Dumbest question ever asked about MSN messenger patch...

I use MSN messenger and customize it with Mess Patch from www.mess.be

The latest version has a feature to distinguish between "idle" and "away".

It might be a brain deficiency but I fail to see the difference between "idle" and "away"???

To me the "away" status shows up once I have not touched my computer for 10 minutes... so what exactly is "idle"? Isn't it the same thing?

Idle is for when your computer is idle because you're not using it. MSN is supposed to automatically go into this mode. Away has to be explicitly set by the user themselves.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

But "away" does NOT have to be set explicitly by the user themselves as it always goes to "away" status (and always has) once you have been inactive on your computer for 10 minutes or 15 minutes (I have forgotten what the default minute setting is). Then once you move your mouse it quickly changes to "online" status.

I still fail to see the difference between "away" and "idle" with msn messenger. It's the same thing.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    But "away" does NOT have to be set explicitly by the user themselves as it always goes to "away" status (and always has) once you have been inactive on your computer for 10 minutes or 15 minutes (I have forgotten what the default minute setting is). Then once you move your mouse it quickly changes to "online" status.

I still fail to see the difference between "away" and "idle" with msn messenger. It's the same thing.
    It's not the same thing. The difference is that someone can manually set themselves to "away" while still not actually being idle. For example if someone did not want to be disturbed, they could set their status to "away" and still be at their computer. Being able to see idle gives you the ability to distinguish if someone is "really" away or not.

Of course, unofficial MSN clients sometimes allow you to disable idle reporting as well, so it's not always reliable.

Hope that helps.

Thanks ^^^ I wondered about that too

OffshoreNetworks,

I see thanks... yes that is what I was thinking the only difference might be because I noticed there was no way for me to set my status to "idle"... unless I was *really* away.

Save yourself the frustration and download pidgin.im

you can be on your computer, and have not initiated conversation with anyone but not be away. hence the distinction between idle and away.
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

MSN Answer

Idel - computer is idle (not used))
    Away - your away from MSN, as in using another app
    Cheap hosting, not cheap service:
    http://www.aqns-hosting.com

Interesting, somebody here mentioned pidgin.im

I have never even heard of that one before. I will download it today and check it out. I have always used trillian for multiple IM'ing support. I wonder how it compares to trillian.

Well actuall I found digsby.com the other day and I find it to be even better than pidgin.

I've used trillian astra and trillian 3.1 in the past and digsby far exceeds trillian in any category imaginable.

Let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Interesting, somebody here mentioned pidgin.im

I have never even heard of that one before. I will download it today and check it out. I have always used trillian for multiple IM'ing support. I wonder how it compares to trillian.
    Give me a heads up on how it goes, it might be interesting...

Pidgin rocks!

I don't know how it compares in terms of functionality with Trillian (last Trilly I used was 3.1, and they had semi-functional audio/video support, which Pidgin doesn't have); it's actually most likely lacking in terms of features, but it fits in very nicely with Windows theming, and it's pretty lightweight. I personally preferred it over Trillian when I switched over (was Gaim 1.5.0 back then), haven't looked back since.

Check out the OTR plugin for Pidgin as well, and tell your Pidgin/MirandaIM-using friends about it =) Always nice to have encrypted communication channels.

Have you heard about this whole "no net nuetrality" thing they are trying to pass? You mentioned encryption and it reminded me... lame!

Pidgin rocks but digsby is even better!

digsby is sweet, got it a little while ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

To me the "away" status shows up once I have not touched my computer for 10 minutes... so what exactly is "idle"? Isn't it the same thing?
    Hmm, just wondering does it matter what status it changes to ? Does it like hamper your daily chores or activities, if so we need to contact bill gates to come up with a better solution for you frosty.

Its just idle and away basically should not affect your day to day work , if it does its of concern and bill gates is to be held responsible for the same