Thread: My sad tale!

Bill in AZ Guest

* My sad tale!

I manage a couple of domains on a budget mega host. Recently I have had a problem with email that is very odd. The problem started when several clients chastised me for not answering my mail, but of course I had answered them. I looked into the problem and found that if I use outlook express or windows mail for an email client, the host was discarding all the offnet traffic without bounce messages, yet would deliver it to domains that were hosted by them. I then found that if I turned on the spam filtering software the host provided for inbound messages that all OE and WM originated messages were being marked as spam regardless of the originating domain.

If I use a non microsoft client, I do not have the issue. The host told me I should contact Microsoft to determine why this was happening as they do not support third party software such as Microsoft. I duplicated the problems on a clients domain using a test address, so I know it is not account related. As it works ok when using thunderbird, the IP address does not seem to be a factor.

While I understand the need to filter outbound traffic, is it too much to expect that the host provide a bounce message to inform you that they consider your mail as spam and will not send it?

Is it normal for a host to say they will not support Microsoft client products, and to advise me to ask microsoft why the host would mark any mail from microsoft products as spam?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in AZ View Post
    I manage a couple of domains on a budget mega host. Recently I have had a problem with email that is very odd. The problem started when several clients chastised me for not answering my mail, but of course I had answered them. I looked into the problem and found that if I use outlook express or windows mail for an email client, the host was discarding all the offnet traffic without bounce messages, yet would deliver it to domains that were hosted by them. I then found that if I turned on the spam filtering software the host provided for inbound messages that all OE and WM originated messages were being marked as spam regardless of the originating domain.

If I use a non microsoft client, I do not have the issue. The host told me I should contact Microsoft to determine why this was happening as they do not support third party software such as Microsoft. I duplicated the problems on a clients domain using a test address, so I know it is not account related. As it works ok when using thunderbird, the IP address does not seem to be a factor.

While I understand the need to filter outbound traffic, is it too much to expect that the host provide a bounce message to inform you that they consider your mail as spam and will not send it?

Is it normal for a host to say they will not support Microsoft client products, and to advise me to ask microsoft why the host would mark any mail from microsoft products as spam?
    Who is your host?

As for supporting Microsoft products. I think that is expected. Hosts generally will not provide 3rd party software support. This is mainly due to the extra support load and additionally, no 1 host can be an expert in all the available products available.

They should try to troubleshoot to ensure it isn't anything on their side causing it, but once it's 100% confirmed that it is not them, then you are pretty much at the hands of the software vendor as it should be them providing software support anyway.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Bill in AZ Guest
    I will not mention the host name as I am embarrassed to still be with them. Needless to say 3 years ago, they were a reasonable and reliable host before being gobbled by the megahost parent. Anyhow my sad tale continues. After four days of waiting for an answer the host responded they could not duplicate the issue. So I asked myself what was the variable that I had overlooked. I decided that I should examine if the IP address I am using was involved. So I took the show on the road to find an alternate broadband connection, and found out it was. If I source my SMTP traffic from a different broadband provider, all works ok. So I guess it is a combination of my Cable ISP's IP range AND using Microsoft email client products that triggers the hosts outbound mail filters to stuff my traffic in a blackhole.

So I have again reopened the ticket and asked the host to check why my IP address is triggering their filters. I am not hopeful as the last host rep I spoke to asked me what SMTP was.

They asked you what SMTP was?!

Well, very odd problem. How about simply changing hosts?
    (or use Thunderbird as mail client - I do.) Microsoft - blah!
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Your ISP is not by chance Comcast is it? Or the people your sending messages to don't use Comcast do they? In some misguided effort to reduce spam they have decided to block all kinds of people legit or not. Their blocks sometimes go into neverland. It has gotten to where people have trouble sending email and I have trouble sending email. They also ignore a properly configured SPF mail files and reject anyway. I have not found a permanent solution.

Is your outgoing mail going through your ISP's mail server? If it is, have you tried sending outgoing mail through your server using port 587?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Bill in AZ Guest
    I am using Roadrunner broadband. My choices for broadband providers is very limited due to my location. I use this connection for SMTP to many email servers including RR themselves without an issue except recently on this particular host .

I was now told by the host that my dynamic IP address range must be blacklisted, ( I checked and it is not), and I should contact RR to determine the problem. So as I understand it now; this host says that if you use roadrunner as an isp and microsoft as an email client, then all your mail is spam, while thunderbird users who access via roadrunner are OK.

While I could use thunderbird as a client, most of my customers also use the RR/MS combination to send me mail, and the host is marking it as spam. So I would have to filter all the spam myself and not use their filters. As I have little choice in broadband providers and many choices for hosting, I guess the next course of action is clear.

Maybe get a wireless broadband connection through your wireless carrier? Why are you limited in ISPs? Where are you located? I might be able to help you.

-Travis
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

http://totalwebcentral.com/

Bill in AZ Guest
    I am located in Southwest Arizona. Too far from town for DSL to work. Microwave access is available but limited to 512kb at a high cost. Only Verizon offers anything close to true wireless broadband in the area, but the 5gb cap would knock me off very quickly. Much cheaper and easier to change hosts.

No I mean use verizon for your cellphone and use your cellphone as a modem.

As for Arizona and change hosts, do you mean you use multiple shared hosts as proxy servers / reduntant email access?
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

http://totalwebcentral.com/

Bill in AZ Guest
    I have one or more email accounts on each website I manage as well as my ISP. I can send mail via each host without problems except for this one particular host. I know I can work around the problem several different ways, but why should I keep a host that dictates what email clients and ISP's are acceptable to them by trashing my outbound mail without benefit of even a bounce message.

That's odd - I mean, SMTP is SMTP for the most part. Microsoft has Microsoft Discussion Groups where some MVPs tend to hang out from time to time. You might post the question in there to see if anyone has had the similar problem.