Thread: Server spec

Server spec

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help, we currently have a couple of web servers running an application, its running on Windows 2003 standard on server 1 which is a HP DL360 3.06 twin processor and 4GB RAM, the second server 2 is a Dell 1850 server with I think twin 3.60 processor running windows 2003 Enterprise server with 12GB RAM - its is set so it can see all 12GB RAM.

We run an application that uses SQL 2005 Enterprise, SQL can access 6GB RAM (we originally set it at 9GB RAM then back it off to 6GB as we were experiencing problems.

We have just upgraded server 2 because server 1 was slow, we are now finding server is even worse (both run exactly same application) My questions are -

1, Can anyone recommend a server that would be capable of running our application, we do not have an unlimited budget, but would be prepared to spend some money on the right server.

2, Any suggestions what we could do to our existing server for the time being to possibly improve it.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Pete

First thing to look at, the application itself - Is all the SQL optimised? Is the application caching where it can? etc.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

i know that the quad core supermicro 1/2u's that you can find on the net are stellar
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

would you like the model #'s?
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

yes please could you let me have server details.

Thanks

Pete

You're looking at it from the wrong place, taking hardware recommendations without finding the bottle-neck (which is likely to be the application) is going to be wasting money.

As an example, imagine:

Your Software is a car
    The server, is the motorway/interstate

If you car is running slowly/badly, you don't go to the highways agency/dept. and ask them to upgrade the roads because your car is going slowly. You have a mechanic look at your car and see if it is the problem/what can be done to speed it up.
    Last edited by Karl Austin; 02-26-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Are you doing any MS SQL clustering? Sometimes those things can slow performance.

Does sound like you need to investigate your app and fine tune it.

Guys,

Many thanks for your help, it looks like the opinon of most is it might be our application at fault, we are now looking further into this.

Thanks

Pete

Hi,

I work for Pete (nick = repairer)

We have been monitoring the server and noticed that we had flat out on both the processor but the availabel RAM is still lot.

Like pete said, we had 12GB RAM and set SQL memory (server properties in memory tab) to Minimum Server memory (in MB) to 1024 and Maximum server memory (in MB) 6144.

Some guy is saying it Minimum Server memory (in MB) should be 0 and Maximum server memory (in MB) should be 10240. This should allow 2GB for OS which is more than suficient (WIN Server 2003 requires min 512MB)

What do you guys think?

My apologies for breaking the post down to 5 posts as I need min 5 posts in order for me to attach image in my next post.
    Last edited by Armereth; 02-28-2008 at 03:56 AM.

Here is what the Task manager perforamnce chart show. http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...228-153132.gif

As you can see both processor is running at 100% but the available ram is 8GB. Our old server had high CPU usage only when the availabe RAM is low i.e. 300MB. So it looks like in the new server it is using RAM up to 4GB only. Why not all the 8GB? Any idea will be greatly apprecaited?

Thanks a lot

Lim
    Last edited by Armereth; 02-28-2008 at 03:54 AM.

That would suggest that your application is CPU intensive. What program is using 100% of the CPU? Program Logic bug? or maybe you need a server farm to increase the processing power.
    Sitek XEN Hosting - Reliable VPS Hosting

CRM OnDemand - Fully Managed / Customized vTiger Hosting

But this doesnt happen all the time. ...In 48 hrs we monitor, we spotted this flatout abt 4 times and it lasted for abt couple of minutes and then it back to normal. We have tested every areas in the application and none gave 100% for more then 10secs.

Our main concern is it doesnt look like all the ram are used up. Any thing else (apart from Min Memory/MaxMemory setting) that we need to do to use all the aollocated RAM?