Anyone used 1TB 32mb sata2 drives?

Anyone used 1TB 32mb sata2 drives? Hows there performance and do they overheat?
    For our NAS/backup server shall we go ahead with 1TB drives or take 500gig/750gig drives?

Work out your cost per GB with each server and also do they all have 32MB caches? 32MB Cache will result in excellent performance.

Lots of drives have 32MB cache these days. Now, do remember that your system usually has a few hundred megabytes of cache, so it's not like 32 will make a huge difference.

I would highly recommend you to go with an array with lower capacity drives. The more data is crammed into a drive, the more chances for magnetic data corruption to occur. There are new studies coming out which show that this is a reality.

I personally try to never buy drives above 250GB for this very reason.

I use them. On a cost per GB they are more expensive. Haven't had any go bad yet. Knock on wood. They don't overheat as far as I can tell, and seem as quick as any other.

We have been using them without any problems so far.

Yeah, I haven't noticed any issues with them here at all. We use all Seagate drives.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by page-zone View Post
    I use them. On a cost per GB they are more expensive. Haven't had any go bad yet. Knock on wood. They don't overheat as far as I can tell, and seem as quick as any other.
    Cost per GB per drive they are, but cost per GB per system, you'll probably find they work out cheaper - as the cost per GB isn't just down to the drives:

4 x 500GB @ 75
    1 x System @ 600
    = 900
    = 0.45/GB

4 x 1TB @ 150
    1 x System @ 600
    = 1200
    = 0.30/GB

We've used Seagate "Enterprise" ones, unfortunately one of them lasted 90 minutes before it died, so I'm not all that impressed.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

At least it died quickly.

Most "bad apples" have failure within the first 24 hours, so I'd consider it a bad apple and not an indicator of a more widespread issue.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

9. Quote Originally Posted by KDAWebServices View Post
    Cost per GB per drive they are, but cost per GB per system, you'll probably find they work out cheaper - as the cost per GB isn't just down to the drives:

4 x 500GB @ 75
    1 x System @ 600
    = 900
    = 0.45/GB

4 x 1TB @ 150
    1 x System @ 600
    = 1200
    = 0.30/GB

We've used Seagate "Enterprise" ones, unfortunately one of them lasted 90 minutes before it died, so I'm not all that impressed.
    isn't WD 500G Raid Edition drive around 60 each over UK? if that's the case, the same 4TB (4x 1TB) capacity will cost you just 480 (60 x8) by using 8x 500G's! doesn't it take the raw cost/GB down to 0.27?

assuming someone is to use 3ware 8-port RAID card (about 75 extra) vs 3ware 4-port RAID card, and supermicro SC825TQ 8-bay chassis (about 40 extra) vs SC815TQ 4-bay, the total cost between 4x 1TB server will be about the same with 8x 500G server! HOWEVER, you are getting much, much higher IO rate from 8x 500G's, regardless you require RAID-5/6/10.

Quote Originally Posted by paulius View Post
    I would highly recommend you to go with an array with lower capacity drives. The more data is crammed into a drive, the more chances for magnetic data corruption to occur. There are new studies coming out which show that this is a reality.

I personally try to never buy drives above 250GB for this very reason.
    That's very interesting! Do you have any link for related article / study?
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing