Shared Hosting or dedicated?

I have to host 7 websites and 3 vbulletin forums & I am not understanding whether I should go for shared hosting or dedicated.

First I was thinking about shared hosting. But then I calculated the size of the webpages that I have built for the sites and minimum gauranteed visitors expected to my sites. Here's what I came up with...

The space required for each website is about 30mbs right now and I'll be updating all the sites with about 10-20 new articles each week so I would need more space.

Then about bandwidth: About 100-300 visitors are expected on each site daily because I am an advisor on a site and my homepage gets 100-500 new visitors daily.

So I think I should choose dedicated hosting. But I am still not sure so can anybody guide me because am totally new to webhosting and I have heard that for starters shared hosting is good to manage, but I don't want to keep moving from one host to other due to bandwidth or slow server problems because I know my sites are going to grow.

Money isn't an issue because according to my budget, I can spend upto $200 per month for hosting. So can anybody suggest me a managed dedicated webhost? What are your opinions about hostgator? Are they reliable?

are your opinions about hostgator
    They are very popular here on WHT. You can find lots of reviews of them here.
    As for your recquest: it is not so huge to start with dedicated server. Maybe it worth to try out with VPS (managed one)?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Shared hosting will probably suffice for your requirements.
    Gravity Internet - Upgrade to Business Class
    Web and Email Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Servers

Probably, some VPS solution will be the best for your requrements. Look at the VPS Hosting Offers on this forum. There are a lot of proposals.
    Last edited by Andrew_I; 02-26-2008 at 05:03 AM.
    Smart Power Asia - Electronics - Mobile Electronics Store. Sell i-mobile, Oppo, Samsung. Worldwide shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by tema View Post

Shared hosting will suffice for this if you find a quality host that does not overload there servers .

A VPS solution would work well with this aswell
    Amd-Communications - Affordable and Powerful Web Hosting Services www.amd-comms.co.uk
    Toll Free: 0800 043 2336 E-mail: sales[at]amd-comms.co.uk Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - VPS Servers - Fresh IT Solutions

The numbers you are showing will be able to let you start at any shared-hosting environment, but your pages might grow and justify a dedicated server later on. But from the looks of it right now, i would not yet jump that wagon.

While a dedicated server has of course some benefits compared to shared-hosting, it seems to me you are not yet needing it. And be honest we don't leave our light bulbs on whole day, just because we can afford it

My advice would be; check out some good shared-hosting providers, and stay away from overselling hosts, you do not need these type of businesses as your budget is more as enough for a quality host.

If you pick the right hosting provider they should be able to provide you with a complete upgrade path towards a dedicated server. Think about Semi-Dedicated before going to Dedicated i.e.

Hope this helps, good luck with your search for a good provider.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    And be honest we don't leave our light bulbs on whole day, just because we can afford it .
    Lol! I agree with that. But I forgot to mention one thing in my post that I have 2000+ friend circle on net and at least few of them are going to join the forums so I am really concerned about the bandwidth and it shouldn’t happen that the forums are too slow due to shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    They are very popular here on WHT. You can find lots of reviews of them here.
    As for your recquest: it is not so huge to start with dedicated server. Maybe it worth to try out with VPS (managed one)?
    Quote Originally Posted by tema View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_I View Post
    Probably, some VPS solution will be the best for your requrements. Look at the VPS Hosting Offers on this forum. There are a lot of proposals.
    Quote Originally Posted by amdcomms View Post
    Shared hosting will suffice for this if you find a quality host that does not overload there servers .

A VPS solution would work well with this aswell
    Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post

My advice would be; check out some good shared-hosting providers, and stay away from overselling hosts, you do not need these type of businesses as your budget is more as enough for a quality host.

If you pick the right hosting provider they should be able to provide you with a complete upgrade path towards a dedicated server. Think about Semi-Dedicated before going to Dedicated i.e.

Hope this helps, good luck with your search for a good provider.
    Can any of you recommand some reliable shared/VPS hosting providers? And one more thing, I forgot to mention in my post that I have 2000+ friend circle on net and at least few of them are going to join the forums.
    Last edited by newbieonweb; 02-26-2008 at 06:08 AM.

Hello once more;

2000+ friends are a lot of friends but if they don't come to the forum all at once it would not be a big problem. You could also look to semi-dedicated servers (they are handled as shared-hosting, but have much more resources for handling this type of sites).

Personally i did step into the VPS market and quickly made the move to dedicated servers. But if you have to go for VPS i would recommend a company like JaguarPC.com they did help us out a few times, and did have a good impression of them.

Your budget allows you a good Managed Dedicated Server as well. Note that if you take a VPS, also look for Managed VPS unless you are technical enough to patch/upgrade/install software on your own machine.

A managed VPS or Dedicated server solves the issue of not knowing what to do; some managed hosting companies offer managed dedicated servers as if you are on a shared-host.

Good luck with finding the right host for your sites!
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)