources then unfortunately limits.conf wont work
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.